Jews and Jesus

What is the Jewish stance on Jesus? I think Muslims teach that Jesus was some sort of prophet and that His death was an illusion, but what do Jews teach? I assume they acknowledge he existed, but what do they say about His death/ resurrection/miracles/claims to be the Son of God, etc., etc.? Thanks!

[quote=Genesis315]What is the Jewish stance on Jesus? I think Muslims teach that Jesus was some sort of prophet and that His death was an illusion, but what do Jews teach? I assume they acknowledge he existed, but what do they say about His death/ resurrection/miracles/claims to be the Son of God, etc., etc.? Thanks!
[/quote]

From what I’ve heard, Jews believe he was killed (no details about crucifixtion). They do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God. On TV I heard a rabbi say that he doesn’t believe Jesus even claimed to be God. As for the Jews that do believe Jesus said He was God, I hate to say, their belief is that he was some nut. I do not about know their stance on his miracles, but they obviously do not believe that he resurrected. This link will provide you with a lot of clear Jewish beliefs of Jesus. judaism.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=Jesus&SUName=judaism&TopNode=4710&type=1

[quote=PMV]From what I’ve heard, Jews believe he was killed (no details about crucifixtion). They do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God. On TV I heard a rabbi say that he doesn’t believe Jesus even claimed to be God. As for the Jews that do believe Jesus said He was God, I hate to say, their belief is that he was some nut. I do not about know their stance on his miracles, but they obviously do not believe that he resurrected. This link will provide you with a lot of clear Jewish beliefs of Jesus. judaism.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=Jesus&SUName=judaism&TopNode=4710&type=1
[/quote]

See, that’s what I was wondering. Do they think the apostles or authors of the New Testament just made up the Resurrection? I had some friends in college who were Jewish and one said that they believed Jesus was mixed up in some sort of magic. This guy wasn’t very knowledgeable about the subject though. My other Jewish friends didn’t really know. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

Hi all!

Try forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=36724.

Be well!

ssv :wave:

Since Jesus was one of their own, a Jew, it is the Jewish perogative to view him as nothing special. If the Jews accidentally did not recognize Jesus as the Christ in the confusion of all theological debates between the Sadduccees, Pharasees, Zealots, or Essenes at a time when politics & religion were not separated, then it is not the Jews fault that one of their own, Christ, was Crucified for heresy and sedition.

The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah according to their interpretation of their Law, Torah, and Talmud (they just accidentally missed it when he arrived).

Genesis315 - Re Do they think the apostles or authors of the New Testament just made up the Resurrection?

See Matthew 28:11-15

While they were going, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests all that had happened. They assembled with the elders and took counsel; then they gave a large sum of money to the soldiers, telling them, “You are to say, ‘His disciples came by night and stole him while we were asleep.’ And if this gets to the ears of the governor, we will satisfy (him) and keep you out of trouble.” The soldiers took the money and did as they were instructed. And this story has circulated among the Jews to the present (day).

I would presume many still accept this explanation.

A Jewish historian and General wrote about 80 years after the crucifixion. He said Jesus lived and was crucified. He said some said Jesus lived again. The field where Judas was buried was well known to Jews, they avoided it.

An amusing anecdote:

I was talking to an elderly Orthodox Jewish woman one day and I said something that made her think I was Jewish. I think she mentioned Passover, and I mentioned that I was getting ready to celebrate it too. At any rate the conversation then went something like this:

Her: You are a Jew then?
Me: Close! I’m Catholic, actually.
Her: And you’re celebrating Pesach?
Me: Yes, it’s holy for us as well. We do it slightly differently, but the basics are still there. Jesus celebrated the Passover in our Scriptures, after all.
Her: Yes, Jesus was a Jew, it’s good that you know that. Jesus was a bad Jew, that’s why he was nailed to that wood!

At this point I couldn’t help but chuckle a little bit. You have to imagine her speaking with a thick Yiddish accent and wagging her finger at me in the last bit. I still smile when I think of that conversation :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Genesis315]What is the Jewish stance on Jesus? I think Muslims teach that Jesus was some sort of prophet and that His death was an illusion, but what do Jews teach? I assume they acknowledge he existed, but what do they say about His death/ resurrection/miracles/claims to be the Son of God, etc., etc.? Thanks!
[/quote]

Some Jewish scholars deny Jesus’ existence. All, of course deny any miracles including the virgin birth, the incarnation and the resurrection.

Jewish scholars who deny the existance of Jesus aren’t being very scholarly, IMO. The guy was written about by Jews relatively shortly after his death. Of course they would deny the miracles, but interestingly enough the early writings didn’t deny the purported healings by Jesus and His followers, but rather that the source of those healings was holy. The whole “cast out demons with the power of demons” thing lasted for quite some time.

At best I think He would rank as a Messianic “also ran” according to the Jews of the time.

There are as many Jewish ‘takes’ on Jesus as there are Jews, practically (there’s an old Jewish saying: “Two Jews, three opinions”).

Born and brought up in a Jewish family (seriously Jewish in a cultural sense and very Zionist, but not much religious input), I remember as a small child asking my mother who Jesus was. She said: “Jesus is someone for Christians, not Jews.” That’s the bottom line. Different Jews and schools of thought within Judaism will give different explanations for our Lord’s life and death, but the majority just look the other way. I suppose it’s safer.

Sue

Hello,

My husband was once told by an older, jewish man that, “Jesus is a good jewish boy that just got a little confused.” My husband also has a cousin who is Hasidim who believes very much that there was a Jesus. He just doesn’t believe that Jesus is the son of God.

Hi all!

Kevin, you posted:

If the Jews accidentally did not recognize Jesus as the Christ…

I respectfully submit that there eas nothing accidental about it.

The Jews are still waiting for the Messiah…

Correct. The 12th of Maimonedes’ 13 principles of Jewish belief (ou.org/torah/rambam.htm) says:

I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah. How long it takes, I will await his coming every day.

Exporter, we question the veracity of Josephus’ reference; see jewsforjudaism.org/web/faq/faq068.html & religiousstudies.uncc.edu/jdtabor/josephus-jesus.html & en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus.

Ghosty, you posted:

Jewish scholars who deny the existance of Jesus aren’t being very scholarly,

Quite correct!

At best I think He would rank as a Messianic “also ran” according to the Jews of the time.

Hmm, this would be about right.

Teresita, you posted:

there’s an old Jewish saying: "Two Jews, three opinions

Only three opinions??!! :smiley:

deb1, you posted:

My husband was once told by an older, jewish man that, “Jesus is a good jewish boy that just got a little confused.”

This is not incorrect!

Be well!

ssv :wave:

:wave: aish.com/spirituality/philosophy/Why_Dont_Jews_Believe_In_Jesus$.asp

It’s a great piece.

Bat-Ami

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.