Jesus's Baptism

The Peace of the Lord be with all of you,

It is written in the New Testament that John the Baptist baptised our Lord Jesus Christ.

A reason why we are baptised is that for our Original sin to be forgiven. Our Lord Jesus, of course, is sinless. He is not affected by any sin including the original sin from Adam and Eve.

So why was Our Lord Jesus baptised?

I am just curious. I am not denying or refusing my faith

God be with us all

To set the example for us to follow.

I like the Preface for that Mass.

It is truly right and just,
our duty and our salvation,
always and everywhere to give you thanks,
Lord, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God.

For in the waters of the Jordan
You revealed with signs and wonders
a new Baptism,
so that through the voice that came down from heaven
we might come to believe in your Word dwelling among us,
and by the Spirit’s descending in the likeness of a dove
we might know that Christ your Servant
has been anointed with the oil of gladness
and sent to bring the good news to the poor.

And so, with the Powers of heaven,
we worship you constantly on earth,
and before your majesty without end we acclaim:

It expands on the “why” Christ did it in a beautiful way.

Father David addressed it perfectly.

Some theologians have also linked Christ’s baptism as his annointing as the Messiah. To be clear, he was ALWAYS God, but Messiah is a title given to the annointed king of Israel.

The parting of the heavens over the Jordan has also been linkef with the parting of the Jordan for Joshua of Nun (Joshua being the same name as Jesus, just derived through different languages) when he led the Israelites into the promised land.

And another parallel, Elisha succeeded Elijah at the Jordan, and Elisha was a greater prophet. John certainly came in the spirit of Elijah, Christ’s baptism marked the ascension of Jesus’ ministry and the decline of John’s, and, as evidenced when Christ asked his disciples who the people thought he was, many saw parellels between Jesus and Elisha.

There are many connections.

Hi!

…it was God’s Ordination:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]29 All the people who heard him, and the tax collectors too, acknowledged God’s plan by accepting baptism from John; 30 but by refusing baptism from him the Pharisees and the lawyers had thwarted what God had in mind for them.

(St. Luke 7:29-30)
…the religious refused to heed the Call to repentance; it is the reason why Christ chastises them:

13 ‘Alas for you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You who shut up the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces, neither going in yourselves nor allowing others to go in*b] who want to.

(St. Matthew 23:13)
…had Jesus not being Baptized, they would undoubtedly attempt to use that as an excuse to circumvent God’s Plan:

24 You blind guides! Straining out gnats and swallowing camels!

(St. Matthew 23:24)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Yes. It’s no accident that the Baptism of Christ happened at the same spot. Right outside the city of Jherico.

And another parallel, Elisha succeeded Elijah at the Jordan, and Elisha was a greater prophet. John certainly came in the spirit of Elijah, Christ’s baptism marked the ascension of Jesus’ ministry and the decline of John’s, and, as evidenced when Christ asked his disciples who the people thought he was, many saw parellels between Jesus and Elisha.

There are many connections.

Again, a geographic connection because the spring that Elijah made fresh (by casting salt) is also right near that spot on the Jordan.

It’s amazing. When one visits the site itself, it’s undeniable that all those events happened at the same place. The geography is such that there’s no other place those events could have happened; the terrain for miles around just doesn’t allow it.

It is truly right and just is one of my fav parts of Mass.

:thumbsup:

Thank you for posting that. I’ve never really heard that portion clearly so this will give me a better understanding next Sunday.

This is just my opinion, but Jesus came to fulfill the role of the High Priest in Judaism. He represents us before God.

On the Day of Atonement, the High Priest, before he entered the Holy of Holies to make atonement, was immersed in water. So Jesus, as he was beginning his ministry as our High Priest, was also immersed in water–Jesus fulfills the role of our High Priest in all ways.

Yes :slight_smile:
And, as He explained to John the Baptist, it was to fulfill all righteousness.

Hi!

I see the connection you’ve made… but Jesus did not come to fulfill the role of the Judaic high priest… the intro given Him: “the Lamb of God, Who takes away the sin of the world.”

