Jews, Christians, and Muslim

Concerning all three faiths, does the God of each one of these faith love all people?

THANKS!

I would like to official teaching, if there is one, thanks!

The official teaching is that the God in each of these faiths is the same God, each, however, has a little bit of a different understanding as to the nature and character of God.

It is obvious that the God of the Jews is the same God of Christianity because Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism. As for Allah being the same God, try these quick questions for some nice explanations:

How can Muslims worship the same god as Christians?
Is it the pope's private opinion that Muslims worship the same God?
Is the idea that Muslims worship the one true God just the pope's opinion?
How can Allah be the one true God?

So, to expand this, God does love all people, though I think your question stems more to what the individual faiths believe in regards to God's love. The psalms are a good source that in Judaism God loves all, and in Christianity as well. I do not know any official Muslim teaching on this, but from what I do understand of their beliefs, I would extend this to think that they believe God loves all too, that doesn't mean he can't be upset/angry with certain people.

I know for sure about Jesus Christ saying:

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you!

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.

Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Anyone who is Christian and acts contrary to these teachings of Christ is unworthy of being a disciple of Christ, for our God is the God of love, mercy, and charity.

I am afraid, though, that the followers of other religions can still do things that are contrary to love and still claim to be doing God’s will according to their doctrine and scriptures.

The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.

Down to the specifics: no doubt that there is only one God. However, it is how we describe and know Him that makes the difference. The God that we knew in the Old Testament did not necessarily seem to love all the people. There are nowadays quite a few who for some reason love to collect those strange quotes.

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death (Deuteronomy 17:12)

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the Lord your God must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:13)

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19)

everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)

suppose you hear in one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants (Deuteronomy 13:13-19)

As for the teachings of Islam I am very ignorant on the topic, but I have also found others who collect similar quotes:

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way.(Qur’an 9:5)

The Jews say, "Ezra is the son of Allah "; and the Christians say, “The Messiah is the son of Allah .” That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them (Qur’an 9:30)

And [recall] when Moses said to his people, “O my people, indeed you have wronged yourselves by your taking of the calf [for worship]. So repent to your Creator and kill yourselves. That is best for [all of] you in the sight of your Creator.” (Qur’an 2:54)

Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress.And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers. (Qur’an 2:190-191)

As my Lord has taught me, I neither judge nor condemn. I also know that God teaches all people to love. But I am afraid that the God they describe appears very different from the God that was fully revealed through Christ, the God of mercy and forgiveness, that did not come to condemn sinners but to save them at the cost of sacrificing his own life and who said of sinners and disbelievers: “forgive them, Father, for they do not know what they are doing

I do not know of any other God that has spoken this way to his people, and I am eager to find out more.

Allah says he does not love some. I cannot remember the verse but it is in the quran.

Do the Gods of these religions love all people?

Thanks!

These 3 religions worship the same God. They are Abrahamic religions.Yes, God loves all people.

This is the Lutheran Church view of Allah:
The Sects of Islam
There are a variety of sects or divisions within Islam, the two largest being Sunni and Shī‘a.
Sunni. The largest group of Muslims is the “orthodox” Sunnis who make up 80-85% of all Muslims. The name is derived from the fact that they follow the approved sunnah, or path, of Muhammad as recorded in the Hadīth that have been accepted and codified as genuine. They recognize the first four Caliphs (successors of Muhammad), but unlike the Shī‘a, they attribute no special religious function to the descendants of Muhammad’s son- in-law, Ali. Sunni Muslims are dominant is such countries as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Indonesia.
Shī‘a. Shī‘a make up about 15% of all Muslims. The division between Sunni and Shī‘a goes back to the disagreement over who should succeed Muhammad following his death. The Shī‘a support Ali as the first Caliph and hold that all future Caliphs are descendants from Ali. In Islam the Imam is the chief teacher in the local community and mosque. However, Shī‘a generally recognize only exceptional teachers as imams.16 Differences also exist between Sunni and Shī‘a over some doctrines, and over how Islam and its beliefs should be practiced in the modern world. Shī‘a are the dominant Muslim group in Iran, Iraq, and parts of Africa.
A Lutheran Response
In the present pluralistic context, many people may have the mistaken impression that Christians and Muslims worship the same God—especially since Christianity and Islam are both monotheistic religions. They may also think that the religions are more similar than dissimilar in other beliefs and practices. However, the response given below will show, from a Lutheran perspective, the sharp contrast between Christian teaching and the teachings of Islam as found in the Qur’ān. This evaluation will focus on three key doctrinal areas—God, the person of Jesus Christ, and God’s work of salvation in Christ.
God. Lutherans confess the historic Christian teaching that the true God has revealed Himself to be the Triune God, one God but three distinct persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This doctrine is confessed in the historic ecumenical creeds of the Christian faith: Apostles’, Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds. These creedal formulas sum up God’s self-revelation in the divinely inspired Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. In these Scriptures God has revealed Himself as the one and only true God (Deut. 6:4; 1 Cor. 8:4) who is three persons in one divine essence: Father (Mal. 2:10; 2 Cor. 1:2-3), Son (Matt. 3:17; John 20:31), and Holy Spirit (Is. 63:10-14; Acts 5:3-4). (See also Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:4; Eph. 4:4-6). Belief
15 7:6-9. “Then shall We question those to whom Our Message was sent and those by whom We sent it. And verily We shall recount their whole story with knowledge, for We were never absent (at any time or place). The balance that day will be true (to a nicety): those whose scale (of good) will be heavy, will prosper: those whose scale will be light will find their souls in perdition, for that they wrongfully treated Our Signs.”
16 “The imams wield extreme spiritual authority over their subjects, seeking to uphold a strictly fundamentalist and fiercely authoritarian interpretation of the [Qur’an].” George A. Mather, Larry A. Nichols, and Alvin J. Schmidt, Encyclopedic Dictionary of Cults, Sects, and World Religions (Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 2006), 145.

