Jews move to halt spitting at Christians in Jerusalem

NCR:

Jews move to halt spitting at Christians in Jerusalem

Globally speaking, the most serious new tension dividing Jews and Catholics is Pope Benedict XVI’s decision just before Christmas to advance the sainthood cause of Pius XII, the wartime pontiff whose alleged “silence” on the Holocaust has long been a subject of polarizing historical debate.
On the ground in Jerusalem, however, Jewish/Christian animus has a much more prosaic cause: Spitting.

Recently, the Jerusalem Post carried a piece quoting Rabbi David Rosen, a veteran of Catholic/Jewish dialogue, acknowledging that incidents of ultra-Orthodox Jews spitting at priests, nuns and other Christian clergy is “a part of life” in Jerusalem. Such incidents have been occurring for the last twenty years and are now on the rise, according to the story, although they appear to be limited to Jerusalem.
The piece quoted a Texas-born Franciscan, Fr. Athanasius Macora, who heads the Christian Information Center inside the Jaffa Gate, who said that he’s been spat upon by ultra-Orthodox Jews as much as fifteen times in the last six months – not only in the Old City, but also outside his Franciscan friary.

The story goes on to say the Israeli gov't is worried and convened a tribunal of Orthodox rabbis who issued a statement comdemning the harassment of gentiles.

Wow, hadn’t heard that before.Sad.

Not much has changed in 2000 years.

Well, I would a lot rather get spit on by ultra-Orthodox cranks in Israel than have my head cut off by ultra-Islamists in some Islamic state.

The important thing to note is that Orthodox Rabbis have condemned the harrassment of Gentiles. It is sad when anyone insults or harrasses others in the name of religion.

Christians in America going to work and paying taxes are the only thing keeping Israel from being overrun by it's neighbors. A little respect isn't too much to ask. :shrug:

Several years ago a priest was carrying an elevated crucifix during a procession commemorating Good Friday.An Orthodox young man spit at the crucifix and the priest clocked him.I don’t blame him ONE BIT.

[quote="Soutane, post:7, topic:182015"]
Several years ago a priest was carrying an elevated crucifix during a procession commemorating Good Friday.An Orthodox young man spit at the crucifix and the priest clocked him.I don't blame him ONE BIT.

[/quote]

The isolated incidents involving some ultra orthodox Jews spitting on Christians in Jerusalem are outrageous and will not be tolerated. In a case brought before me recently where the Christian reacted at the attempt to spit at him by assaulting the person "clearing his throat", I have recommended to the prosecution that they dismiss the case for assault against the Christian, despite the extent of the injuries to the complainant. On the other hand, any person involved in such spitting incidents against Christians, if brought before me or any other judge, can expect to be dealt with the severity that such a despicable act warrants.

[quote="chosen_people, post:8, topic:182015"]
The isolated incidents involving some ultra orthodox Jews spitting on Christians in Jerusalem are outrageous and will not be tolerated. In a case brought before me recently where the Christian reacted at the attempt to spit at him by assaulting the person "clearing his throat", I have recommended to the prosecution that they dismiss the case for assault against the Christian, despite the extent of the injuries to the complainant. On the other hand, any person involved in such spitting incidents against Christians, if brought before me or any other judge, can expect to be dealt with the severity that such a despicable act warrants.

[/quote]

According to the story these incidents are not so isolated. (One priest being spat on 15 times in the last 6 months). Have any of these people actually been convicted and punished for assault? If not, the statement appears to be just a PR exercise.

[quote="Petergee, post:9, topic:182015"]
According to the story these incidents are not so isolated. (One priest being spat on 15 times in the last 6 months). Have any of these people actually been convicted and punished for assault? If not, the statement appears to be just a PR exercise.

[/quote]

From inquiries I have made there are a small number of cases under investigation after the perpetrators were detained, questioned and released on bail. To the best of my knowledge this is a relatively new phenomenon that hopefully will be completely stamped out in the future. On the basis of my intimate personal knowledge and experience of both the Israeli judicial system and the Israel police, I expect that everyone of these cases will be prosecuted to the fullest.

If anyone spit on me, my natural reflex (after gagging!) would be to deck him. Is the culture really that different in Israel that the Christians just take it? On the other hand, Christ was spat upon, so maybe it’s seen as persecution-for-their-faith kind of thing? :shrug:

In Christ,

Ellen

Thank you, chosen people, for informing us of the efforts to stop this behavior. I see you live in Israel, so your close knowledge of what is happening is very valuable. I think any harrassment of anyone for their religion, race, or nationality is flat out wrong. Hopefully, anti-semitism will be brought to a halt as well. God bless.

Remember that in Israel the Christians are the minority…so decking a member of the majority might get you decked several times over or cause a major incident. It is kind of like if someone slaps you across the face, part of what determines whether you return the slap is how many people are standing on their side.

[quote="nsper7, post:13, topic:182015"]
Remember that in Israel the Christians are the minority...so decking a member of the majority might get you decked several times over or cause a major incident. It is kind of like if someone slaps you across the face, part of what determines whether you return the slap is how many people are standing on their side.

[/quote]

If one causes a major incident, then one gets major attention. This works with mobs, too.

[quote="RobbyS, post:14, topic:182015"]
If one causes a major incident, then one gets major attention. This works with mobs, too.

[/quote]

What are you getting at? I mean, yeah, it might end up in the news: 'Franciscan Decks Spitting Jew' or something and it could well bring attention to the problem, but how much consolation will that bring when a person ends up in traction for quite some time?

Wow. Take a look at the comments on the story at the Jerusalem Post:

jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1259231077244&pagename=JPArticle/ShowFull

I had no idea that the Jews hate us so much.

This is a very good article well worth reading, but to be fair, the article points out that those who abuse Christians by spitting on them are a small minority, usually the most conservative Jews, and that these incidents seem to be limited to the old city of Jerusalem. It’s a bit of a stretch to assume that “the Jews” hate Christians, though of course, abusive behavior by some Jews towards those of different faiths should be explored and ways to prevent such abuse should be sought.

[quote="Lurch104, post:16, topic:182015"]
Wow. Take a look at the comments on the story at the Jerusalem Post:

jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1259231077244&pagename=JPArticle/ShowFull

I had no idea that the Jews hate us so much.

[/quote]

Neither did I. I just googled 'spitting Jews' and can read a load of articles about spitting Jews. Why are the particular spitting-Jews so filled with hatred towards Christians, what does it stem from?

There is a small minority of Ultra Orthodox Jews, and the people involved involved here are a small even more extreme minority of this small minority.This fringe group does not recognize the Jewish state or Zionism, Israeli authority or its institutions. They won’t adjudicate their disputes in an Israeli court or even accept a Kashrut certificate from the Israeli rabbinate. They throw stones at Jews driving their cars on the Sabbath, riot over the opening of a parking lot on the Sabbath or a factory operating on the Sabbath, even if no Jews are working on the Sabbath. Some spit at non-Jews. However, they are as representative of Jews and Jewish attitudes as the Westboro Baptist Church is of Christianity and Christians as a whole.

How does the Israeli government relate to this fringe group, especially when civil laws are broken? Do these people feel oppressed by the government when they pay taxes or are forced to obey the law?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.