Jesus Wrong About the Second Coming?

Hello,

I’ve been inquiring into the Catholic faith for a while and one of the things that raises skepticism in my mind regards the second coming. It seems clear in the gospels (and probably elsewhere) that the early Christians and Jesus himself believed that the second coming would come within the lifetime of some of the people alive around that time (Matthew 16:28, Mark 9:1, Luke 9:27). However, obviously, it did not happen. How is it that Catholics reconcile this without being ad hoc by appealing to some far out interpretation of scripture?

Best,

Isaiah 1169

Isaiah in Christ,

In reference to Matthew 16:28 I would refer you to the Haydock Bible Commentary which makes the following observations which I personally do not consider to be a far out interpretation of scripture:

Ver. 28. Till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Some expound this, as fulfilled at his transfiguration, which follows in the next chapter. Others understand it of the glory of Christ, and of his Church, after his resurrection and ascension, when he should be owned for Redeemer of the world: and this state of the Christian Church might be called the kingdom of Christ. (Witham) — This promise of a transitory view of his glory he makes, to prove that he should one day come in all the glory of his Father, to judge each man according to his works: not according to his mercy, or their faith, but according to their works. (St. Augustine, de verb. apos. serm. 35.) — Again, asks St. Augustine, how could our Saviour reward every one according to his works, if there were no free will? (lib. ii. chap. 4. 5. 8, de act. cum Fœlic. Manich.) (Bristow)

In Mark and Luke the reference to the Transfiguration follows immediately in the next set of verses. To me the connection and context are pretty obvious. I hope that helps.

You are right in that many did believe that the second coming of Jesus would be very soon after his resurrection, but people have been speculating along these lines throughout history and are still doing so today. Some of them making rather specific predictions which have not come true. Jesus tells us that only the Father knows the day and the hour per Matthew 24:36.

God bless.

Thank you Pax, it does help. Interestingly, I noticed that a commentary in my bible said that the Transfiguration was the event where Jesus takes three disciples to a mountaintop to see the Kingdom of God coming in power as it will boost their faith after having been told about the coming of Jesus’s suffering, death, and resurrection.

I used to wonder about this one, too. And I still do. But Matt. 16:28, some have said, does refer to the Transfiguration.

Could it not also refer to the Resurrection, where we see Jesus in all His glory? Or even to the death of Jesus?

In Luke, did not the good thief ask, “Remember me when you come into your kingdom”?
And did not Jesus reply, “Today you shall be with Me in paradise”?

So, no, not necessarily. But I don’t blame you for asking. It is a good question. A lot of people thought the Kingdom was coming soon - Saint Paul among them.

I got it in my head that Jesus is the living word and the bible records his living word and John in revelations “sees” the second coming and the end times and he records the living word. So, John lived to ‘see’ the second coming which is suggested in the conversation where Jesus says “so what is it to you if one lives to the end?” And since the bible is the record of the living word it will be around until the end, but no one knows the day and the time, only the Father…
And wasn’t this foretold in the OT? Isaiah or Daniel??? Sorry if it sounds confusing…

See the following references:
565 Cf. ⇒ Rev 22:20.

566 ⇒ Acts 1:7; Cf. ⇒ Mk 13:32.

567 Cf. ⇒ Mt 24:44; ⇒ I Th 5:2; ⇒ 2 Th 2:3-12.

568 ⇒ Rom I 1:20-26; cf. ⇒ Mt 23:39.

569 ⇒ Acts 3:19-21.

570 ⇒ Rom 11:15.

571 ⇒ Rom 11:12, ⇒ 25; cf. ⇒ Lk 21:24.

572 ⇒ Eph 4:13; ⇒ I Cor 15:28.

573 Cf. ⇒ Lk 18:8; ⇒ Mt 24:12.

574 Cf. ⇒ Lk 21:12; ⇒ Jn 15:19-20.

575 Cf. ⇒ 2 Th 2:4-12; ⇒ I Th 5:2-3; 2 ⇒ Jn 7; ⇒ I Jn 2:1 8, ⇒ 22.

Jesus knew the time but it was not the will of the Father that he reveal it, so he didn’t. Since the birth of Christ was the beginning of the final age, the early Christians mistakenly thought the end would be within their life time. But neither Christ or his Apostles or the other disciples said anything to justify this opinion. They were simply warned " to be prepared. "

Linus2nd

Jesus isn’t wrong.

