Jihadis capture major Syrian airbase in northeast

Look’s like this war is a long way from ending dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Aug-24/268306-isis-seizes-control-of-tabqa-last-syrian-army-base-in-northern-raqqa.ashx#axzz3BLZ45Si8

And they get airplanes, helicopters and whatever else is there though they may not have the abilities on a widespread basis to use them.

I doubt there were any aircraft at the base.

You are right and the retired military officer on Fox News is wrong. Glad we have the truth.

I just don’t understand this conflict. ISIS has 35,000 troops and no air force. They have been fighting the Syrian army, Hezbollah, the moderate Syrian opposition, other Islamists who consider them too extreme, the Iraqi army and the Kurdish Peshmerga. How are they still winning battles? :confused:

There are claims that ISIS actually numbers 60.000 and is growing rapidly.

The Pershmerga are poorly armed and nobody will arm them. We should, and generously, but we don’t.
Other Syrian groups are poorly armed and are at odds with each other anyway.
Hezbollah isn’t all that big, with maybe 1,000 full time fighters and 5,000 or so auxiliaries.
The Syrian army isn’t as motivated as ISIS and is following a Shiite leadership the majority Sunni hate.
The Iraqi army fled, as it had no real desire to defend Sunni who, at least to some degree, are in bed with ISIS.

ISIS is not likely to run into serious opposition until:

1. The U.S. commits serious military to combat them. That won’t happen. Obama’s de facto policy was to leave the Middle East for Iran and Sunni jihadis to fight over.
  2. Other Arab states join to combat them. Not terribly likely, as only Egypt has the manpower and weaponry but has its own troubles at home.
  3. They invade the Shiite part of Iraq and run headlong into the Iranian army in full force, with the U.S. air force and special forces acting as Iranian mercenaries. Could happen.

Tabqa airfield – home to several warplane squadrons, helicopters, tanks, artillery, and ammunition bunkers – is the third military base in the area to fall to the extremists since last month. Those victories are part of the Islamic State group’s aggressive push to consolidate its hold on northern and eastern provinces, while also expanding the boundaries of its self-styled caliphate straddling the Syria-Iraq border.

foxnews.com/world/2014/08/24/islamic-state-group-takes-over-at-least-part-besieged-syrian-air-base-in/

We certainly don’t know their inventory but we have an idea.

I read the article from the Daily Star Lebanon, not sure if they state what was there.

I don’t doubt it’s growing rapidly. In some poll or other, it appeared some 10% of all Muslims have jihadi sympathies. That’s something like 100,000,000 jihad supporters. Of those, thousands upon thousands would love to kill infidels and are physically fit enough to do it.

3 week fight for that base, I guess if they have planes, they could have destroyed them however, it would not be that convenient for the personnel guiding that base. That’s pretty bad that the Syrian Military could not maintain that base though we don’t know the exact situation. Amazing to think of such a battle and ISIS is straight from the netherworld though I’d think a competent military could defeat them such as Lebanon appears to have done.

news.yahoo.com/arab-ministers-saudi-discuss-syria-crises-211644261.html

Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) (AFP) -** Arab foreign ministers held a meeting in Saudi Arabia on Sunday to discuss the Syrian conflict and the rise of “extremism” in the region, the official SPA news agency reported.**

The meeting came as US media reported that Washington, which has launched air raids in northern Iraq against Islamic State, could consider similar action against IS jihadists in Syria.

The closed-door talks in the Red Sea city of Jeddah was attended by the foreign ministers of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar, as well as an advisor to Jordan’s foreign minister, said SPA.

I’m sure competent military can handle ISIS but they have largely faced little military so if they are not contained, I think that represents a big danger. Hence, this special conference meeting that was called.

Along with apparently some private donors from the region helping IS.

USA, someone I’m sure could step in and say, crack down on whomever is financially helping these rebels.

Conflicting reports about this battle

Syrian state media later reported that its forces, backed by warplanes, were attacking the rebels after leaving the area and regrouping.

State television said army troops were launching “precision strikes” against “terrorist groups in the area, inflicting heavy losses”. aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/08/islamic-state-syria-tabqa-base-2014824123659332825.html

It seems choosing the right side over there would be kind of like if Western Powers were to get involved in the Cartel Wars of Mexico and had to pick one side. All of the sides are bad. Even the Federal Government of Mexico has problems. So it’s largely chaos.

Update. Though most of the info came from anti-government sources.

As in the aftermath of its recent take-overs of military facilities, militants placed the severed heads of government soldiers on an iron fence in Naim Square in the city of Raqqa, the de facto capital of ISIS operations in Syria, the Observatory said.

dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Aug-26/268488-isis-mops-up-around-tabqa-airport.ashx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.