Jewish Holidays and the Catholic Church

If Catholicism’s roots are in Judaism then why don’t we celebrate the Jewish holidays? (My cousin asked this question)

A good answer that I can give him? (He is Jewish).

Well, I think we do but we celebrate the fulfillment with Christ. Every Sunday we are celebrating the fulfillment of Passover, and of Yom Kippur, and Rosh Hoshana, and Succot, and the Festival of Lights, and Purim. . .

Christ is our Passover Feast. Christ is our Atonement. Christ is our Light. Christ has saved us. Christ is the first fruit. . .etc. etc.

Our Jewish brothers and sisters, in celebrating the Jewish feasts, are celebrating them with the belief that they remain to be fulfilled in some way, whether by the Messiah they still await, or in some other way. We know these feasts are all rooted in Jesus and fulfilled in Jesus through his Cross and Resurrection, so we celebrate all the Jewish feasts in one every Sunday, plus Jesus has given us additional feasts (the celebration of his birth and the yearly Triduum that celebrates His salvific action) as well as local and ‘worldwide’ feasts which celebrate Him (Sacred Heart, Pentecost, Corpus Christi, Christ the King, and Mary, Mother of God). You might blink at bit at the last, but the fact is, that the feast is indeed all about Jesus. If we do not acknowledge Mary as the Theotokos (God-bearer) and Mother of God, we deny Jesus in either His Divinity or His Humanity or both. So it is indeed very Christo-centric.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.