Jewish Question

These question goes to our Jewish Brethren…

I am not trying to lead the question, so, please don’t think I am trying to get a specific answer. I am genuinely curious about your response.

Is the Jewish faith based on Obedience to His Word, or is it based on once Faith only?

With respect to the Sacrifice at the Temple, Is the sacrifice eaten by the priests suppose to be a literal example, or only a symbolic act.

Again, I am simply curious how Jewish people see these questions. Also, If my understandings are false, please correct me

In Christ

I don’t know what you mean by “once Faith only”. There are different types of sacrifices, and there were what you could call tithes that were given to the priests. Again, I’m not sure what you are asking regarding whether it was a symbolic or literal act. Can you rephrase?

I think he’s trying to figure out if the Jewish notions of sacrifice and faith/works are more similar to the Catholic doctrine or Protestant doctrine. At a guess…

I can say that overall, Judaism stresses our actions in this world as opposed to our reward in the next. There are different Jewish thoughts as to the importance of sacrifice. ALl religous Jews are (supposed to) study the laws regarding sacrifice, even though we haven’t engaged in the practice for a few thousand years.

I was concerned about the title of this thread as the “Jewish Question” lead to the “Final Solution”:hmmm:

Sorry Valke… I miss Typed…

I will try and rephrase it

In Jewish Thought… what allows you to enter into heaven… Faith by itself or Faith and Obedience to that Faith…

With respect to sacrifice, though i know it hasnt been for thousands of years, I merely am curious that if the sacrifice is performed, when the priests eat the burnt offering, is that meant as a literal act to help the sacrifice along? Or is it merely a symbolic act, and really holds no ‘power’

Though I am curious about the parallels, It is a genuine question and appreciate your response

In Christ

Ok. I can say it is not faith alone. Living an ethical and moral life by following the commandments, is much more important in Judaism. It’s hard to give a detailed and accurate response, however, because we don’t have a set of dogma regarding the afterlife. Opinions vary widely within the traditional religion.

I’m not sure about the sacrifice question. A little of both, I would imagine. The sacrifices themselves held no power other than being part of what we are commanded to do. The power of fullfilling a mitzvot. I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the purpose of the priests eating certain sacrifices (portions) was to ensure they had food.

As Valke has said, what happens after death isn’t a preoccupation of Judaism – hence our apparent vagueness on the subject, I expect.

Afterlife:

jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/afterlife.html

You’ll find a lot about the sacrificial procedures here:

jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=35&letter=S

Further sacrifice information:

jewfaq.org/qorbanot.htm

jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/vegsacrifices.html

Thanks Kan (and Valke)… Ill look over the sources you provided

The Christian faith must first be based on faith. To add anything to simple for salvation is to have a man made work oriented salvation. If we must work for our faith, how much do we have to do and for how long? What standard is there to go by to know that I have done the right things, in the right way, and for the right reason? Here is a question for. Have you done enough good works to merit God justifying you? :confused:

what does that have to do with the question about Judiasm?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.