Jesus' shoulder

I came across this on the net:

catholic-forum.com/saintS/pray0093.htm

And it got me thinking – Catherine Emmerich had stated that the pre-drilled nail hole for the right side of the cross was too far away to fit Jesus’ hand, and thus the soldiers yanked on his arm until Jesus’ hand fit the hole. This was reflected in The Passion of Christ, btw.

Anyway, I used to think "Can people really yank an arm out of a socket so easily? If they really yanked hard, wouldn’t the nail on the other side tear out?

In any event, it crossed my mind that, during one of His falls, Jesus may have separated his shoulder, and thus when it came time to stretch his arm, it was not so difficult. But incredibly painful…

I am by no means expert on this, but I believe it is entirely possible to separate a shoulder by pulling on the arm; I also believe that the Roman expertise on Crucifixion enabled them to nail arms in place in such a way that ‘tearing away’ is all but impossible.

On a related note, I have often imagined Jesus falling flat on his face in one of His falls and breaking his nose (which is not bone but cartilage), and I read recently that one of the scholars examinnig the Shroud of Turin noted that the nose on the shroud appears to be broken.

Chuck

I’ve thought about this often, especially in light of the historical facts behind Roman crucifixion during Jesus time, the likelyhood of having a fixed cross with pre-drilled holes was nil. Also, having the nails bent on the backside of the cross, doesn’t fit the historical facts as we know them.

But then it has come to me lately on this particular issue, that Jesus was not an ordinary man being crucified, and Caiphas, was well aware of the stories going around about Jesus, i.e. Jesus being from heaven, rising from the dead, angels would come to his rescue, and whatever. It may be that Caiphas, in order to prevent anything from going wrong, which the crowd would come to see as divine intervention, had a cross especially made for Jesus, with the pre-drilled holes. He had the nails bent back on the cross to insure that Jesus would not fall from the cross, and create any kind of miracle situation.

Also, other than my own thinking, it’s probably that Catherine Emmerich was given the vision of the Crucifixion, according to what her mind could understand, which I’ve been told, is how most Saints visions are given. It’s why interpretation is critical and left up to the Church.

By the time Catherine Emmerich had these visions, crucifixion was a thing of past centuries and most Europeans had never seen a crucifixion. They had the paintings by artist and hence, this probably influenced Emmerich’s dream.

Just my own thoughts on the subject.

Jim

I have a shoulder condition that allows me to Sublicate (partial dislocation) at will, and yes it is painful–two surguries failed to correct this problem.

Point is, it is entirely possible to pull on the arm and stretch it at the joint of the shoulder as protrayed in the movie.

Ahh, this morning in the shower I was thinking “Could this be the first post ever to reach 100 views and no responses?”

Thanks, all.

I believe Jesus’ nose was broken, actually, while being pummeled with the staff or punched while blindfolded. I mean if you really hate someone and want to punch them in the face, where else would you aim?

I also believe Jesus’ shoulder was dislocated, during one of the falls, hence the wording of the prayer in the link. I’ve read a couple of times that the shoulder injury was the worst.

Ugh.

Here is a prayer you might find interesting : Prayer to the Wound on the Shoulder of Christ :slight_smile:
%between%

That’s a ‘new and improved’ version of the one in my link, and that second Splinters of the Cross poem is pretty awesome :thumbsup:

According to the author of “A Doctor at Calvary,” Pierre Barbet, who examined the Schroud of Turin, the image of the man has a broken nose. The description also fits with the vision from Catherine Emmerich, who said that Jesus nose was broken, but from a club not a punch.

I believe that Catherine Emmerich described it as happening when Jesus fell the first time. A soldier came over and whacked him across the bridge of the nose with his club.

This matches up with the type of nose break the man in the image of the Shroud of Turn has. The image on the shroud, shows a nose break where the man would’ve been kneeling on the ground and the blow from the club would’ve came from a person standing over him. The break is across and downward according to Dr. Barbet.

Jim

That hurts just reading it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.