Jewish or Christian?

I need a good explaination for this. Someone from church asked : If Jesus was Jewish, why are we called Christian? Shouldn’t we be Jewish, like Jesus?

Thanks, and be blessed!
Yvonne

Because we don’t follow the teachings of judaism. we follow the teachings of Christ. Hence the word CHRISTians.Jesus brought forward a new conevant which we as CHRISTians follow. simple enough

The term “Jewish” refers to both a race and a religion.

A person is “Jewish” if they have Jewish ancestry. It is possible to be a “Jewish Christian” (or a Jewish atheist, etc).

It is possible for a gentile to participate in the Jewish religion, but a gentile can never be a Jew (at best, a gentile could become a proselyte).

We’re the new and improved Super Jews.

[quote=evieprnc]I need a good explaination for this. Someone from church asked : If Jesus was Jewish, why are we called Christian? Shouldn’t we be Jewish, like Jesus?

Thanks, and be blessed!
Yvonne
[/quote]

We are called Christians because that is what the Apostles were called.

Acts 11:26
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch (in modern day Syria).

1 Pet. 4:16
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Acts 26:28
Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

God Bless.

[quote=Trelow]We’re the new and improved Super Jews.
[/quote]

Oy, gevalt! You’re meshugina, but you’re still a mensch.

Baruch Atah Adonai,
RyanL

[quote=Trelow]We’re the new and improved Super Jews.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: Also, you can see from the Acts of the Apostles, they threw us out of the synagogues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.