Jewish vs. Muslim (religiously, not politically)

From what I understand, Islam recognizes the Old Testament, The New Testament (except that Jesus was a prophet and not the Son of God) and the Quaran (perhaps as a Third Testament?)

Where do Jews differ with Muslims in belief. Do Jews believe that we are still waiting for the savior to come, that Jesus was not him but another prophet? Do Muslims believe that a savior is supposed to come, and we are still awaiting him? If so, what is the difference between the two religions?

[quote=Jabronie]From what I understand, Islam recognizes the Old Testament, The New Testament (except that Jesus was a prophet and not the Son of God) and the Quaran (perhaps as a Third Testament?)
[/quote]

Hey Jabronie,

It is not true that Islam recognizes the Old Testament or the New Testament. While there are truths in the Bible Muslims can agree with, they believe it is corrupted. For more details on this subject, please be sure to read this entire thread.

Where do Jews differ with Muslims in belief. Do Jews believe that we are still waiting for the savior to come, that Jesus was not him but another prophet? Do Muslims believe that a savior is supposed to come, and we are still awaiting him? If so, what is the difference between the two religions?

In the large picture, Judaism and Islam have much in common, and yet in the minor details they do diverge quite a bit. It is simply beyond my ability to do a complete compare-and-contrast between the two faiths here. There are many good sites explaining the differences, as well as several books I can recommend to you, if you’d like.

However, regarding the position of Jesus (PBUH), which is an issue small enough to tackle, there is no such thing as a “savior” (in the Christian sense) concept in either Judaism or Islam. Judaism holds to belief in a Messiah, but Jews don’t believe Jesus (PBUH) fulfilled this role, and are still awaiting the person who will. Muslims accept Jesus (PBUH) as both an authentic messenger from God and his role as the Jewish Messiah. And while Muslims, like Christians, believe Jesus (PBUH) will return in the end times to finish the mission God gave him, Muslims also believe in another figure who heralds Jesus’ arrival, called the “Mahdi”. He will be a righteous man who will come at a time of turmoil and great disbelief among Muslims and help to guide them back to Islam and restore them to its true practice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.