Jews and future promises

I have a friend who is a fundamentalist Christian and she asked me about the fulfillment of God’s promises to the Jews. She believes he has promises to fulfill (what promises?) and that God was instrumental in the setting up of Israel. Given how it was set up and the fact they are still fighting the bit out over it I don’t see it. As far as I know, Jews cannot trace their geneolgy now and there has been so much intermarriage as they have spread throughout the world, who is really a Jew? Are not the Jews now split up into various sects and believe different things which are all very different from what Jews prior to Christ believed? Of course I may be wrong on all this but as I told my friend, as far as the future is concerned I don’t speculate because it has not been revealed so I don’t know. If God has a plan for Jews he has a plan for Jews, if he doesn’t he doesn’t. Can anyone enlilghten me on the Jews and what promises my friend is talking about? It also seems crazy to me that she seems to believe because they are Jews they somehow don’t need to ‘saved’ like everyone else. Can anyone help?

i dont know much about them try wikipedia maybe

it is up to OP’s friend to provide a source for her statement. If she does not, there is nothing to discuss. Since friend is a fundamentalist, that source can only be the bible.

Yes, said friend would say her source is the BIble. She believes that the Jews will return to Zion and see the Lord there or something, that the Jews will be brought back to their homeland. Don’t know what her biblical source for that would be. I think she believes the 144 000 mentioned in Revelation 7 are literal Jews. As far as I know, 144 000 is a figurative number for all the redeemed as it it mentioned again in Revelation 14. But I’m not sure. As I said, I often tell her I don’t like to speculate regarding the future. It’s just when she asked me I didn’t really know how to answer.

Try Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8 and 30:; Hosea 3:4-5, for verse that deals with the Jews returning to Israel.

Isaiah 11:11-12
And it shall come to pass that on that day, the Lord shall continue to apply His hand a second time to acquire the rest of His people, that will remain from Assyria and from Egypt and from Pathros and from Cush and from Elam and from Sumeria and from Hamath and from the islands of the sea.
12 And He shall raise a banner to the nations, and He shall gather the lost of Israel, and the scattered ones of Judah He shall gather from the four corners of the earth.

Jerimiah 23:8:
But, “As the Lord lives, Who brought up and Who brought the seed of the house of Israel from the northland and from all the lands where I have driven them, and they shall dwell on their land.”

30:3:
For, behold, days are coming, says the Lord, when I will restore the captivity of My people Israel and Judah, says the Lord, and I will restore them to the land that I gave their forefathers and they shall possess it.

HOsea 3:4-5:

4 For the children of Israel shall remain for many days, having neither king, nor prince, nor sacrifice, nor pillar, nor ephod nor teraphim.5 Afterwards shall the children of Israel return, and seek the Lord their God and David their king, and they shall come trembling to the Lord and to His goodness at the end of days.

it is up to her to provide the verses, and the authoratative commentary giving her interpretation of the verses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.