Jesus was just talking about the Age of Pisces. :egyptian:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age#The_Age_of_Pisces_.28The_Piscean_Age.29

I got this book from CA and it’s exactly what you need for this issue.
shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/n/end-of-the-world.jpg What Jesus Really Said About The End Of The World

$14.95

Christ comes again, everyday, in The Holy Eucharist

Matthew 16:28
King James Version (KJV)
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

This was fulfilled when Jesus was resurrected:

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Mark 9:1
King James Version (KJV)
9 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

This was fulfilled at the Pentecost:
Acts 2
King James Version (KJV)
2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Luke 9:27
King James Version (KJV)
27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

This is also fulfilled at Pentecost.

Sincerely,

De Maria

In Matthew 28 Christ gives the great commission to go out and preach the gospel to ALL the nations. That takes more than one lifetime of the apostles. It seems like it has taken a long time for enough gentiles to be grafted onto the vine for the vineyard to be full enough. I look for the passages that talk about the “age of the Church” to understand somewhat of God’s salvific plan.

You are misunderstanding the second coming with Jesus just simply coming to do something specific at a certain time to certain people in a certain circumstance of intervention.

Consider the opposite also, Jesus Christ came to the right hand of the Father, entering a position of power, it is referenced in Daniel 7:13, it is the passage of Matthew 16:28 etc it is the sign of the son of man coming on clouds Matthew 24:30 and it is witnessed by Stephen in Acts 7:56.

Matthew 16:27 “For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done. 28 Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

17 Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. 2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. 3 Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 4 Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I[a] will make three dwellings** here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 5 While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved;[c] with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. 7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” 8 And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.

Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. 25 What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves? 26 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words, of them the Son of Man will be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27 But truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.”

28 Now about eight days after these sayings Jesus[f] took with him Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. 29 And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. 30 Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to him. 31 They appeared in glory and were speaking of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.

Mark 9:1 And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come with[a] power.”

2 Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain apart, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, 3 and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no one** on earth could bleach them. 4 And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, who were talking with Jesus. 5 Then Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three dwellings,[c] one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” 6 He did not know what to say, for they were terrified. 7 Then a cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud there came a voice, “This is my Son, the Beloved;[d] listen to him!” 8 Suddenly when they looked around, they saw no one with them any more, but only Jesus.

Seems pretty clear that Jesus is referring to the Transfiguration, as the Gospel writers put the Transfiguration directly after this reference He made. Also, note, Jesus said there are SOME standing here, not ALL.

At the Second Coming, ALL will see Him coming in glory.

Also, there are other references where Jesus talks about impending doom. Some of this refers to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD, when the Old Covenant was permanently ended and all sacrifices stopped. And these warnings of impending doom also have deeper meanings where He is also referencing the end of the world and the Second Coming. Jesus and His words have multiple layers.

God bless you on your spiritual journey, keep the questions coming!****

I second the recommendation.

I heartily third it.

Also, there are some great talks on this issue by Brant Pitre.
I’d recommend Jesus & the End Times, especially the first talk by Brant Pitre.
The outline of this talk is available here.

From Dr. Pitre’s outline (linked above):
3. The Problem: Apparent Non-Fulfillment of Jesus’ Prophecy
[INDENT]a. C. S. Lewis: “The most embarrassing verse in the Bible”
b. Albert Schweitzer: Jesus was a failed “apocalyptic prophet”
c. Bertrand Russell: Why I am Not a Christian and the Divinity of Jesus
d. The False Prophet (see Deut 17:19-22)4. Solution: Jesus is speaking of Two Distinct Events in the Olivet Discourse
a. The Destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 70 A.D.
b. The End of the World that will take place at His Parousia[/INDENT]

True.

That takes more than one lifetime of the apostles.

So? Jesus said some standing there would still be alive when He came back. He came back from the dead when He was resurrected.

It seems like it has taken a long time for enough gentiles to be grafted onto the vine for the vineyard to be full enough.

Full enough for what? Jesus comes back in the Eucharist, everyday. And Jesus came back from the dead in the lifetime of all the Apostles.

I look for the passages that talk about the “age of the Church” to understand somewhat of God’s salvific plan.

You are the only one who cares what you look for. We, Catholics, obey the Word of God. And the Word of God is clear that Jesus came back from the dead in the lifetime of the Apostles. And went to sit at the right hand of the Father, in the lifetime of the Apostles.

Your individual opinion is worth nothing. God gave the Church the charism of infallibility.

Ephesians 3:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

John “saw” the second coming of Jesus before he died and he wrote it down for us to read. It’s in Revelations. And the good part is that not one word will pass away before Jesus comes again for us…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.