Jesus's Birthday

A friend asked this question,"is Jesus’s birthday really Dec. 25th as we know it?"She had heard that it was actually in the summer months.

[quote=Larry Schaub]A friend asked this question,"is Jesus’s birthday really Dec. 25th as we know it?"She had heard that it was actually in the summer months.
[/quote]

Some have speculated that it is unlikely that Christ was born on Dec. 25th. However, no one has shown that it was impossible or that it is ruled out. I myself believe in serendipity. That is, even if His birthdate was lost and the ones who set the date picked it by randomly throwing darts at a calander, God guided them to correct date. It is perfectly acceptable to believe it was Dec. 25th.

Scott,
Thank you! As for me it really doesn’t matter.Somehow, if it wasn’t, it wouldn’t ruin the fact that GOD sent HIS only SON to save us from our sinful ways.This person just tries anything possible to try and either stump me or try to make the Catholic faith look bad.I keep praying and maybe GOD will find a way to convert her.My efforts so far have been unfruitful!

The date of Christ’s birth was not important to early Christians. The Resurrection was the all encompassing Holy Day. Christ’s birth date of December 25 corresponds with the birth of the sun god…

Since we’re Christians, we don’t worship the sun god, but the Son of God. Just because we celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25 doesn’t mean we are secretly worshipping Mithra, or Sol Invictus.

Baldwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.