jewish bowing in prayer

I have noticed that often when Jewish people pray, they sort of bow or sway back and forth. I would ask one of my Jewish acquaintences, but don’t want to appear rude. What is this about?

I also find it useful to move while praying. Traditional Jews routinely sway back and forth during prayer, apparently a reference to Psalm 35, which says “All my limbs shall declare, ‘O L-rd, who is like You?’” Such movement is not required, and many people find it distracting, but I personally find that it helps me concentrate and focus.
jewfaq.org/prayer.htm

So do I, which is probably why I was taken by this when I visited a synagogue. Esp. the Psalms seem to call for movement.

You move back and forth while praying?
(like you see the Jewish men at the Wall do?)

I like to pray the LOTH, and that includes many psalms. I sometimes find myself kind of swaying to the rhythm, and it seems to make them more intense. Nothing intentional on my part, just similar to what I have seen in Jewish prayer.

ok…I just have never seen anybody but the Jews do this…nothing wrong with it by the way:)

If you want to find out more about the Jewish faith traditions in and enjoy reading mysterys read:Monday the Rabbi Took Off and the Rabbi Small Series by Harry Kemelman. Its a fun way to find out!!!:slight_smile:

So for them it’s an intentional part of praying and has a meaning?

have no idea if it intentional on their part …I am not jewish:)

Yes.

I’m still confused–do you know what the meaning is?

Actually, I love mysteries and have read every one of them, I think. I wish he was still writing these. Dont remember anything about the prayer swaying thing, tho.

Yes, he’s really good, I love mysteries too, especially the books that aren’t filled with violence, do the names Richard Jury or Ameilia Peabody Emerson mean anything to you?:slight_smile:
oops, back to the question at hand. Yes, swaying is part of traditional Jewish prayer. Why? I think Karins first answer is the correct one: Traditional Jews routinely sway back and forth during prayer, apparently a reference to Psalm 35, which says "All my limbs shall declare, 'O L-rd, who is like You?

Thanks. Richard Jury, definitely yes. Amelia I haven’t made the aquaintance yet. I will look her up. Oh, wait, she’s the Egytologist, I do know her.

Dennis Prager, the popular radio talk-show host who is also a devout Jew, was once asked about this on the radio. He said it was merely a cultural phenomena, and that praying Jews have just customarily done so. He never questioned it as a child and, when he grew older and encountered Christians who remained relatively motionless in prayer, he was surprised!

To me, it seems a good way to stay focused and engaged in prayer. During the Mass, for example, there are many traditional movements that keep one involved: [LIST]
*]Signing your self with holy water when entering and at appropriate times during the Mass.
*]Genuflecting before the tabernacle before entering the pew.
*]Standing and kneeling at the appropriate times.
*]Folding one’s hands when waiting to and recieving Holy Communion and during moments of intercessory and liturgical prayer.
*]Bowing when passing before the altar.
*]Slightly bowing the head at the name of Jesus.
*]Making a small cross at the forehead, lips and over the heart before the reading of the gospel.
*]Striking one’s chest during the Confietor
*]Bowing during the Creed at the line “…was concieved by the Holy Spirit and became man.”
[/LIST]

The swaying back and forth is to help focus and to bring “the whole body” into prayer. (Take a look at psalm 35). Swaying is not required but many do it.

there are also places in our prayers where we do small bows, which are required.

there are also places in our prayers where we do small bows, which are required.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.