While you may pick out random quotes from the Qu’ran there are similar passages in the Bible esspecially in the OT. Was it not God who stopped the sun so the Hebrews would have more time to destroy the Ammorites, and who enabled the walls of Jehrico to fall so the city could be sacked?

We complain about those who attack our faith with ignorance why do we seek to do so to others. Attacks upon Islam are NOT in keeping with what the church teaches (reference the second post in this thread). And besides where does Christ tell us to despise others for what they believe?

Using random quotes, questionable references from others does not help us understand any belief. In the case of Islam lets educate ourselves not by trolling the internet for information that may or may not be true but actually talk to a real muslim or two to enlighten ourselves.

[quote="yukonbrad, post:8, topic:298620"]
While you may pick out random quotes from the Qu'ran there are similar passages in the Bible esspecially in the OT.

We complain about those who attack our faith with ignorance why do we seek to do so to others. Attacks upon Islam are NOT in keeping with what the church teaches (reference the second post in this thread). And besides where does Christ tell us to despise others for what they believe?

Using random quotes, questionable references from others does not help us understand any belief. In the case of Islam lets educate ourselves not by trolling the internet for information that may or may not be true but actually talk to a real muslim or two to enlighten ourselves.

[/quote]

I apologize if you found my post offensive. I believe that many will. I would kindly appreciate if you attempted to understand my reasoning rather than calling me names and wrongfully stating that I am attacking something or someone when I clearly stating that my post was neither judging nor condemning anything or anyone.

The first point I intended to make was this: there is nothing in Christ's teachings that will enable us to perform works of evil and still claim we are doing God's will. The same simply cannot be said of other religions, as far as I know. I wish to learn if I am mistaken in this.

By quoting with utmost reverence Sacred Scriptures from different religions I am in no way attacking them or those who follow them. I have the deepest love and respect for all, whatever their religion, even if they do not believe in God. Don't I myself follow the Bible, which contains those very quotes from the Old Testament that I did mention? Those quotes obviously do not depict the whole scenario, they do not teach us what the Hebrew religion is, just like the quotes from the Qur'an do not teach us the whole scenario of what the Islamic religion is. Which is why I said I am very ignorant on this topic and I wish to learn more.

However, those sections of those Sacred Scriptures do show that their description of God does not appear to be that of a God who loves all people - the O.P.'s question. We don't get that feeling when we read the quotes referring to the Christian description of God - that God does seem to love all people.

Therefore please stop accusing others of attacking or condemning something or someone (when you are the one doing so) and try to understand my point: while there is only one God, some among us may think that He does not love (or even hates) some of us, while others among us believe that He loves everyone unconditionally.

*All *of the latter know that anything that is not love, even towards enemies, is wrong in the eyes of God; *some * of the former risk doing thinks out of hatred and still believe they are doing God's will and God is pleased with their acts.

In a Christian context I could quote the section of the Gospel when the teachers of the Law wanted to stone an adulteress, believing that the murder was pleasing to God, that they were doing God's will. Christ does not deny that the woman is guilty, but shows them that it is not up to men to put to death, for we are all guilty of sin in a way or another. He shows them that God is a God of mercy and forgiveness, who hates the sins but loves the sinner. Christ taught them to forgive and brought life to someone condemned to death.

Christ, however, was also Jewish, as were His apostles. Thus such action is not against the Hebrew religion, that Christ followed. It simply reveals a deeper understanding of God, a vision that may not have been obvious from their Law: He showed them that their God does love all people.

I believe that a similar conclusion can be reached in other religions, but that - unlike in Christianity - such a conclusion (that God loves all people) may not be self-evident.

Unfortunately the relationship in Islam is more like master-slave relation rather than father-child one.......

Allah in Islam created humans only to worship/serve him according to (Quran 51:56):
"I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve Me."

So love is not important as long as the slave obeys his master.

:thumbsup:

it says on your display that you are a muslim… i tip my hat off to you sir for your honesty and help…

Duplicate threads merged and moved to the correct forum.

I am the OP.

I made a mistake and started the same thread twice.

It was a clerical mistake.

