Jewish Leader tears up New Testament

Ok, I read where a prominent religious Israeli lawmaker tore up the New Testament (I posted the link below). This isn’t the first story I have read about things like this happening with these people (intolerance). I just like to point this out because it seems that most Christians view Jews as being all perfect and are quick to defend them no matter what. The fact is they turned their back on Jesus on don’t even recognize him as the Son of God so in my opinion. In my opinion, I don’t view the Jewish religion any differently from Islam or any other for that matter.
Don’t take this wrong I am not bashing the people. I know some Jewish people who are very nice, good people. I’m just speaking in terms of the religion and the apparent intolerance that comes with it. Don’t repeatedly do disrespectful things like this and expect everyone to just keep remaining quiet.

news.yahoo.com/religious-israeli-lawmaker-tears-testament-101541114.html

Compared to some of the things Christians have said about and done to Jews throughout history, this seems rather tame.

Jon

[quote="JonNC, post:2, topic:292044"]
Compared to some of the things Christians have said about and done to Jews throughout history, this seems rather tame.

Jon

[/quote]

So we should just turn a blind eye when they do it? I wasn't one of the people in history doing all that stuff. What people did in history isn't my fault. I don't disrespect what you believe so don't do it to me is all I'm saying.

I wonder if ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN will flock to this man’s home or workplace the way they would if a priest tore up a Torrah (yes, I know that’s the OT), or Koran…

As far as Christian treatment of the Jews goes, OFFICIAL CHRISTIAN TEACHING states that they must be treated with charity, kindness, and respect (see: Love Thy Neighbor). Oddly enough, that particular commandment, as well as nine others I can think of also applies to them.

Strange behavior… :tsktsk:

=keithj84;9537635]So we should just turn a blind eye when they do it?

A blind eye? No. A response in kind? No.

I wasn't one of the people in history doing all that stuff. What people did in history isn't my fault.

Agreed, and it isn't the fault of all Jews what this man did.

I don't disrespect what you believe so don't do it to me is all I'm saying.

Agreed. So, what do you think our response, as Christians, should be?

Jon

I also would like to state that I believe it to be absolute metaphysical certitude that His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI will NOT be issuing a 'fatwa' calling for this man's head to be placed on his desk by sundown.

I know that's a run-on sentence, but I couldn't help myself.

Well mine is to that this proves that stupidity is most definitely the commonest element in the universe and that all human groups have a plentiful supply of it.

keithj84 said:-

I don't view the Jewish religion any differently from Islam or any other for that matter.

Are you aware how the Church views both those religions you cite?

To speak out and say it isn’t right. And if the Jewish religion is so tolerant then other Jewish leaders should come out and denounce this kind of behavior. If a priest burned a Tora or a Koran what do you think would happen?

Yes and I do not agree with it

[quote="keithj84, post:10, topic:292044"]
Yes and I do not agree with it

[/quote]

And whom should we trust in that case? Your view or the Churches?

One of the most deceptive forms of pride is spiritual pride. It is so easy for us to fall into it. We think that our spirituality is somehow by our own efforts, or merit. When we realize that every good thought, word, and deed is a gift of grace from Jesus Christ, then we will no longer think of ourselves as spiritually more mature, or better than another person.

In fact, we may want to pray for such individuals, that God might lead them to the source of all perfection, who is our Lord Jesus Christ.

God’s peace be with you.

Micah

Well I agree with the Church on about 98% of things but on the other hand God gave me some sense as well. I’ve been to the Middle East (Iraq and Jordan) and spent over 2 years in Iraq. I’ve seen how most Muslims are. Maybe you would feel differently had you been through some of my experiences as well.

At the end of the day, they are still the chosen people. God does not turn his back on his covenants.

I’ve worked with Muslims for the last 15 years of my life. My wife who is from an area bordering Kazaksthan in the Russian Federation has numerous Muslim relatives. You might also bear in mind that those in the Church in the hierarchy also possess some sense. Since Iraq and Jordan do not contain most Muslims on Earth it would be odd to say that having been there you know how most Muslims are. Many people claim to know how we Catholics are it should be remembered.

Romans 12: 14-21 is what we must keep in mind before taking any sort of action.

MJ

[quote="JonNC, post:5, topic:292044"]

Jon

[/quote]

As for me, I rolled my eyes slightly, then said a little prayer, and then went about my business.

-ACEGC

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:15, topic:292044"]
I've worked with Muslims for the last 15 years of my life. My wife who is from an area bordering Kazaksthan in the Russian Federation has numerous Muslim relatives.

[/quote]

That's nice.

[quote="edward_george, post:17, topic:292044"]
As for me, I rolled my eyes slightly, then said a little prayer, and then went about my business.

-ACEGC

[/quote]

A good response, indeed. Perhaps a lack of reaction, other than this, on our part will make this person's actions seem to him and others lost in the thunderous silence.

Jon

This is one person. The Israeli government already made a very strong condemndation of the action. There is nothing for us to do but ask for their forgiveness, since they know not what they do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.