Jesus The Messiah

Hello All!

Im struggling with Jesus as the Messiah. Ive been a Catholic all my life and I recently deiced that i want to peruse the Catholic Priesthood. But recently i believe Satan has been tempting me into believe that Jesus was not the Messiah. I saw a video with a Rabbi who said that Jesus didn't fulfill all the prophecies. Since he didnt rebuild the temple (but wasnt the temple still around when Jesus was alive?) and Jesus didnt save the Kingdom is Israel. These things have just shocken my faith and i would like some geopolitics on these issue. And please pray for me!

God Bless,
Arnold

Why are you surprised that someone who denies Jesus was the Christ would come up with ways to prove his unbelief? Rebuild the Temple? Didn’t the Scriptures make it clear that He was referring to His body (which was raised on the third day)? Save all of Israel? Didn’t Paul explain this in Romans 9:6 (“Not as though the word of God hath miscarried. For all are not Israelites that are of Israel:” DRA) and Romans 2:28-29 (" For it is not he is a Jew, who is so outwardly; nor is that circumcision which is outwardly in the flesh: But he is a Jew, that is one inwardly; and the circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."*DRA). Seems clear to me that Jesus is drawing the true Israel to Himself.

I will pray that God would reveal His truth to you. Don’t ever doubt that Jesus IS who the Scriptures proclaim Him to be - the only begotten Son of God, through whom all things were created!

Pax!

[quote="Cachonga, post:2, topic:324938"]
Why are you surprised that someone who denies Jesus was the Christ would come up with ways to prove his unbelief?

[/quote]

I was just thinking that! Thanks for your reply it helped alot. My understanding is that Jesus is not what the Jews were expecting(since they wanted a material worldly leader) so they rejected him.

[quote="disneyfan1206, post:1, topic:324938"]
Hello All!

Im struggling with Jesus as the Messiah. Ive been a Catholic all my life and I recently deiced that i want to peruse the Catholic Priesthood. But recently i believe Satan has been tempting me into believe that Jesus was not the Messiah. I saw a video with a Rabbi who said that Jesus didn't fulfill all the prophecies. Since he didnt rebuild the temple (but wasnt the temple still around when Jesus was alive?) and Jesus didnt save the Kingdom is Israel. These things have just shocken my faith and i would like some geopolitics on these issue. And please pray for me!

God Bless,
Arnold

[/quote]

First of all, thank you for being open to the possibility that God is calling you to the priesthood.

The Old Testament has several prophecies, some of which are messianic in nature (i.e., they pertain to who the Messiah will be and what he will do). But the OT does not specifically label which prophecies are, indeed, messianic, and it does not give details as to exactly how the prophecies are fulfilled. Simply put, they are vague and open to a variety of interpretations. Moreover, Judaism does not have a body such as the Magisterium to provide official interpretations of Scripture. In light of all this, the Jews have historically debated among themselves (including rabbis and learned scholars) as to which prophecies are about the Messiah, and how the Messiah is to fulfill them.

Therefore, in the video you saw, the rabbi was simply giving you his personal interpretation of Scripture and judging the concept of Jesus being the Messiah against it. For example, how does the Messiah rebuild the temple? Some say that it means that the Messiah will kick the Muslims out the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, hire a demolition crew to tear down that mosque and then hire a construction crew to haul in stones and build a new temple. And what would be the purpose of this new temple? It would allow the Jews to reinstate the levitical priesthood and offer sacrifices once again. Of course (as the OT prophets repeatedly pointed out), God was often displeased with the sacrifices they offered in the past, and Judaism has gotten along without sacrifices since the temple was destroyed in 70 A.D., so I personally fail to see why the construction of a stone building (even if that building happens to be the temple) is such an messianic undertaking.

But Jesus said that his body is the true temple, and that his resurrection is the promised rebuilding. In Revelation we learn that we are not supposed to be fixated on the old Jerusalem and the old temple, but rather the new Jerusalem and the new temple, which is heaven. Heaven, after all, is our destination, and we get there through the grace and power of Christ, who is the true temple (this concept permeates the Gospel of John).

In the context of this discussion, there are two kinds of Jews: those who believe that Jesus fulfilled the messianic prophecies, and those who do not. Either side has to appeal to their personal interpretation of the Scripture passages in question because (as I pointed out) there is no official Jewish interpretation. Those who believe that Jesus fulfilled the messianic prophecies compose the hundreds of thousands of Jews who converted to Christianity over the centuries, starting with the apostles themselves. Today you will find a number of websites created by messianic Jews (the general term used to describe Jews who accept Jesus as the Messiah but retain the ritual practices of Judaism) detailing exactly how Jesus fulfilled the OT prophecies. These messianic Jews include rabbis and scholars and (from a Jewish perspective) their interpretation of Scripture is just as valid as that of the rabbi in the video you saw. Note that many other Jews do not join one of the messianic Jewish churches, but rather convert to Catholicism, an Orthodox Church or a Protestant denomination (and therefore do not refer to themselves as "messianic Jews" but rather, "Catholics", "Baptists", etc.).

