Jesus's Blood

My wife has had some questions regarding the Catholic Faith. One question that she is stuck on is when is the Blood of Jesus applied to a Catholics life? At what point do Catholics get saved? Thank you

The Catholic should reply to this question: "As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:18, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15).

One can be confident of one’s present salvation. This is one of the chief reasons why God gave us the sacraments—to provide visible assurances that he is invisibly providing us with his grace. And one can be confident that one has not thrown away that grace by simply examining one’s life and seeing whether one has committed mortal sin. (And if we have, we can go to Reconciliation and be forgiven.)

Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."
~from a Catholic Answers tract Assurance of Salvation.

With Baptism, known as the “sacrament of faith”, constituting our first public profession of faith, we die to our old life and rise to newness of life. We’re washed, cleansed, made new creations, born again or born anew. We’re justified as God’s life is imparted into us, as the Trinity comes to make their home in us.

As St. Joan of Arc said: “If I am not, may God so place me; if I am, may God so keep me. I should be the saddest in all the world if I knew that I were not in the grace of God.”

We are saved every time we repent fully of our sins and strive to sin no more.

Rather often…

Starting with faith in Jesus and baptism…and continuing through life…

As to when is a Catholic Saved ? Well as we see in Sacred Scripture there are different senses of the word used - if one is referring to initial salvation -that is with faith and baptism by grace…

Nobody is saved while living. We can be in and out of mortal sin throughout our lives. We are only saved if we die in a state of grace. Anyone dying in a state of mortal sin goes immediately to Hell.

Yes we are. Otherwise we would be not living (really living!).

Your referring to final salvation.

This topic prompted me to think of an analogy. Before encountering Christ, we are all floundering and drowning in the sea of sin. Christ (and His church) are like a ship sailing along the ocean that pulls you out of the water. You are no longer floundering. You are no longer drowning. The ship has saved you. However, the journey isn’t over yet. The ship is carrying you to a port in a grand and wonderful city where you will be safe from the ocean of sin. You were saved, and are still being saved. While you are sailing on the boat, before you reach port, you still have the opportunity to hurl yourself back into the ocean of sin. You will not be forced to stay. The boat will gladly pull you back up again with joy as many times as you ask. Once the boat reaches port with you on it, you are finally saved from all harm forever. If, however, in your obstinance, you refuse to get on the boat, you could very well drown in the sea of sin and never be saved.

That isn’t a perfect analogy, I realize, but maybe it helps clarify the idea of having been saved, being saved, and will be saved.

We are saved when Jesus allows us to walk with him.

When the Church baptizes us we are saved: that is Jesus including us in himself.
“Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John, although Jesus did not baptize, but his disciples…”

When the Bishop confirms us we are saved, we are included with Jesus as his messengers of the Kingdom of God.

When the Priest absolves us of our sin at confession, we are saved, forgiven and granted fellowship again at his Table.

When we consume his Body and Blood, we are saved, intimately united to Jesus.

We are saved because we are calling upon the Name of the Lord, Jesus, to seek that he will let us follow with him, be with him. When with him, we are saved; when not with him, we are with the world. You cannot serve two Masters, but would love one and hate the other. Our Catholic Life is a life of walking with Jesus; to whom else could we go? He has the words of eternal life, and when with him, we are hearing Him, hearing these words. We can’t have his words without being with his Body.

“saved” is a term that for Catholics means:

1. Christ already did what we need to respond to to be saved.
  2. We are being transformed/saved by the Spirit every day unto a new Creation.
  3. At the Eternal Judgment, we will be saved.

There is no singular moment of “ok I’m saved now from this time forward no matter what I do”, which only a very small sliver of evangelical/non-denominational type folks adhere to. Nothing like this is taught by the Apostles or found in the sacred Scriptures.

Starting at Baptism and continuing through ones life. In a certain respect we are also saved by the sacraments of the Holy Eucharist and Pennance. In another respect we are being saved every day by continual conversion to Christ.

We can lose charity,salvation, and Christ by committing a single moral sin, but can be brought back into God’s friendship by the Sacrament of Penance.

We are washed in the blood of Christ and saved at Baptism (Ezekiel 36:25-27). But as others have said, “being saved” is an ongoing and not a “one and done” process.

We’re saved by virtue of our Baptism which makes us a child of God and brings us into the life of Jesus AND we continue to be nourished by the Saving Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. The Precious Body and Blood of Jesus is our spiritual food and drink which will ‘sustain’ us until the end of time.

John 6: 54*He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

So imagine that without food and water we will surely die but that is the physical aspect of us… So we eat and drink our spiritual food and spiritual drink until the end of time to keep our spiritual selves alive and even so it supports our physical bodies. The Eucharistic feast started at the Last Supper and continues until the end of time) because it is an eternal feast which comes from God. This is reflective of the one piece of manna in the desert that the Isrealites ate daily (as instructed by God) to keep them alive. Well the Church still receives the manna but the Manna is Jesus (the Bread of Life from heaven) which keeps our spiritual selves alive even for eternity. This is explained in detail by Jesus in John chapter 6.

At Baptism.
At Mass.
At Confession.
At Death.

We were saved at Baptism. We are saved every time we are reconciled in Confession. We are saved whenever we receive the Holy Eucharist. We are saved when we die in the state of grace.

Did we answer your questions? That the blood of Christ washes us of our sin…often in life…etc??

Yes very helpful thank you all. This forum has been very good to answer questions I appreciate it.

:slight_smile:

Salvation is what the OP is referring to. Many Protestants think they are saved simply by believing in Christ and that they can sin to their hearts content throughout their life and they are still saved.

So am I. There are different tenses of the term used in Scripture.

Yes we are saved while living. Otherwise we would be not living (really living! having true life in Christ)

Your referring to final salvation and of course your reacting against a particular protestant idea of salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.