Jesus' temptation

When we are tempted we sense a pull or an urge to do something that is sinful. Our conscience directs us to make a choice. Our will aligns itself with our experience of God and we obey or the enticement is so strong that we move away from that experience and we fail.

That being said, when Jesus was tempted did He at any moment feel that the alternative to His Father’s will was enticing? In other words, when He saw that stone and was starving did He think that He could feed His stomach and that that could be a choice? Did He for a moment entertain that thought even though it was not His Father’s will? For a definitive temptation to occur He would have had to. I’ve heard some say no. Any opinions???

It was not just a temptation but also a trial so as He could feel as the way we feel. His resistence itself is a no. Dessert

If Jesus did not feel tempted as we do what was the point? Jesus definitely experienced temptation and conquered it with the help of the Holy Spirit.

One does not have to feel anything to have been tempted. Every day TV commercials and ads in magazines and newspapers try to tempt us to spend our money on their products. Only those who can be lured are lured by it.

Jesus could not be lured into sin. He had no concupiscence or urge towards sin. If Satan thought he could get Jesus to make bread out of stone to “prove” his divinity or jump off the Temple parapet to “prove” God’s protection of him, he was sorely mistaken.

Jesus allowed himself to go through this trial to show us that we don’t have to give in to the blandishments of the world, the flesh, and the devil. We can turn our hearts and minds completely to God instead of letting ourselves get sucked into false happiness and the fast way around our problems, etc.

Jesus, along with being fully God, was fully human, so he felt tempted in the same way we all feel tempted. He managed to rise above it, though, and not give into sin.

Being tempted is not a sin. Doing what that temptation tells you to is a sin.

:heart:

So then, there seems to be a concensus that Jesus was tempted just as we are. With this I also agree. So when Jesus saw that stone and was tempted by satan He could have thought, even if for just a moment, boy that would sound good right now and then aligned His human will with His divine will and resisted.

I initiated this post because I spoke with some people that feel that Jesus never even entertained the thought of turning that stone to bread. If He didn’t then not even temptation would have taken place, IMO. Is there anyone out there who holds that same idea as those I spoke with?

Thank you to all who responded. This is a great forum. God Bless you all…:slight_smile:

My bible narrative says Jesus refused to use His power for His own benefit and instead used it for the fullfilling of His obedience to the Father. God Bless you too. Dessert

I think your definition of temptation might be in error here. A person doesn’t have to be inclined to give in to temptation for another to try to tempt him. Satan, IMO, thought, as many people do, that since Jesus was human that he could be tempted. That means that just being human makes one automatically a fallen, wounded creature. But, we were not created fallen and wounded.

Jesus was a pure human being not a fallen, wounded one. His nature had not been corrupted (nor could it be), his intellect had not been darkened (nor could it be), and his will was not weakened (nor could it be). That doesn’t mean that Satan couldn’t try to tempt him. But, it doesn’t at all mean that Jesus had, for even a moment the inclination to give in. He saw instantly what Satan was driving at and rejected it precisely because he was a pure human being not a fallen, wounded one.

Now, yours is the opinion that I was talking about. See everyone?? Both sides sound convincing and brings about my confusion… With what’s highlighted in the quote, where does “temptation” come in?? Any more ideas??:confused:

Della, What do you say to this?? I’m still riding the fence…God Bless :slight_smile:

I say what I said–which was that no one needs to “feel” anything for another to try to tempt him. Jesus’ humanity was perfect–he couldn’t “feel” an inclination to sin. What he probably felt was disgust rather than any desire to “give in.”

O.K. then was it truly temptation as all humans view temptation? I don’t mean to be gross here but if someone offered me feces I would not be “tempted” to eat it as I might chocolate cake.I would feel disgust but not tempted. I’m not trying to provoke I really am trying to understand.:confused: thank you and God bless

tempt http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/premium.gif cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (těmpt) Pronunciation Key
v. tempt·ed, tempt·ing, tempts

v. tr.
[LIST=1]
*]To try to get (someone) to do wrong, especially by a promise of reward.
*]To be inviting or attractive to: A second helping tempted me. We refused the offer even though it tempted us. See Synonyms at lure.
*]To provoke or to risk provoking: Don’t tempt fate.
*]To cause to be strongly disposed: He was tempted to walk out.[/LIST]v. intr.

temp·ta·tion http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngShow Spelled Pronunciation[temp-**tey-shuhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.the act of tempting; enticement or allurement. 2.something that tempts, entices, or allures. 3.the fact or state of being tempted, esp. to evil. 4.an instance of this. 5.(initial capital letterhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png) the temptation of Christ by Satan. Matt. 4

Satan was tempting Jesus to use His power with the Father before His hour was to come. Satan knew and was intimidating Jesus like come on take your first punch as we know he had been after Him since birth. Jesus probably felt like taking Satan out right then because look at all the destruction Satan had done with all the evil since the beginning of time and Satan knew that he just didn’t want to take Jesus out but wanted to screw up the timing as this is what was the plan of salvation. Ever since Eccles. Genisis etc. God had a wonderfull plan and timing was essential. Satan tried the hunger approach and the lust of power of man but nothing worked. He was really trying to mess up just like he did with Eve and Adam, but Jesus knew exactally what the Father wanted Him to do and He couldn’t even share it all with the apostles because anyone of them would have screwed it up too. Enticing ,yes but not just to eat and break the fast but of course that would have been disobedienc to the Father but it was more so to turn the rock to bread otherwise Satan would have brought the bread with him. Yes he is a slimmy character it is no wonder Eve and Adam fell prey to him as you know Satan was a brilliant angel before the fall of the angels , but we have an advocate in that angel realm in St. Michael. Praise to the Trinity IMHO
Dessert

You need to think in the spiritual realm also besides the physical and mental reasoning or emotional. Does that make sense? I don’t think anyone is going to ask me to turn a rock into anything so in a sense yours WE probably wouldn’t end up with that kind of temp, although I could be wrong about that maybe start a thread on the worst temps anyone has had. :thumbsup: We could discuss whether temps are really temps. This is an interesting thread :slight_smile: Dessert

I went thru this on another thread recently. Search temptation and you can read it. What I learned was that Jesus could not be tempted internally, because he does not have concupisence, but only externally, and since his human will was always perfectly aligned with the Divine will, he could not consider the alternatives. I will not reprint all the links and quotes from the catechism here, but it is a good read.

Thank you all so much for your input. As we can see there are differing view-points on this topic and varying degrees of our limited understanding as is with most things concerning our Lord. Guanophore, I will search your references. Thanks again and God Bless all…:slight_smile:

We do have great temptations and that would make a most interesting thread. Most would retreat due to shame and that’s how we know God’s will…God Bless…teachccd

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.