Now that the two are joined, it is helpful to read the ideas.

I would have thought that all three religions see their God as loving all peoples!

If that is true, that should be a central point for all of upon which to meditate.

It should help all of us love one another.

If God loves all people--we will get His help to do love all peoples.

Blessings

Michael Francis--it was an innocent mistake--sorry!

I was not attacking you I was pointing out how fallacious it is to simply pull lines out of any sacred text. Too many people use this approach to discredit a religon such as Islam yet fail to take into account when this text was written (historical background) or how it is interpreted today by the majority of believers not just radicals and extreemists like we see in the streets today (there are 1.5 billion muslims in the world and to say 100,000 are “rioting” would be a generous number).

I have also found many who just spout what they find online from radicals of our own supposed faith (christians) as being the absolute truth. Many do not even know muslims or have even bothered to talk to them to find out what they really believe and that in my opinion is the best way to gain knowledge of Islam.

[quote="yukonbrad, post:14, topic:298620"]
I was not attacking you I was pointing out how fallacious it is to simply pull lines out of any sacred text. Too many people use this approach to discredit a religon such as Islam yet fail to take into account when this text was written (historical background) or how it is interpreted today by the majority of believers not just radicals and extreemists like we see in the streets today (there are 1.5 billion muslims in the world and to say 100,000 are "rioting" would be a generous number).

I have also found many who just spout what they find online from radicals of our own supposed faith (christians) as being the absolute truth. Many do not even know muslims or have even bothered to talk to them to find out what they really believe and that in my opinion is the best way to gain knowledge of Islam.

[/quote]

i ask the moderators to stop this thread please.

i am not able to sit back and watch people talk about christians or non christians like they o not know what they are on about and talk as if they have no knowledge at all about the topic islam....

so before i start to post on this forum in defence of the christians non christians,infact non muslims around the world.. YES that means you youconbrad,defend you. i ask could you please end this thread...im sick of getting my posts taken of the thread.im only debating.people on here talk about mormans and protestants as they like and i mean to the bone talk..but let any body talk about islam and they are up in arms..why is this???

it is mind blowing to say the least.. but i have my ideas why...ill keep them for now..

im not frightened or scared or mis understanding,,just end the thread please for the love of Jesus Christ please....

I do not need your defence and support only God’s. Stop the thread? Why because others have opinions different than yours? That is not only undemocratic but unchristian.

when i am having my opinions shut up by mods taking my posts from this and other threads basically on the same topic,is that democratic??

read my last post properly before you post a reply.god doesnt need to be defended. but people do…that is the difference… .un christian,i turn the other cheek in defiance not to let you continually hit me over and over again,that would be stupid would it not?

I do not understand where this anger comes from. Why do you get so hostile towards those who have different opinions from you. Do you expect everyone to share you views? Mabey the mods have shut you down because of your hostility and unwillingness to accept that others will disagree with you. No one expects you to believe what they do nor should you do the same to them. I would go on but I need to get ready for Sunday Mass.

It is not fallacious if you are trying to make a point rather than trying to discredit a religion.

Christ used to quote the Scriptures in order to reveal a deeper meaning:

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Was he denigrating the Hebrew religion by selectively quoting one line out of the whole Law? Surely not. He was just pointing out that certain passages of their Scriptures did not fully reveal a deeper truth, which was based on love and forgiveness. By selecting that verse, He showed that some things were not self-evident from the Scriptures, and that extremists may take them literally and fall into grave errors while still believing they are doing God’s will.

It does not matter when a text was written and how people interpret it, inasmuch as they believe it is the word of God. When these Scriptures can lead someone to be mistaken as to what God’s will is, it is our duty to point this out in order for all to understand that God is the God of mercy and forgiveness.

The point is not how many of a certain religion are right and how many are wrong. By God’s grace, the majority of His faithful can see that He is a God of infinite love. We ought to be honest and face the truth. If you find those quotes offensive, ask yourself why, because I have not expressed any judgment in favor or against anyone - I have just quoted a Sacred Scripture. If you find my selection of those quotes offensive, it seems that you prefer to hide things that embarrass you and try to make it look like everything is nice and shiny when that may not necessarily be everyone’s understanding. That is not what I have learned: I have learned to bring everything to light and to not fear to be put to shame, without condemning or judging. Inasmuch as there is even one person of any religion who can act violently and justify his actions from his Scriptures, we have a problem, because God is the God of absolute peace.

[quote="jsaldar, post:6, topic:298620"]
These 3 religions worship the same God. They are Abrahamic religions.Yes, God loves all people.

[/quote]

Here is something to think about. Can they worship a God they reject?

1 john 2:22 tells us that who ever denies Jesus not only denies the Son but also denies the Father. Who ever does this is not only a liar but an anti christ.

Muslims flat out reject Jesus Christ as being the Son of God. They go so far as to say that Him dying on the cross was an illusion. The Bible clearly tells us if you reject the Son then you also reject the Father. If they reject the Son and ultimately reject the Father, how do they worship the Same God as Christians?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.