Here are some links concerning messianic Jews that I am posting to support what I have presented in this thread. Keep in mind that when you see the name "Yeshua", it is the Hebrew spelling of Jesus. Another common reference to Jesus is "Mashiach ben David" (meaning the Messiah from the line of David).

Jews for Jesus: "What Proof Do You Have that Jesus Was the Messiah?"

Jews for Jesus: "Prophecy"

Messianic Jewish Rabbinical Council

And here are examples of Christian responses to the claim that Jesus did not fulfill the OT's messianic prophecies:

"Messianic Prophecies Fulfilled by Jesus" by ScriptureCatholic.com

"Did Jesus Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies?" by Beatrice S. Neall, Ph.D. (her website, including this article, is a response to the challenges to Christians set forth in Rabbi Tovia Singer’s “Let’s Get Biblical” series).

"Does Jesus Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies?" from ProveTheBible.net

Gratia vobis et pax multiplicetur,
Fr. Eric
Diocese of Savannah

You should pursue your goals, be the holiest priest you can if that is what you discern is your calling, and not pay too much attention to those who may disagree with your religious convictions.

The prophecy about the rebuilt temple is Ezekiel 40-46. Why not take a few minutes to read it and form your own opinion?

To be honest, I am not sure how you can blame the Jews for not accepting Jesus. First of all, it is a sin in Judaism to worship a man as God. The Torah states that God is not a man and has no son. Second, God has always been described as “one” by the Torah and Jewish sources. Now all of a sudden he is three persons in One God? Clearly, Jesus did not fulfill many of the messianic prophecies. He did nor gather the Jews back to Israel. He did not usher in the era of world peace. He did not bring and end to all war.

The other problem is that of sacrifice. Nowhere in the OT does it say that sacrifices were the only means for obtaining forgiveness of sins. In fact on certain occasions, God even tells the children of Israel that he doesn’t want their sacrifices but rather the repentance of their hearts. In Jonah 3:10, we see that one does not need a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. There, the Bible simply states that Gd saw the works of the people of Niniveh. Specifically it says that these works consisted of abandoning their evil ways, and because they did, Gd forgave them. There are many other examples. Therefore, as was stated earlier, the idea that one needs a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins is unbiblical.

The Church Fathers, who weren’t worried about political correctness, described the Jews as having a ‘carnal’ understanding of the promises of Scripture. This has to be seen in the context of the Christian tradition of Scriptural commentary where much emphasis is placed upon the spiritual meaning of what is written and not so much on the literal or purely material. This is not to deny the truth of Scripture but to accept that what is written in it has a purpose which is deeper and higher than merely to be a collection of facts.

What the Old Testament and the Old Covenant represent are foreshadowings or imperfect types of what becomes perfect in the New Dispensation. The* Letter to the Hebrews* is a brief summary and introduction to this approach. I recommend that you get a good Catholic study Bible or a commentary on it by one of the Fathers and spend some time studying it.

The Jews who say that our Lord did not fulfil the prophecies mean by this that He did not fulfil them as they understand them to be. This does not men that He did not fulfil them as God understood them to be.

talk to a priest, you sound like you need extra help.

I will pray for you because last year I fell into the same doubt about Jesus, thanks to a Muslim friend who obviously believes that Jesus was simply a prophet and not Our Lord and Savior. These people can be very convincing, even logically so, when you talk to them.

But remember the words of Jesus Christ himself when he told us “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”. No one expected the messiah to be a humble, merciful man of low birth status who willingly gave himself up to be tortured and crucified. Everyone expected, and still expects, the messiah to be a great and powerful person who could command people with natural authority, cure all ills with a single breath and destroy evil with a host of armed angels at his side.

Jesus was not what everyone was expecting. But He is the messiah. The temple was destroyed and rebuilt anew. They crucified him and he resurrected. Thanks to him, we who believe him now know the way to Heaven.

I spent a lot of time reflecting on this last Lent after doubts arose, as I said, thanks to a Muslim friend’s remarks about Jesus. I suggest the next time you have doubts that you pray to Jesus and tell him about it. I’m sure he will answer you as he answered me, quieting my restless mind and pointing me to the gospels to re-read and meditate on the true meaning of the scriptures.

:blessyou:

Look, if these questions are causing you to struggle with the idea of Jesus as the Messiah then perhaps the priesthood is not for you. I would seriously recommend getting a Catholic priest for a spiritual advisor and let the Jewish rabbi to his own devices.

i think this battle is something you need to go through if you want to be a good strong priest.

You are not alone, even the people at Jesus time did not believe Him. They crucified Him because they did not think that the ‘Messiah’ would come in that manner.
When Jesus asked His disciples …‘whom do you think I am?’ and Simon Peter replied, “you are the Christ (Messiah) of God”, Jesus replied that it was through divine revelation that Peter said so. Jesus came as a ‘suffering’ Messiah so that He may reach mankind. If he came with His heavenly glory, he’d not have accomplished His mission. The message of Christ & his death on the cross looks folly but its the power of God unto salvation.
Christ came for all mankind and not only the Isrealites. He actually accomplished God’s mission by defeating the devil and making a way through which mankind can enter heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.