Jimmy Kimmel Busted for ‘Misleading’ Video Edit to Bash Mike Pence

Here is Jimmy Kimmel lying to his own viewers about Vice President Pence.

Jimmy Kimmel Busted for ‘Misleading’ Video Edit to Bash Mike Pence

Screenshot/ABC/CSPAN

Screenshot/ABC/CSPAN

DAVID NG

8 May 2020 Breitbart News

ABC’s left-wing late-night host Jimmy Kimmel is getting blasted for airing a deceptively edited video implying that Vice President Mike Pence was faking his recent effort to help a healthcare facility. In addition to social media backlash, journalists at NBC News and BuzzFeed News called out Kimmel for putting out “misleading” and “selective” video, adding that the original C-SPAN footage disproves his claim.

Vice President Pence was seen on Thursday delivering boxes of personal protection equipment to a healthcare facility in Alexandria, Virginia. At the end of the version that aired on ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! , the vice president is heard saying, “Well, can I carry the empty ones? Just for the camera?”

Kimmel then chimed in: “Mike Pence pretending to carry empty boxes of PPE’s into a hospital is the perfect metaphor for who he is and what he’s doing — a big box of nothing delivering another box of nothing.”

But the longer C-SPAN version of the video tells a different story than the one Kimmel was spinning. In the original footage, Pence appears to make his remark as a joke before closing a van door and leaving the empty boxes for someone else to carry.

NBC News investigative reporter Emmanuelle Saliba tweeted: “I went back to the original @cspan footage and sounds like @VP was making a joke about the empty boxes. He doesn’t carry those last boxes. He shuts the van doors and turns to speak CEO of @fedresources.”

Emmanuelle Saliba 🧐 :heavy_check_mark: @_esaliba

Edit is misleading.

I went back to the original @cspan footage and sounds like @VP was making a joke about the empty boxes.

He doesn’t carry those last boxes. He shuts the van doors and turns to speak CEO of @fedresources . .

I isolated the clip here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4874462/user-clip-full-clip-mike-pence-delivering-ppe … https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1258750892448387074 … . .

Kimmel’s deceptively edited video went viral after it aired late Thursday thanks in large part to a tweet by a pollster named Matt McDermott who wrote, “Mike Pence caught on hot mic delivering empty boxes of PPE for a PR stunt.” . . .

Then this . . . .

. . . On Thursday, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! aired a video showing Vice President Pence delivering boxes of personal protection equipment to a health care facility in Alexandria, