Jewish word for a nice person

If a Jewish woman is very nice, and I wanted to express that using Jewish lingo, what would I say to her?

Jewish for “nice woman”

אישה נחמדה per Google

mentsh
An honorable, decent person, an authentic person, a person who helps you when you need help. Can be a man, woman or child.

Also seen it spelled as Mensch

3 Likes

It would entirely depend on the context. Why not just tell her in English and wish her Shalom

Thankyou everyone.

Jewish lingo?
I don’t know, say you are nice?
Be careful with that stuff, you could offend her if you say that to her and she doesn’t know what you are even saying.
Unless she is an orthodox Jew or from Israel I wouldn’t assume most American Jews would even know what you’re talking about. Maybe they do but my father was Jewish as a child and I think I know more Hebrew than him honestly.

The word “mensch” is Yiddish, not Hebrew. Most Jews know the meaning, religious or not, unless maybe if they are Sephardic. BTW, the opposite, a totally disgusting person, is an “unmensch.” That one is not as well known.

5 Likes

Yah. Thats true actually. My fathers grandpa came here from western Russia and I believe Yiddish was the language on his Ellis Island certificate. I forgot about that.

How about paskudnyak? It’s in Leo Rosten’s The Joys of Yiddish, and he defines it as “a man or woman who is… nasty, mean, odious, contemptible, rotten, vulgar, insensitive, petty and — in general — opprobrious” — in fact, the diametric opposite of a mensch. I like it because it sounds like what it denotes, and it’s a great name for a character in a joke or a parody: “Mr. Paskudnyak, welcome to Let’s Make a Deal!” I’ll be sorry if it isn’t in common usage at least in some circles.

1 Like

Although I’ve never heard of that term, I’m sure some people do use it, because, as you say, it sounds like the person it describes.

Just don’t say, “You’re pretty nice for a Jew.”

Avoid the chat up line one friend of mine used years ago, ‘You’re Jew-cy’

Jewish lingo?

One presumes Yiddish or Hebrew were meant. Yiddish is something I wouldn’t attempt using unless you are Jewish or part of a family or something with some ties to someone Jewish. My wife uses the odd Yiddish word because of her grandfather and he was surprised I knew a considerable number from literature I’d read. But I’d look downright silly using them so I don’t.

1 Like

sheyne meydl?

Especially today, you might get in some trouble calling a woman that to her face. It doesn’t mean a nice girl, but rather a nice-looking girl.

Pretty girl? I found several other spellings for that. I’d probably stick with using my own language at first unless there was no other way to communicate. Relationships with Jewish people as potential spouses have their own unique challenges as it is. Not that they can’t be worked around, they most certainly can but I can think of some hilarious misfires in communication. My wife’s best friend is Jewish, husband is Catholic. They live in Chile, when they first moved there the mother-in-law decided to make a Chilean dish for them which is quite pricey and a delicacy. Only probably is it contains shellfish, poor woman didn’t know that isn’t kosher. The young Jewish lady in this situation actually ate it under the reasoning that upsetting your mother-in-law that soon after meeting her is not a great idea. Only problem was the old lady then thought the young bride liked the dish and kept making it a lot.

3 Likes

Oh, that would be a hilariously awful pick-up line!

I’ve heard much worse, ‘Get your coat girl, you’ve pulled’, is among the worst.

I had to look that one up! Yeah, that’s pretty bad.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.