Jimmy Carter: Obama-Castro Handshake ‘Was Something Significant’

[LEFT]“His struggle was your struggle. His triumph was your triumph,” U.S. President Barack Obama said in an address to the cheering crowd. He described Mandela as “a giant of history” who moved his country toward justice and inspired the world. As Obama walked to the podium, he and Cuban President Raul Castro shook hands.[/LEFT]
washington.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/mourners-in-south-africa-flock-to-mandela-memorial/

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ad_122519425.jpg?w=650&h=432&crop=1#038;h=665

Seems inappropriate given the occasion

metro.co.uk/2013/12/10/nelson-mandela-memorial-tributes-speeches-and-a-selfie-that-may-land-obama-in-hot-water-at-home-4225895/

[quote="gilliam, post:1, topic:347757"]
[LEFT]“His struggle was your struggle. His triumph was your triumph,” U.S. President Barack Obama said in an address to the cheering crowd. He described Mandela as “a giant of history” who moved his country toward justice and inspired the world. As Obama walked to the podium, he and Cuban President Raul Castro shook hands.[/LEFT]
washington.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/mourners-in-south-africa-flock-to-mandela-memorial/

[/quote]

Wonder what the Cubans think? :shrug:

I think we have to take this with a grain of salt. In kindness we must remember that this president did not know about "Fast and Furious", what went on in Benghazi, anything about the IRS scandal and that people could NOT keep their insurance policies....He most likely doesn't know who Raul Castro is.

But then again, I am still wondering why any real American would attend the funeral of a Marxist terrorist.

[quote="JB_Dugan, post:4, topic:347757"]
I think we have to take this with a grain of salt. In kindness we must remember that this president did not know about "Fast and Furious", what went on in Benghazi, anything about the IRS scandal and that people could NOT keep their insurance policies....He most likely doesn't know who Raul Castro is.

But then again, I am still wondering why any real American would attend the funeral of a Marxist terrorist.

[/quote]

Right on.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="gilliam, post:1, topic:347757"]

[/quote]

And the world shook...because a world leader extended a common courtesy to another world leader.

I wonder if Pope Benedict or JPII managed to visit Cuba without once shaking hands with a Castro? Or if the US President managed to visit China without shaking hands with a single Communist?

[quote="seekerz, post:6, topic:347757"]
And the world shook...because a world leader extended a common courtesy to another world leader.

I wonder if Pope Benedict or JPII managed to visit Cuba without once shaking hands with a Castro? Or if the US President managed to visit China without shaking hands with a single Communist?

[/quote]

Yes, it is a matter of common courtesy between world leaders and nothing more. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (attributed to Sigmund Freud).

[/quote]

Didn't he win the Nobel Peace Prize? Don't you feel that characterizing his entire life as being a marxist terrorist a tad bit uncharitable?

:rotfl:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which one are you calling a Marxist terrorist?

I wonder if Pope Benedict or JPII managed to visit Cuba without once shaking hands with a Castro?

[/quote]

Funny you should ask...

[quote="NewEnglandPriest, post:11, topic:347757"]
Funny you should ask...

[/quote]

Muchas gracias. :)

[/quote]

Well since the USA was founded on terrorism and is the biggest terrorist state of the last 100 years it only fitting I guess. :thumbsup:

[quote="Cricket2, post:10, topic:347757"]
Which one are you calling a Marxist terrorist?

[/quote]

Nelson Mandela. If he calls Mr Mandela a terrorist I hate to see what he calls Gandhi, MLK or Jesus.

[quote="esieffe, post:8, topic:347757"]
Didn't he win the Nobel Peace Prize? Don't you feel that characterizing his entire life as being a marxist terrorist a tad bit uncharitable?

[/quote]

Winning a Nobel Prize is meaningless. Just ask Obama, or Al Gore. It's a joke.

It may have meant something in the past, but sadly, no more.

[/quote]

:D Right on both counts!

"'If there is a country that has committed unspeakable things against the world, it is the United States of America" Nelson Mandela. No joke!

[quote="tamedlion, post:17, topic:347757"]
"'If there is a country that has committed unspeakable things against the world, it is the United States of America" Nelson Mandela. No joke!

[/quote]

Nothing gets a funeral and memorial off to a rousing start more than leftists turning it into roast of America's evil ways while literally foaming at the mouth.

So it is wrong to speak ill of Mandela since he just died, but using his memorial to rail against the U.S.A. (without specifics, or punctuation) is okay?

By the No joke! part I meant that the statement had been said by Mandela, not that I agree with it, there's a few more quotes from Mandela that can let us know how he felt. Sorry, no leftist here, been there, did not like it.

[quote="SuperLuigi, post:3, topic:347757"]
Wonder what the Cubans think? :shrug:

[/quote]

I was borne in Cuba, my father died of a heart attack 10 years ago under Castrocare. It took 3 hours to find transportation to get him to the hospital and since there is no Rescue in Cuba ,it was too late. When I was 10 years old I heard a woman cried so loud (47 years later I still remember) her 20 year old son was shot dead trying to leave the island. I know a Catholic Priest Padre Parra, he told me how at night the communist would stone his house, how the communist cut the brake line in his car to kill him, how they placed condoms in his home to discredit him. I think Mr. Obama shook the Devil's hand this morning.
May God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.