Jews calebrated two Sabbaths in a week?

Hello, while I am no Bible scholar by any means, would anyone know of the bible passage that mentions jews celebrating two Sabbaths in conjunction with Passover and easter? I need a bible passage confirming this.

I’m not really sure what you are referring to, but the feasts of the Jews all followed a pattern of Sabbaths (or sevens). For instance, the Sabbath is the first feast they are to observe, and it is observed every seven days. Passover was celebrated on the second Sabbath in the first month. The Feast of Unleavened Bread was the next day (the 15th day). Pentecost is the new day after seven x seven (49 + 1 = 50 days) after Passover. Every seven years, there was a Sabbath year. (a year for the land and people to rest.) We get our sabbaticals from this ancient practice.

All the feasts are laid out beginning with Leviticus chapter 23.

I was told recently that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and the only way to justify the discrepancies of John’s gospel and the others of the Passover supper and three days and nights is that somehow there was were two Sabbaths, hence two Passover suppers celebrated that week and I was just wondering where in the bible is said something like that. Because if it’s not in the bible then it is extra-biblical authority.

Well, I have heard that there might have been two different calendars being used at the time, one being a lunar calendar, and that might account for the discrepancy between John’s gospel and the others.I believe the Qumran community used the lunar calendar.

Here is a link that might help. It’s all very confusing to me…

catholic.com/magazine/articles/how-do-we-explain-the-passover-discrepancy

There were not two Sabbaths, but there were two Pasover suppers, the new and the old Passover supper. The new one, instituted by Christ, is the one we still celebrate, the old one is the one that jews still celebrate.

Here is another link from New Advent. You’ve probably already looked into these though.
newadvent.org/cathen/14341a.htm

There were two Sabbaths, yes, because the week of the crucifixion fell during the Days of Unleavened Bread (a 7-day festival preceded by Passover). One Sabbath was an annual Sabbath from the 7-day festival, while the other was a weekly Sabbath.

Here is how the festival is observed: “In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord’s Passover. And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread. In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein” (Lev. 23:5-7).

Notice that the 14th is Passover Day. The next day, 15th, is the feast day, a Sabbath (“… an holy convocation, ye shall do no servile work therein”).

The Jews did not want the crucifixion to happen on the feast day (Matt. 26:5). Actually, it happened the day before, during Passover Day, as it should, because Christ is our Passover (1 Cor 5:7).

Notice that Mark 14:12:17 tells us that Jesus and His disciples ate the Passover on the night of the 14th (the start of the day since their days start and end at sunset). On that same day in the afternoon, Jesus was crucified. He was buried late afternoon before the sun set to begin a new day – that new day being the 15th, an annual Sabbath on the feast of unleavened bread. That is why it says in the Gospels (Mark 15:42 & Luke 23:54) that the day after the crucifixion was a Sabbath.

Thanks for all the input. So what I gather is that there is no verse in the bible that specifically states there will be two Sabbaths during Passover. here is the link that was given to me: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sabbaths

No, I hadn’t seen that one. Thanks.

The Gospels show there were two Sabbaths at that time of the crucifixion. According to Mark 16:1, Mary Magdalene and the women did not buy the spices until after the Sabbath was past. Yet, Luke 23:56 says they rested on the Sabbath, and then prepared the spices. The only possible explanation for this seeming contradiction is that Mark was talking about the annual Sabbath on the 15th while Luke was referring to the weekly Sabbath (notice he said this Sabbath was “according to the commandment”).

This shows there were two Sabbaths that week, with a day in between. Christ was crucified on a Wednesday. The next day, Thursday, was an annual Sabbath and the women rested that day (Mark 16:1). On Friday, the women prepared their spices and then rested the following day, Saturday, a weekly Sabbath, according to the commandment (Luke 23:56).

John’s account gives no room for doubt that the Sabbath that followed the crucifixion was an annual Sabbath. He states in John 19:31: “For that sabbath day was an high day.”

A “high day” Sabbath for a Jew is one of those annual Sabbaths observed every year according to the commands found in Leviticus chapter 23.

Interesting, and informative, so you and Tim Staples are mostly in agreement, I like that.

Some Jews used the lunar calendar and some used the solar calendar and so some would have celebrated the Passover on Thursday while others on Friday. The same is true for the annual sabbath and other festival days.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.