Jesus with feathers

I am getting a bird sometime soon and I was thinking about naming him “Jesus”. I I want to name him that because

1. it will remind me of Jesus Christ
  2. naming it after a person I admire
  3. cute name :o

but I have a hunch its offensive. I don’t know why it would be offensive but I just have a feeling it is. Do you think I should go ahead and name him that or no? Its going to be a little budgie either green or white or blue, probably blue.

Hispanic people name their children Jesus (pronounced Hey Zeus)

What an interesting question.

I have many students named Jesus. Their families are from Mexico and see nothing wrong or unusual about this.

A bird? Well, if you want your bird to remind you to pray and be named after someone you admire, how about calling it St. Francis, or Mother Teresa, pick some other saint or blessed.

Or you could just call the bird Prayer. :thumbsup: That might do it.

If it feels uncomfortable to you, it probably isn’t the choice for you. I personally see nothing offensive, so long as you don’t start talking about how your bird is the Son of God and died for your sins. :eek:

Gertie

If you name the bird “Jesus”, I would definitely use the “Hey-Zeus” pronunciation. Or you could name the bird Emmanuel. :slight_smile:

newadvent.org/cathen/05404a.htm

Personally, I would be uncomfortable naming any pet after God or a saint (for the very reason you mention). Of the four cats we’ve had since our marriage, I’ve named one, and I called him Clive (after C.S. Lewis, one of my favorite authors). (BTW, it turned out to be a most unfortunate name, as he is unspeakably dumb, as in he never remembers who we are, even though we saved him from death by starvation; he runs from us! You never know if a pet is going to honor or dishonor its namesake!)

Children, after all, are made in God’s image and should aspire to sainthood, but no matter how good a pet is, it is not made in His image or on the path to holiness! :smiley:

The title of your post made me laugh, as it called to mind a hideous supposedly “crucifix” sculpture I once saw hanging above an altar in Arizona. Honestly, this thing looked like a barbed wire bird about to do its business on the priest’s head! Our Lord was not honored by this “art”!:stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for making me laugh out loud- an unusual accomplishement.

There was an old story of a burglar crawling in the window to a convent when he heard a voice: “Jeus is watching you.”

He looked around, saw no one so continued in. The voice said again; “Jesus is watching you.”

He shown his light around the room and spotted a parrot saying: “Jesus is watching you.”

He started to laugh as the parrot said; “Bite him Jesus.” As he turned around he saw the sisters’ Rottweiller coming at him with bared fangs. :eek:

Really? I think “Bosco” would be the coolest name for a little male dog.

I wouldn’t name a pet “Jesus” or “Mary,” though.

I have different version;

Late one night, a burglar broke into a house he thought was empty. He tiptoed through the living room but suddenly he froze in his tracks when he heard a loud voice say: “Jesus is watching you!”

Silence returned to the house, so the burglar crept forward again. “Jesus is watching you,” the voice boomed again. The burglar stopped dead again. He was frightened. Frantically, he looked all around. In a dark corner, he spotted a bird cage and in the cage was a parrot. He asked the parrot:

“Was that you who said Jesus is watching me?” “Yes,” said the parrot. The burglar breathed a sigh of relief and asked the parrot: “What’s your name?” “Clarence,” said the bird.

“That’s a silly name for a parrot,” sneered the burglar. “What crazy guy named you Clarence?” The parrot said, “The same crazy guy who named the Doberman Jesus.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.