…the Judaic high priest would only offer atonement, for the sin of the people and for himself, in a mirroring of the Heavenly Offering… so while there is a connection, Christ’s Priesthood is of an elevated Value:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]21 And we have the supreme high priest over all the house of God.

(Hebrews 10:1-39)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Jesus’ Priesthood is most certainly of an elevated value, but there is more than just a connection. Jesus is our High Priest, taking up in himself the role of the high priest in the Old Testament, and also the role of the victim (the Lamb). Christ as the true High Priest is the central theme of the Letter to the Hebrews. The role of high priest in the old covenant was, in part, a type or shadow of the salvific work of Jesus as High Priest.

Hi, JD!

I fully concur!

…it is not a continuation but an elevation:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]11 Now if perfection had been reached through the levitical priesthood because the Law given to the nation rests on it, why was it still necessary for a new priesthood to arise, one of the same order as Melchizedekc] not counted as being ‘of the same order as’ Aaron? 12 But any change in the priesthood must mean a change in the Law as well. 13 So our Lord, of whom these things were said, belonged to a different tribe, the members of which have never done service at the altar; 14 everyone knows he came from Judah, a tribe which Moses did not even mention when dealing with priests. 15 Thisd] becomes even more clearly evident when there appears a second Melchizedek, who is a priest 16 not by virtue of a law about physical descent, but by the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it was about him that the prophecy was made: You are a priest of the order of Melchizedek, and for ever. 18 The earlier commandment is thus abolished, because it was neither effective nor useful, 19 since the Law could not make anyone perfect; but now this commandment is replaced by something better – the hope that brings us nearer to God. 20 What is more, this was not done without the taking of an oath. The others, indeed, were made priests without any oath; 21 but he with an oath sworn by the one who declared to him: The Lord has sworn an oath which he will never retract: you are a priest, and for ever. 22 And it follows that it is a greater covenant for which Jesus has become our guarantee. 23 Then there used to be a great number of those other priests, because death put an end to each one of them; 24 but this one, because he remains for ever, can never lose his priesthood.

(Hebrews 7:11-24)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

And I understand what you’re saying, but I see a connection, not only with Jesus’ baptism and the high priest, but with other portions of various ceremonies on the Day of Atonement. Yes, you’re right in saying that Jesus’ sacrifice was of a higher value, but Jesus is both the High Priest who represents us before God, and our atoning sacrifice. In the Book of Revelation–the vision that John has of Jesus–Jesus is seen in the garments of the High Priest.

A couple of examples:

During the Day of Atonement ceremony, the High Priest changed his garments 5 times–actually the exact number of times that Jesus was stripped of his garments and changed into other clothes between the times he was arrested and buried. (according to the Gospel of Mark) It cannot be merely a coincidence, but another specific detail that God planned and used to foreshadow Christ’s ministry as our High Priest and to show that Christ fulfills the requirements of the law and the sacrifice. The High Priest performed the ceremony, but Jesus himself enacted it–he is both the High Priest and the sacrifice.

The choosing of Barabbas over Jesus was the fulfillment of the scapegoat ceremony on the Day of Atonement. Many details of Christ’s last few days on earth fulfill a literal combination of the Passover and the Day of Atonement, and he is the fulfillment of all the sacrifices put together.

Thanks for reading.

The two baptisms are different in their nature and their effects.

The Baptism that Jesus instituted is a sacramental baptism, which brings sacramental grace, forgiveness of sins, and entry into the Church.

The Baptism that John performed was a cleansing, meant to prepare one’s heart for the coming of the Messiah and the Kingdom of God.

Jesus wasn’t baptized as we are; he participated only in John’s baptism.

Does that help?

Hi!

You are correct; there are various types (connections) with these events; my concern was to not limit Christ’s Priesthood to a continuation of the Judaic priesthood… as you’ve noted, the Judaic priesthood is a mirroring (type) of Christ’s, and, as He Came to Fulfill the Law, He worked through the materials of the Law.

Maran atha!

Angel

:slight_smile:

Yes, absolutely.

We could certainly keep going.

It is not like there is only 1 answer to this question. There are all kinds of reasons and parallels we could find.

Likewise, an important element of the overall conversation.

There’s no single answer to the question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.