Jews and Traditional Catholics

Jesus called Peter Satan for opposing His will too. Jesus is describing an opposition to the divine will as Satanic, not a people, but a behavior by those who have already heard the fullness of the Gospel.

Indeed, and talk of Jews belong to their ‘father the devil’ en masse is ugly rhetoric that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

4 Likes

Hmmm…wasn’t that quote from a Freemason?

From my understanding the HRE was indeed Holy (unified by the Catholic religion), Roman (literally crowned by the Pope), and an Empire (the Various germanic peoples didn’t identify as a unifed German people until Prussia unified Germany) The song Was ist des Deutschen Vaterland comes to mind

Or maybe I can’t see the sarcasm in your post :grimacing: if so, my apologies.

3 Likes

I am German on both sides of my family.

Also Scottish both sides, English and French, I have a French surname.

2 Likes

Oh my, well this a very general question, ‘thoughts on Jews’.

It would be like asking ‘what do you think about people’?

Also, define Jew? I mean, I have seen that even Jewish communities/groups, as well as rabbis, have very differing opinions on what it means to be Jewish. What one Jewish person says makes you a Jew, another disagrees with.

The old covenant has ended. The new covenant is in effect.

I’m curious whether you believe that Jesus is G-d as well as the Messiah, or only the Messiah but not G-d? The Nazarene Jews of today believe the latter: are you a member of this group?

Yes, sometimes even when they know very little, if anything, about the subject. Opinions about everything under the sun (and over) are a dime a dozen. Informed opinions, though, are somewhat different.

1 Like

In the mid-1990s, the Philadelphia Inquirer, the regional newspaper here in southeastern PA, had a front-page article on this subject. To paraphrase the article: In Israel, the Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox rabbinical council decreed that in order to be considered Jewish a person must be at least half-Jewish through his or her mother. This makes the person eligible for Israeli citizenship through the “law of return”. If a person is half-Jewish through his or her father, they are not eligible.

Since 1970, the right to immigrate under this law has been extended to include the child and the grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of the grandchild of a Jew. The purpose of this amendment is to ensure the unity of families, where intermarriage had occurred; it does not apply to persons who had been Jews and had voluntarily changed their religion

https://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/aboutisrael/state/pages/acquisition%20of%20israeli%20nationality.aspx

Of course Christ is the fulfillment of the covenant. He is the Messiah…but he is faithful and there is no time in God. He has never broken his covenant with his people…and has opened the door of salvation to we Gentiles. We all, in some way , become the new Israel … but like our Jewish brothers and sisters we keep sinning … breaking the covenant…the heart of Christ.

Yet in Reform Judaism, one can be Jewish through one’s father rather than mother if one chooses to identify as Jewish.

Reform Judaism is marginalized in Israel and conversions through it are not officially recognized as valid.

https://www.gov.il/BlobFolder/reports/beit_din_in_world/he/רשימת%20בתי%20דין%20לגיור%20בעולם.pdf

The Philadelphia Inquirer had this article in the mid-1990s so that probably supersedes legislation from the 70s.

The extract that I posted previously is from the official page of the Israel government about immigration (see link at the bottom of my previous post) so I guess this is current version of the immigration law.

Both the old and new covenant cannot be in effect at the same time. If that were true, then we can have the Priests offer animal sacrifices in place of offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. The Old covenant ended 2000 years ago, and was replaced with the New Covenant.

The Church teaches that the old covenant was not abrogated but was instead fulfilled through Christ.

1 Like

Council of Basel-Ferrara-Florence, 1431-49 A.D.

It firmly believes, professes and teaches that the legal prescriptions of the old Testament or the Mosaic law, which are divided into ceremonies, holy sacrifices and sacraments, because they were instituted to signify something in the future, although they were adequate for the divine cult of that age, once our lord Jesus Christ who was signified by them had come, came to an end and the sacraments of the new Testament had their beginning. Whoever, after the passion, places his hope in the legal prescriptions and submits himself to them as necessary for salvation and as if faith in Christ without them could not save, sins mortally. It does not deny that from Christ’s passion until the promulgation of the gospel they could have been retained, provided they were in no way believed to be necessary for salvation. But it asserts that after the promulgation of the gospel they cannot be observed without loss of eternal salvation. Therefore it denounces all who after that time observe circumcision, the sabbath and other legal prescriptions as strangers to the faith of Christ and unable to share in eternal salvation, unless they recoil at some time from these errors. Therefore it strictly orders all who glory in the name of Christian, not to practice circumcision either before or after baptism, since whether or not they place their hope in it, it cannot possibly be observed without loss of eternal salvation.

https://www.papalencyclicals.net/councils/ecum17.htm

To indicate that the Old Covenant was not abrogated implies that one can still put their faith in the Old Covenant.

1 Like

The quote you provided explains that Christians are not required to follow all legal prescriptions of Judaism. It is hopefully obvious, though, that we are required to follow others, like the Ten Commandments. That is, moral laws remain but ceremonial laws largely do not.

Perhaps you aren’t reading what I wrote. The old covenant has ended. The new covenant is in effect.

From Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott. Page 292 (Chapter 3 Internal Constitution of the Church, #10 Christ and the Church, ##1 Founder of the Church)
b) On the Cross, Christ consummated the building of the Church. The Old Covenant ceased and the New Covenant sealed with the blood of Christ began. The Fathers and theologians see in the flowing forth of the blood and water from the opened side of Jesus a symbol the emergence of the Church.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.