Jews – Do You Believe Jesus Rose From The Dead?

My Jewish Brethren,

Do you believe historically Jesus performed miracles and rose from the dead? If so, why don’t you believe he is the Messiah?

I don’t think historically, Jews would’ve believed he performed miracles or rose from the dead. The idea itself is probably against the Shema, the main tenet of Jewish doctrine. (Deut 6:4)

Perhaps the better question is do you believe there is life after death? Jesus confirmed without a doubt that all that is is the generosity of God.

Why? What does the oneness of God have to do with performing miracles? The prophets certainly performed miracles and others in Jesus’ own time. The difference is, Jesus did it by his own authority, through the power of the Holy Spirit, which is one of the reasons the Scribes the Pharisees were against him.

6sep13…There’s more money in having people believe that that Messiah is still to come.

26Sep13…Except for the handful at the foot of the cross who heard the winds roar and the rains fall when Jesus bowed His head and gave up His spirit. This handful of Jews said ‘surely, He was the Son of God’.

Actually, the Roman centurion said that. :slight_smile: But many Jews were converted to Christ at that time, this is true.

:bigyikes:

I am flabbergasted by this.

Please, any Jews reading this thread, that statement in no way represents the Catholic Church.

Correct.

In response to the OP, really, if an individual Jew came to believe that Jesus did rise from the dead how likely is it that they would not become Christian? Surely the vast majority of non-Christian Jews, like any non-Christians, must not believe this.

I agree completely.

This is a concise Jewish response to Christian claims that Jesus was the Messiah.

There is a relevant section beginning at 4:50 which I transcribed below:

“Missionaries will claim that because Jesus performed miracles, he must be the Messiah. However, we have no real evidence that Jesus actually performed any miracles. More significantly, even if Jesus did perform miracles, it would not prove he was the Messiah. Our Bible never says that we will be able to recognize the Messiah through the miracles that he will do. The Torah actually teaches that even false prophets can have the ability to perform supernatural miracles. (Deuteronomy 13:2-6)”

I’m not an expert on the subject, but that’s at least one response from one Jew.

This is true. Which is why Jesus never claimed that his miracles alone were the evidence for him being the Messiah. The fact that he did them in his own name was, though, something those hearing him and seeing him perform miracles could either accept or reject. :slight_smile:

Perhaps the better question is do you believe there is life after death? Jesus confirmed without a doubt that all that is is the generosity of God.

Thanks guys for your responses.

What I’m trying to get at here, is by using the same consistent standard to ascertain the authenticity of the previous prophets, how could the Jews deny Jesus? For example Jews believe Elisha did indeed perform miracles, so why don’t the Jews believe in the works (miracles, resurrection) of Jesus?

Does a geocentrist believe that the sun is the center of the universe?

Most Jews I’ve asked about the ressurection of Jesus tend to say, even if it did happen it doesn’t mean he was of God. When the question however is clarified to mean “What if he was ressurected in the state of the righteous described in Daniel 12?” then the argument gets crazy.

No, the Earth. Not gravitationally, as I understand it, but in position. But, I could be wrong about the second part. :shrug:

Remember the Jewish leaders of the time saw Jesus as committing blasphemy by claiming He was the Son of God.

For the Jewish people, there is only one God. Not God and His Son…

It wasnt about the miracles…that wasnt the issue for them…

My guess is you are trying to understand Jewish beliefs thru your Christian prism of thinking.

Trying to understand others thru our lens and not theirs often fails…

First of all, some Jews do believe Jesus to be the Messiah. I am one of them. My family, both sides of which are Jews, have believed in Christ and been members of the Catholic Church for centuries. We survived being expelled from Rome, Spain, Portugal, Mexico—and (while we are still studying the facts) we may have had family members among the first century Christians in Jerusalem!

Belief in a “messiah” is Jewish thing. The word, the concept, the promises, the Davidic dynasty—all of it is Jewish in nature. Accepting a “messiah,” whoever that messiah may be, is first and foremost adopting a very Jewish concept. For Jews accepting the Messiah means preservation of their nation, but as history has sadly shown in the past many Christians have demanded nothing but total assimilation and destruction of their culture, sometimes calling for the death of the Jews themselves. So when Jews hear the name “Christ” they don’t immediately see their salvation as a people connected to it. The behavior of Christians who have proved false to the name of Christ has not been a very good witness to the Jews over the years.

Another reason some Jews don’t accept Jesus is because they had preconceived ideas on what the arrival of the Messiah was supposed to bring. The future world of “new heavens and a new earth” promised in Revelation 21 are generally expected to arrive concurrently with the Messiah’s appearance by most Jews. Isaiah 65:17-21, a messianic prophecy, is expected to occur upon the Messiah’s advent, not after his death. Because Jesus taught this was still in the future (see Acts 1:6, 7), Jews who hold on to this interpretation have a hard time reconciling it with a Messiah who came, died for our sins, was resurrected, and left the planet some 2,000 years ago.

Christians also see Jesus as God incarnate. If this concept is difficult even for Christians to comprehend, imagine how difficult it is to the Jew who doesn’t look to the Church for religious instruction. Without the Church and its Apostolic Tradition to guide us it is pretty much impossible to come to an understanding and acceptance of the Trinity. Believing that a Human was God sounds foreign to everything Jews know and understand religiously, so it is difficult to accept a Human Messiah who is at the same time completely and fully God.

However, it should be noted that not all Jews have the same idea of what the Messiah is or should be. Some believe other individuals were the promised Messiah. Others believe the Messiah is not an individual but a concept. I’ve even heard some suggest that the Messiah is an ideal being fulfilled in the new state of Israel. And there are even some reform Jews who have dropped the entire Messiah concept altogether.

Others like the great Jewish teacher Maimonides, while not fully embracing Christianity, see God at work in Jesus. Maimonides taught that God uses Jesus to teach important truths to the Gentiles for their salvation.

But there are many of us Jews who, before any of you Gentiles saw it, embraced Jesus as the Messiah. Jews laid the foundation for what many Christians now freely embrace. Gentile Christians have made the words “Messiah” and the concept of the Christ their own. They daily rely on the Scriptures and some of the traditions from the Jewish people. The deepest respect is therefore owed them, for as St. Paul wrote, “in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.” (Romans 11:28, 29) God will not fail to preserve that which He has called into being.

Thanks for the entire post, Delson. The reason This point struck me the most was because just recently I was stopped in my thinking of the idea of Judeo/Christian thinking and realized just the view of God really is starkly different from Judaism and Christianity.

Appreciate the way you addressed it in a more observational way and less in the argumentative way I had read about it… :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.