Jesus 'siblings' thread

I am looking for something very simple so I respectfully request it not be taken beyond this.

I may ask follow up questions, but in general, for now could someone provide me with a list of passages that some what to say mean that Jesus had siblings.

Nothing more complex, though as mentioned I may ask follow ups…

Anyway… Just scripture passages for now :wink:

In Christ

Matthew 12:46-47

46 While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him.
47 Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.”

54 He came to His hometown and began teaching them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?

55 "Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

56 “And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”

Mark 3:31-32

31 Then His mother and His brothers arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called Him.

32 crowd was sitting around Him, and they said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You.”

Mark 6:2-3

2 When the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue; and the many listeners were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get these things, and what is this wisdom given to Him, and such miracles as these performed by His hands?

3 “Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?” And they took offense at Him.

Luke 8:19-20

19 And His mother and brothers came to Him, and they were unable to get to Him because of the crowd.

20 And it was reported to Him, “Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, wishing to see You.”

John 2:12

12 After this He went down to Capernaum, He and His mother and His brothers and His disciples; and they stayed there a few days.

John 7:3-5

3 Therefore His brothers said to Him, "Leave here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples also may see Your works which You are doing.

4 “For no one does anything in secret when he himself seeks to be known publicly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world.”

5 For not even His brothers were believing in Him.

Acts 1:14

14 These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

Galatians 1:

19 But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother.

Matthew 13:55 and Mark 6:3 mention Jesus’ brothers and sisters. John 2:12, John 7:3-5, together with Matthew 12:46-50; Mark 3:31-35 and Luke 8:19-21 all mention brothers.

Matthew 1:25 allows for Joseph “knowing” Mary after Jesus’ birth. Luke 2:7 allows for there to be a second born son.

Outside the Gospels there are Acts 1:14 and 1 Corinthians 9:5.

I got these from en.bibleinfo.com/questions/question.html?id=752 which seems to me to be a good short summary of the various positions.

rossum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.