Jesus' Writings?

I was wondering why did Jesus not ever write anything down for us to have?

[quote=sean reed]I was wondering why did Jesus not ever write anything down for us to have?
[/quote]

Depends on how you look at it…

We have the scriptures, which are inspired by the Holy Spirit and are profitable that we might be full equipped for every good work. They are no less divine than if the Second Person of the Holy Trinity put pen to paper.

Another way to look at it is that Jesus didn’t want us to live exclusively in a book, so why would he write us one? We are not people of the book. We are a family, a community. As a community we look to our leaders to guide us. As a family, we look to our fathers to guide us. In a way, that’s much better than a book because we can ask questions and get responses. If we misunderstand, we can be corrected. Furthermore, no book can hold our hand on our walk to Jesus.

Just my two cents.

God Bless,
RyanL

I would add, as Ryan said, that we are Children of the WORD, rather than of the book.

Hello Sean,

God wrote the ten commandments in stone with His own hand. The rest of the story was delivered by His prophets who possessed the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit blows where it wills throughout the Church and it guides her along her way just as was the case with Old Testament prophets.

[quote=LSK]I would add, as Ryan said, that we are Children of the WORD, rather than of the book.
[/quote]

Or, the way I’ve heard it phrased: not Sola Scriptura, but Sola Verbum Dei.

Just a few thoughts on the importance of the written word.

Only in the last couple of centuries (and then only in the wealthier nations) have books been so available that people take it for granted that we are supposed to learn from books. Most people learned from the spoken word.

When for most of human history most of humanity could not read, the spoken word is what was passed down from generation to generation. No need for paper, no need for printing presses, no need for money…only the need for hearts on fire and the handing down of Christ’s teachings.

People forget that the first books of the Bible were passed on as oral tradition for hundreds of years before it was witten down.

Thank you,

Your replies make a lot of sense.

Being a recent convert from protestantism I still have somewhat of a residue of sola scriptura.

[quote=sean reed]I was wondering why did Jesus not ever write anything down for us to have?
[/quote]

My own opinion, and that’s all it is, is that Jesus did not want to diminish the authority of His Church by writing down any Scripture. By leaving the entire deposit of faith in the minds of the Apostles and first disciples, that is, the leaders of the early Church, He helped insure that authority.

because He spent most of his years of ministry travelling by foot the length and breadth of the land, including pagan areas like Samaria, and laptops had not yet been invented. He revealed the Truth by His words and actions and by the His entire life on Earth from the Incarnation through His passion, death, resurrection and ascension. This trumps any book He could have written. He IS the Word, He did not write the Word. As John tells us the world is not big enough to hold all of the books that would have to be written to tell everything He said and did.

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.