Jewish people being offended by "Merry Christmas"

I don’t think many people (at least not many Catholics) would say “Merry Christmas” to people that they know are not Christians.

But why would anyone be offended by being wished a Merry “Anything”. One person said that he feels excluded from society when everyone wishes him a “Merry Christmas”.

IMO, he’s looking for an excuse to feel offended. How could including someone in well-wishes ever be considered exclusionary?!

I could see his point if those people knew he was Jewish and insisted on wishing hiim a Merry Christmas but never a Happy Hanukkah, since they’re so close on the calendar.

What do you think? Is this person looking for offense where none is intended?

Happy Hanukkah to the Jewish members here.

Kalt

I think people have suddenly become way too sensitive!!

In September I was wished ‘Happy Eid’ in a shop, nice of them to include me in what to me was simply a holiday from teaching, not a reason to be offended or whatever. :wink:

Well, if the person wishing “Merry Christmas” already knows he’s talking to a Jew, or says it to somebody in a yarmulke, then he’s just being obnoxious. If its just some guy on the street, then, yes, he’s looking for a reason to be offended. He wouldn’t be out of line to say, though, “Merry Christmas to you as well, but I’m Jewish.”

And then you add the complication of Jews who celebrate Christmas. My SIL is Jewish and she and my brother (not a practicing anything, Christian or otherwise) put up a tree every year, send Christmas gifts and cards, etc. It’s a cultural/social thing for her, I’m sure. But, clearly not offensive in any way. They also celebrate Jewish holidays.

That’s just it with this particular person–he sends Xmas cards, gifts, etc. He isn’t a practicing Jew. Never goes to temple. Does nothing for Hanukkah or any other Jewish holiday.

I don’t get it. He participates in celebrating Christmas, does not practice his own religion, and then gets upset when people wish him a happy Christmas and not a happy Hanukkah (which he doesn’t celebrate, anyway)?
Is there more to his complaint?

I for one have been making it a point to say Merry Christmas to everyone this year. I am tired of trying to be politically correct. In being politically correct I feel like somehow I deny my own faith. Sorry but I am going to shout it from the mountain tops.

James 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praises.

Merry Christmas proclaims our faith and wishes the other person to be Merry at this most joyful time. Would not I be lying if I said Happy Holidays instead? It says nothing of Jesus. Would I not be squelching my joy and my faith? If people want to be offended they can, it certanly isn’t doing them any real harm. But the harm to me in not proclaiming my faith is great.

I have a deep respect for the Jewish people. All they need say is I am Jewish and then I say, sorry, Happy Hanukkah.

I am offended that people get offended by my belief in Jesus Birth. Praise Jesus! :extrahappy:

I’ll never apologize for my well-wishing or my religion.

I have made it a point to wish people “Happy Holidays”…Christmas is just a day…and has become more of a “cultural” holiday here in the States. We are a multicultural country that celebrate different “holidays” at the the same time…so it seems appropriate for me to wish people “Happy Holidays” rather than “Merry Christmas” since they may not be Christian…I have Jewish, Wiccan, Buddhist friends that seem to appreciate the sentiment…they all know I am a Christian so I loose nothing by being sensitive to their feelings…

Bingo. In my area, we have large Jewish and Muslim populations. Like us, they have celebrated or will celebrate major holidays this month, and we all will celebrate the New Year. I see nothing wrong with wishing someone whom you do not know “Happy Holidays”.

“And happy New Year to you!” usually works.

Sometimes I say words the effect of “I’m lucky, I’m Jewish and we don’t do Christmas so I get out of all the shopping and stuff.”

It’s amazing how often the response is just how lucky I am. :slight_smile:

To me Christmas is not just a day. It is the day Christ my savior was born. It is a day of great joy and celebration. We are multicultural and part of that multiculture are the christians. To say Merry Christmas is wishing someone the joy and happiness for the birth of Christ. To me this praises Our Lord and gives witness to our joy.

James 5:13 “Is anyone among you cheerful? Let him sing praises.”

How does a stranger know you are a christian, how do they *witness *your joy if you simply say Happy Holidays?

This is just my take on it, to each his own perception of political correctness. I am not saying anyone in this thread is incorrect. What may be right for one may be wrong for another. :twocents:

1 Like

Generalization never works, people :rolleyes:

Besides that, I say Merry Christmas to everyone. Because it’s Christmas.

Really, it’s not rocket science.

I often wonder that when we are told to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” its to appease secular progressives and atheists rather than Jews or Muslims.

Here in the States I feel we can appropriately say “Merry Christmas” to anyone. Not because it is a Christian Holyday, but because it is a Federal Holiday. Dec 25, like 4th of July, is mandated as a day off by the Federal Govt. I know around the 4th we wish everyone in our office a happy 4th, Canadians, Brits, Hispanic, Koreans, Chinese. It does not matter.

I do the same for Christmas, both and Federal and Catholic holi(y)day.

As an addendum, I say “Merry Christmas” depending on the time and place. If I’m Christmas shopping, then I’ll probably say Merry Christmas, but if I’m just out and about before December 10th or so, “Happy Holidays”. Once it hits the double digits, though, “Merry Christmas” all the way until New Year’s.

How about just saying

Happy Christma-nukah-kwanza-dan.

That should cover Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, and Ramadan

Add New to the beginning, and you’ve covered everything.

I like it. You’re on to something here. I can’t pronounce it, though. :slight_smile:

Truthiness :smiley:

My neighbors are a mixed family–Christian/Jew. One daughter said that she loved Christmas because she got a week off school, got presents,and didn’t have to go to temple. She knew a good deal when she saw it.

Yep, she’s smart. She’s in college now, at one of the best universities in the country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.