Jewish Insight: Joint Prayer

The Jewish insight into prayer considers that we don’t always pray as we ought. But, in a group,
the benefit of each spreads to the whole group. So, when I am not praying with the right emphasis, someone else probably is, and the merit of the prayer spreads to the entire “body” of those in prayer.

It’s an elegant insight into the effort we should each should put into prayer to benefit each other. In the Catholic sense, when I say the Hail Mary and say “pray for us sinners” my intention is to pray for the whole world – “us sinners” Same, too, with the Lord’s prayer. How wonderful that the Church has offered those prayers for our participation.

Indeed, a blessed thing to pray together!
Matthew 18
19* l Again, [amen,] I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. 20* m For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
http://www.usccb.org/bible/mt/18:20#48018020

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.