Jimmy Akin vs. Dr. Robert Morey

Listening to the 12/13/01 episode of CAL, the episode begins with Jimmy talking about how he just got done doing a radio debate vs. Dr. Morey. Any idea if this is out on the internet somewhere???

Debate? Debate? You rang?? :smiley:

That’s one I haven’t heard of. Didn’t know Akin debated Morey. I do have the Fastiggi vs. Morey debate from 1992 on tape. But haven’t heard of this one. I know Akin called into one of Morey’s radio appearances once and corrected him on “supererogation” but that’s all I know. :confused: Let me know if/when you find this one.

Phil P

This is a rare day—stumping PhilVaz, the official Catholic apologetics audio archivist!

Mark this day well, friends–you’ll not see its like again!

Clearly a sign that we are approaching the last days. :eek:

Once a mother brought her son to a rabbi. The rabbi said to the boy, “I’ll give you a guilder if you can tell me where God lives.” The boy didn’t need much time to think and replied, “And I will give you two guilders if you can tell me where God doesn’t live.”

Pax vobiscum
Good Fella :wink:

Phil doesn’t have it. Nooooooooooooo!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/1.gif

<< stumping PhilVaz, the official Catholic apologetics audio archivist! >>

Oh there’s someone who has me beat. Check out this blog:

Free Catholic MP3 blog

He links to all my debates, plus a thousand more. I think its someone who posts here. That reminds me, I’ll probably put up soon the rare 1987 debate Karl Keating vs. Bill Jackson. I’ll convert from old cassette tapes.

PhilVaz Audio

Phil P

You have only yourself to blame, Phil. You’re the one who sent me a disk of MP3 debates, which got me into the whole Catholic MP3 thing, which led to my blog. IOW, it’s all your fault! :stuck_out_tongue:

That reminds me, I’ll probably put up soon the rare 1987 debate Karl Keating vs. Bill Jackson. I’ll convert from old cassette tapes.

Let me know if/when you do – I’ll post it on the blog.

God Bless,
RyanL

Phil is to blame for all our MP3 addictions! :eek: I was listening to his linked evolution debates way before I ever even came to this site!

Oh so its you RyanL. The Keating vs. Jackson from 1987 will be here in a few hours from now:

bringyou.to/KeatingJacksonDebate.mp3

The topic is “Who is the Vicar of Christ?” The tapes are in good shape, so this should come out ok.

Phil P

Thanks, Phil. I’ll put it up first thing in the morning!

Hey – did you check out the atheist debates I posted last week? There’s one by a guy named D’Souza that you have to listen to!

God Bless,
RyanL

RyanL << Thanks, Phil. I’ll put it up first thing in the morning! Hey – did you check out the atheist debates I posted last week? There’s one by a guy named D’Souza that you have to listen to! >>

Oh yeah, I think I discovered that guy from a link on your MP3 blog. I re-edited his video debate with Chris Hitchens into an MP3. I think he is debating both Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett soon.

His new book “What is So Great About Christianity?” is very nice. Good debater, he could be another William Lane Craig if he polishes his philosophy. His history is good.

bringyou.to/DSouzaHitchensDebate.mp3

His web site is

dineshdsouza.com/

Phil P

Thanks to both of you–Ryan and Phil.

I found Phil’s site from CAF; I found Ryan’s site from surfing the web.

I’ve downloaded hours of talks from both of your sites. You are both doing a great service for the Church.

BTW, what sorts of talks are you allowed to download on the web? Are there some talks that you can’t download because of copyright laws?

I’m asking because I have some tapes I would like to convert to MP3 and send to you so you can make them available on your sites.

First, you’re quite welcome.

Second, [Disclaimer] I am not a lawyer (yet). This is not legal advice. [/Disclaimer]

That said, the issue you’re dealing with is copyright infringement (which extends some 70 years after the death of the creator - so for audio, consider it all copyrighted). If someone explicitly puts something in the public domain, it’s not a copyright violation to copy / redistribute the whole thing. Unfortunately, few people explicitly do so – you have to use magic words like “I’m putting this in the public domain”, and hardly anyone would bother to do that.

SO…I don’t actually host anything. I don’t have a server and I don’t redistribute – so I couldn’t host anything even if you made copies (which I’d advise against, as a layman - it likely spells trouble). What I do is point people to the hosting site (typically the site of the creator of the work) so that they know where to find the resources the creators are making. IOW, I’m creating an common access point for Catholic MP3s and not “redistributing” (like a peer-to-peer file sharing program might). A form of this is often known as deep linking, and the verdict is still out on whether or not it’s a kosher practice – maybe it is, maybe it’s not. So far, most of the cases regarding deep linking have been commercial (see, e.g., eBay v. Bidder’s Edge), and the files I deal with are free to listen to at the hosting site and I get no income by linking to them.

Frankly, I think this will ultimately be deemed just fine. I don’t see what I do as being much different than google – in fact, google is precisely how I find what I find. And google isn’t about to be deemed illegal any time soon. I’m just better at googling than most, so I give people access to my mad skilz. Lol.

That’s probably a bit more than you were asking, but it might be helpful to know. It’s doubtful that any religious group would go after you (since they usually want their message to be heard more than they want profits), but it’s certainly a possibility and becomes even more of a possibility if the sales are how they support themselves. My advice would be not to make copies available to the general public, but making a mix tape (even of whole debates) for a friend is still fine.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,
RyanL

Hey Phil,

Who do you think won the debate between Fastiggi and Morey??

Also where can I buy the debate?

p.s you should put your audios on your excellent site on a i tunes podcast format!!

eric << Hey Phil, Who do you think won the debate between Fastiggi and Morey?? Also where can I buy the debate? p.s you should put your audios on your excellent site on a i tunes podcast format!! >>

That’s an idea, but I guess I’m old fashioned. I prefer direct download. I know with podcasts it probably gets them out quicker, I’d rather people find me through a search.

On the Fastiggi/Morey, I think Morey came out on top. Fastiggi is a theologian, not a debater. These were 1992 so it’s been a while and I only have them on cassette. I believe this debate was on biblical authority (sola scriptura) and justification (sole fide). If it’s still available it would be from Morey’s www.FaithDefenders.com

Fastiggi did a little better with White a few years later. White still sells those: on papal infallibility, Mary, indulgences, and justification.

Interesting that Morey is being consistent and wrote a book attacking Eastern Orthodoxy. It’s about time! :rolleyes: The title of the book “Is Eastern Orthodoxy Christian?” and his answer is a big NO. :rolleyes:

Phil P

Thanks for your response Phil. I personally wouldn’t buy resources from any of these two, irrespective of anything. Simply because that same money will be used to attack Christ’s Church. For example I have some of James White’s books, but only bought them second hand, so his ministry wouldnt receive any of the money.If you know any Catholic places where I can purchase the debates that would helpful to know.

Btw, James White sure does drop your name a lot on his website, you two seem to have some history!

God bless
Eric

does Jimmy akin have them at his website?

I thought Dr. Robert Morey had fallen off the edge of the world. He had a radio show that broadcast here in St. Louis years ago. Apparently it couldn’t support itself and went off the airwaves. I miss him, even if he does tend to be a bit of a dirty street fighter in debates.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.