Jewish Encyclopedia on Paul?

I know this was written in 1906, but it seems rather anti-Paul and some of its statements/claims are now known to be factually false due to more recent scholarship; yet this thought seems to have carried over into many, should I say, more “liberal” Jewish minds today. In no way am I bashing Judaism or anything, no no no not at all, I’m just saying that this seems to reflect a hatred for Paul in general and a “re-claiming” of Jesus both in and outside of the Jewish community (look at Islam for example, which didn’t initially reject Paul but only in later centuries came to reject him when they found his thought contradicted Islam).

The actual founder of the Christian Church as opposed to Judaism; born before 10 C.E.; died after 63. The records containing the views and opinions of the opponents of Paul and Paulinism are no longer in existence; and the history of the early Church has been colored by the writers of the second century, who were anxious to suppress or smooth over the controversies of the preceding period, as is shown in the Acts of the Apostles and also by the fact that the Epistles ascribed to Paul, as has been proved by modern critics, are partly spurious (Galatians, Ephesians, I and II Timothy, Titus, and others) and partly interpolated.

To judge from those Epistles that have all the traits of genuineness and give a true insight into his nature, Paul was of a fiery temper, impulsive and impassioned in the extreme, of ever-changing moods, now exulting in boundless joy and now sorely depressed and gloomy. Effusive and excessive alike in his love and in his hatred, in his blessing and in his cursing, he possessed a marvelous power over men; and he had unbounded confidence in himself. He speaks or writes as a man who is conscious of a great providential mission, as the servant and herald of a high and unique cause. The philosopher and the Jew will greatly differ from him with regard to every argument and view of his; but both will admit that he is a mighty battler for truth, and that his view of life, of man, and of God is a profoundly serious one. The entire conception of religion has certainly been deepened by him, because his mental grasp was wide and comprehensive, and his thinking bold, aggressive, searching, and at the same time systematic. Indeed, he molded the thought and the belief of all Christendom.

The philosopher and the Jew will greatly differ from him with regard to every argument and view of his; but both will admit that he is a mighty battler for truth, and that his view of life, of man, and of God is a profoundly serious one. The entire conception of religion has certainly been deepened by him, because his mental grasp was wide and comprehensive, and his thinking bold, aggressive, searching, and at the same time systematic. Indeed, he molded the thought and the belief of all Christendom.

I see no hatred in those words. On the contrary, I see deep respect, praise of Paul’s strength of character, and even admiration for his achievements.

The editors of the Jewish Encyclopedia disagree with Paul’s Christian theology. Does that surprise you? Please bear in mind that the Jewish Encyclopedia is written by and for adherents of a non-Christian religion.

1 Like

I understand this but

and

Show a clear dislike.

They’re just jealous. The most famous and influential Pharisee in history just happens to be a Christian. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.