Jesus rose on Saturday and NOT Sunday? Help me refute this

So it seems there is all over the web some garbage about our Lord being raised on Saturday and not on Sunday, therefore invalidating Sunday as the Lords day.

Some guys named Daniel Gregg is leading the charge, with the terrible stuff he posted here:

torahtimes.org/First_of_Sabbaths_vs_First_of_Week.html

Here is his website:

torahtimes.org/

I guess he’s some kind of Messianic Saturday guy…:confused:

His main argument is that “Mia Ton Sabbaton” means “the one of the Sabbaths” and not “the first of the week.” He says all the New Testament references to “Mai Ton Sabbaton” is in reference to ONE OF THE SPECIAL Sabbaths, and not a weekly Sabbath, therefore our Lord rose on SATURDAY.

see his words here:

Anyone who has the slightest acquaintance with the Wednesday crucifixion and Sabbath resurrection knows that Thursday that year was the annual Sabbath (cf. Lev. 23:11, 15). This is what Mark 16:1 is referring to. Matthew 28:1 confirms this because it alludes to the annual Sabbath reading: οψε δε σαββατων = Later of [the] Sabbaths. So also John 19:31, which calls the annual Sabbath “great” on account if its being the greatest annual sabbath feast day of the biblical calendar.

He goes this far with reference to Justin Martyr:

Justin was steeped in Greek philosophy and anti-Semitism. Modern scholars who used his arguments and who painted the Jews the way he did would be better off joining the Nazi party. No one can read his writings and compare them with the Torah and Prophets without discerning his massively cultic Scripture twisting and his virulent hatred for things Jewish. Justin is just another heretic created in the crucible of Hadrian’s decrees against Judaism in Rome.

Essentially this is his argument:

"All bibles and bible commentaries are purposely crafted to deceive you into believing our Lord rose on Sunday because they are anti-jewish".

This outrages me for some reason…

Can my Catholic brothers and sisters help me out here? How do we understand this SATURDAY argument, and how do we refute it, given the fact that this man and others claim “one of the Sabbaths” is the correct translation referring to a "special Sabbath? And we have all been duped??

What is this garbage. He uses a lot of big words and fancy arguments, the like of which I am not smart enough to understand or refute.

Help me out please.

The more I research, the more I see this guy Daniel is a rabid anti-Catholic.

He think, from what i’ve read that the Catholic Church, steeped in pagan adoptions created the whole Good Friday, risen Easter Sunday fallacy.

Wow… my head is spinning.

Any thoughts?

There must be some Greek and biblical scholar apologists here that can refute this garbage?

Gladly. It is actually very simple if he changes to the
time zone of first century Judaism. Lol.
Here is a step by step hourly account backed by
the most prominent historians both in and out of
the Church. It’s important to realize Jewish days began
at sundown the night before. Like our Sunday masses
on Saturday night. :slight_smile:

agapebiblestudy.com/documents/Jesus%20Last%20Week%20in%20Jerusalem.htm

Thanks, God bless, I will check out the link…

I find the WORST stuff by accident on the Internet, and this guy Daniel Gregg, spreads the worst Anti-Catholic stuff around. I need to pray for him today.

If anybody else has any info to help refute this please post it!

After a few hours of research I can see this fallacy of our Lord being raised on Saturday is all over the internet. What the heck??

Actually, as far as I have been able to find there is only one clear proof that Jesus rose on the first day of the week. It is in Luke.

CHRIST HONORS THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Christians gathered on the first day of the week because that was the day of the Lord’s greatest triumph over Satan and death. Luke’s Gospel proclaims that Christ rose on the first day of the week. ** [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Luke 24:1, 2, 6, 7, 13, 19-21

“1. But at daybreak on the first day of the week they took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb.
2. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb …
6. He is not here, but he has been raised. Remember what he said …
7. that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners and be crucified, and rise on the third day.” …
13. Now that very day two of them were going to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus …
19 … Jesus the Nazarene …
20. how our chief priests and rulers both handed him over to a sentence of death and crucified him.
21. But we were hoping that he would be the one to redeem Israel; and besides all this, it is now the third day since this took place.”**[/LEFT]

To read on how Jesus also honored this day by appearing on Sunday read

defendingthebride.com/mc/sa/sab25.html

Further, these Wed crucifixion, Sat rising people seem to take the 3 days and 3 nights as literally 3 full days and nights based on Jesus saying “Are there not 12 hours in a day” in John 11:9 I believe…

How do I fight back on this point and the other points?

Help a Catholic Brother out please!

These are the words “mia ton sabbaton” found in Luke and other places that these people use to make their claim…

I’ve found a few places that refute their arguments well, but I was hoping to get some insight here, since my Catholic Brothers and Sisters have been so helpful in the past on this site…

I welcome any and all input, preferably from fellow Catholics. :slight_smile:

Anybody else at all have any input?

Modern Judaizers are a minority but a very noisy minority. They send you cross-eyed with their misinformation. :hypno:

The problem arises when we find an expression of Jesus which doesn’t seem to fit. He said, “Just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” (Matthew 12:40) Now, if Jesus died on Friday afternoon and rose Sunday morning, it would seem more like he was in the grave one day and two nights. That is the way it appears to our thinking anyway.

But its not really the big issue that they are making it out to be. Here is my wordpress article. Hope it helps.

Was Jesus Crucified on Friday?

HI,

I made a new thread on this subject exactly.
God bless,
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11987012#post11987012

Thank you. God Bless.

God bless you. Thanks.

Check this essay Understanding “Mia Ton Sabbaton”

That’s easy. The ancient Jews did not have zero as a number. The first day was counted as day one at the moment the event happened. Not 24 hours later.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.