Jew or Gentile

So I am reading the book Salvation is from the Jews, and I have a question. The Church is made up of jew and gentiles that believe in Christ right? And if someones ancestors are jewish/from the 12 tribes, then that means they are a “jew” (using jew as a race).

I was just thinking many people in the church may have had ancestors that were from this tribe and they just dont know it. Does this make them a jew or still gentile since they dont know? Does it even matter?

If your ancestors a 1000 years ago were jewish then converted to the CC, and your family has been Catholic for the last 1000 years with no knowledge of past members being jewish does that make one a jew or gentile?

Maybe I’m just rambling, but it seems from this book that jews that convert are extra special becuase of thier blood, but how can we know whos who anymore anyhow.

I really don’t think it matters at all. Jews certainly are God’s chosen people, but being jewish doesn’t give you any special treatment anymore than being christian means you’ll always be rich and affluent. The only time I can think of that a distinction is even made between Jew and Gentile is in Romans:

Romans 1:16

I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Romans 2:9

There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;

Romans 2:10

but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

More importantly though a hidden jewish ancestry can’t really matter because the result is the same either way. Imagine if a person was especially blessed for being Jewish. Then, if you had distant Jewish ancestry without realizing it, you would be blessed even if you didn’t know you were Jewish. So, if you did have Jewish lineage, it wouldn’t matter whether you realized it or not.

In one passage, Paul refers to “the Jew, the Gentile, and the Church of God.” At this point I think you are in the Church of God. The idea that Christians who are ethnically Jewish have a sort of special blessing is controversial at best, and I would guess not true.

In Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile. DNA is irrelevant under the New Covenant.

Peace,
+N

In the first place Judaism is a religion not an ethnic label. Hitler thought they were a race apart, but then there are persons of the Jewish Faith who look like true Aryans. If one is familiar with the history of migration in Europe and Asia it becomes difficult to say that it is the blood and the genes that denotes ethnicity. Ethnicity identifies ones cultural background fairly well, but gets a lot more indeterminate when it comes to ancient blood lines. After all the displacements of peoples caused by war and strife in modern times its going to get even more strained in another generation or two. Even today it is getting more difficult to find people in America who are “pure” German, Norwegian, or whatever. We are happily intermarrying and becoming so intermixed that for many, nationality will soon be describable only as American. Probably won’t leave Native Americans very happy. :thumbsup:

Well I have argued the point about juduism only being a religion also, but everyone seems to tell me they are a race as well, now you tell me they are just members of a religion. Now I feel like im being pulled in different directions. I would agree with you, if it were not for so many poeple telling me otherwise, even catholics.

I suppose the correct answer is that Judaism is both. Historically, it was largely a “race”. To be Jewish, you had to be born to a jewish woman. You could practice the religion, but you were never really Jewish unless you were born a Jew. Now adays it’s more of both, although the more orthodox “sects” of Judaism still require you to be born Jewish. This is why the NT refers to many gentiles who “feared God”. These people were essentially practicing Jews, but they weren’t born Jews and were therefore never called one.

and that is the view I currently have, sorry for the misunderstanding if there was one

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.