Jewish Republicans Scramble To Stop Donald Trump After ‘Neutral’ on Israel Declaration

Trump’s ascent has spurred an unusual Jewish political coalition. Pro-Israel Republicans, neo-conservative ideologues, and human rights activists have all been ramping up their criticism of Trump, in public and in private discussions. Some are actively calling for a joint Jewish effort to block Trump from becoming the GOP nominee.

Some, like historian Robert Kagan, who is considered among the fathers of American neoconservatism, have taken bold steps. Kagan, announced in a Washington Post article that Trump’s emergence as the most popular Republican candidate has led him to cross the political line: “For this former Republican, and perhaps for others, the only choice will be to vote for Hillary Clinton,” Kagan wrote. “The party cannot be saved, but the country still can be” . . .

Trump’s February 17 refusal, during an interview on MSNBC, to take sides in the Israeli – Palestinian conflict raised eyebrows among many Jewish Republicans. “Let me be sort of a neutral guy,” Trump said, explaining that only this stance could make him acceptable on both sides as an honest broker. The comment, a clear deviation from the automatic siding with Israel which has become the standard among candidates, was viewed by Trump’s rivals as an opportunity to attack the frontrunner. During the February 25 Republican debate, Trump tried to defend his stand, stating he was “totally pro-Israel” and explaining the need to make sure none of the sides see him as biased against them.

Read more: forward.com/news/334526/jewish-republicans-scramble-to-stop-donald-trump-after-neutral-on-israel-de/#ixzz41hHX0pLn

Mr. Trump is losing support among some Jewish Republicans.

I would think that Republican and Democrat Jews would be terrified that a Trump Spokeswoman last night told Megyn Kelly that Trump was not familiar with the Anti-Defimation League.

That should terrify everyone.

You appear not to be familiar with them, either. Defamation.:smiley:

He should get all 25 of them in a room, and talk things out.

:smiley:

The problem is that I am not running for President. :wink: My stupidity doesn’t impact a sovereign nation.

:smiley:

All 3 of them.

Support for the Republicans among Jewish voters increased around 5% during the 2012 Election to about 31% of all Jewish voters.

Despite Republican attempts in recent election cycles to woo Jewish voters, Robert Watson, a professor and coordinator of American Studies at Lynn University in Florida, said he believes Jewish support for the Democratic Party will remain strong in November even though it has slipped in recent years. Barack Obama received about 74 percent of the Jewish vote in 2008, a percentage that dropped to 69 percent in 2012.

Read more at thejewishweek.com/news/national/jewish-bush-donors-seen-hesitating-next-move#l2wJ3Ub2MrjJr6vU.99

Yeah, but Robert Kagan represents everything that’s wrong with both the Republican Party and with America in general.

So really, that’s quite an amazing endorsement for Trump.:shrug:

I’m a Democrat and don’t like Donald Trump, but this is one issue where I actually agree with him:

Trump’s February 17 refusal, during an interview on MSNBC, to take sides in the Israeli – Palestinian conflict raised eyebrows among many Jewish Republicans. “Let me be sort of a neutral guy,” Trump said, explaining that only this stance could make him acceptable on both sides as an honest broker.

It’s about time that our presidents were more neutral on the conflict between the Israelis and the Palestinians. There will never be a peace agreement until this happens.

Amen.:gopray:

I heard Trump’s discussion of this, he may have said ‘neutral’ but it sounded like leaning to Israel nonetheless.

While Cruz and Rubio are simply Pro-Israel, “our most important ally in the Middle East.”

I don’t know about Kasich and Carson, Carson seems reasonable, Kasich too.

I completely agree; I don’t think Trump is “anti-Israel” at all, but the fact that neocons are losing their minds over this adds to his appeal.

Jews should know better than to support a Republican, even a RINO such as Trump, in the first place. Trump’s stand on other issues, apart from Israel, such as Mexican immigration and Muslim refugees should be a red flag to all Jews since such a philosophy is contrary to the core of Jewish ethical values.

After Trump’s successes at the Super Tuesday Primaries, I don’t see anyone able to stop him. Their only hope is to put the house on one candidate now and insist the others pull out. An impossibility. This support for Trump is due to the failure of the Republican controlled houses carrying out the will of the people who voted for them.
Just as the callow and naive support of Saunders is against a very questionable Hillary.
However, given the American public I expect Hillary to be President and the downward spiral of the country to continue for another decade.

If one goes this route, Jews, percentage wise, Jews are the biggest supporters of abortion in the US. Rather revolting really.

I think it is better to be semi-neutral on Israel versus the Palestinians. Otherwise, the Palestinians will not go for peace talks. Anyway, Trump said he was pro-Israel, so I don;t see this as a big issue.

I never cease to be amazed at the insanity of politics and the stupidity either of the politicians themselves or the voters. On this issue Trump is being hammered for not supporting a foreign nation. This nation is founded on being a home for a racial/religious group. This nation achieved its foothold through terrorism and continues to use violence to expand its borders while evicting natives.

Meanwhile Trump is being denounced by the speaker of the house for not disavowing an endorsement by a man for that man’s participation and support of a racial/religious group. The man Trump is told he must disavow supports the race and religion of Trump and most Americans. The nation Trump is told he must support promotes a race or religion different from Trump and that of most Americans.

Paul Ryan, biting his lip hard said:

“As you know I try to stay out of the day-to-day, up-and-downs of the primary, but I’ve also said when I see something that runs counter to who we are as a party and as a country, I will speak up,” he said. “So today I want to be very clear about something: If a person wants to be the nominee of the Republican Party, there can be no evasion and no games. They must reject any group or cause that is built on bigotry.

“This party does not prey on people’s prejudices. We appeal to their highest ideals. This is the Party of Lincoln,” he said. “We believe all people are created equal in the eyes of God and our government. This is fundamental, and if someone wants to be our nominee, they must understand this.”

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.