Jewish students at DePaul University in Chicago intimidated by anti-Isreal group

jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/jewish-depaul-student-i-no-longer-felt-safe-on-this-campus/2014/05/23/0/

Eh?

In the “Why Divest” part of the DePaul Divest website displays the quotation “Further, I want to underscore that this is also a movement whose stated core principles include the opposition to every form of racism, including both state-sponsored racism and anti-Semitism.”

This seems to be a protest of what they believe to be human rights violations by the Israeli government, not a criticism of Jews or Judaism.

A similar (or related) group did the same thing with the “eviction notices” at U of Michigan. And even though the group was not a secret, no one was held accountable. :mad:

Have there been human rights protests against the Pakistani government, the Iranian government, the Sudanese government, the Saudi Arabian government, or the Chinese government?

According to this article, the Jewish students feel threatened because the group is calling for a boycott of products made in a country they don’t live in and because other students ask them questions. :confused:

How is that intimidating? (I apologize if anyone is intimidated by this question. I promise, I am non-violent.)

The sarcasm in your answer is not helpful if you truly want to know how being constantly questioned by people who condemn your beliefs would be intimidating. An atmosphere of aggression and judgment is not a pleasant atmosphere to live in for four years, especially in college where you are supposed to be growing and learning in a safe and nurturing environment. Instead you feel like the things that have always been dear to you are being targeted by hate and lies. Feeling unsafe is not something that should be joked about. Students on other campuses have been discriminated against and verbally abused because of their religion and their political views. I urge you to be responsible and take their feelings seriously. Especially at a Catholic University, we should be extremely sensitive to those of other faiths.

I already know about constantly being questioned about my beliefs feels. I never went to a private school or a university. I have always had my beliefs questioned by other people and I never felt intimidated or physically unsafe because other people didn’t agree with me. I would have to hide under a rock in order to convince myself that my beliefs aren’t the target of hate and lies. However, it would be a lie in an of itself to suggest that the fact that other people are verbal about disagreeing with what I believe is a threat to my safety. College is a place where children are supposed to learn to be adults. Part of that is getting over the fact that the world is full of people who disagree with you.

A lot of people do not make that distinction. Even here, criticizing human rights violations committed by Israel will get you branded as an anti-semite by some members. :shrug:

If it were only people disagreeing with you then you would be correct; however, what is going on on most campuses if far beyond disagreements. Mock eviction notices placed in your room in the middle of the night, physical threats of violence, aggressive hateful protests depicting lies about genocide and demonizing your people, being called a “kike” and a “dirty Jew”, being intimidated in class if you express pro-Israel views by your professors and class mates are not my idea of disagreeing. The truth is that Jewish students feel targeted and intimidated all over the country on campuses and for you to write that they are being oversensitive is just plain insensitive and dangerous. An unhealthy hateful atmosphere has been brewing on campuses for a long time and it’s time to address it. We need to learn from the not too distant past.

That’s not true. You have a right to be critical of anything you like, but when you single out the only Jewish state and demonize, deligitimize and hold her to a double standard, while endless gross human rights violations take place in every single part of the Middle East against any minority including Christians and you are silent about those, then yes, you are open to being labeled an anti-Semite.

The only double standard is that Israel can and does commit gross human rights violations without consequence. We’ve declared war against and invaded nations in the Middle East for less than what we allow them to get away with. Refusing to deflect attention away from the crimes of Israel and point fingers at someone else isn’t anti-Semitism.

Do you have any Jewish friends because if you did, you would realize why even getting questioned about their faith is a sensitive issue?

Well the Chinese, Iran, and Pakistan seem to be getting away with gross human rights violations without consequences.

Are they being selective? Yep.

Is that fair? No.

Does that mean they have anti-semitic motives? No. At least, not necessarily. It could just mean they are dopey college kids that got too focused on one particular cause. That’s the story with most college activists anyway, they get hung up on particular issues.

You do realize why though, Jewish Americans on a college Campus having really nothing to do with the State of Israel getting questioned about Israel whom this group is protesting just because they are Jewish would be a cause of concern for them, right?

I’m not sure if I understand what you’re asking. :frowning:

The artical didn’t mention any of those things going on at DePaul. It specifically mentioned asking questions and calling for a boycott of goods made in Israel. Neither of those things are intimidating anyone.

I do, and no, I don’t think they would mind if someone asked them about Israel. They are adults, however, and like most adults, are not laboring under the delusion that anyone disagreeing or even asking about their political views is a threat/intimidation/discrimination.

All of my Jewish friends would be concerned and suspicious of the motive behind the question assuming here that the group protesting Israel isn’t asking things like what the festival of Booths was or where Moses was given the Law.

I’m suspicious of the motives of JW that show up on my doorstep and ask me questions about my faith, but I’ve never claimed that they were intimidating or threatening me. In fact, even when I flat out know that someone is only asking me questions in order to complain about Catholicism, confirm what he already thinks he knows, or make a blatant attempt to convert me, I still don’t consider it a threat unless the person actually IS threatening me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.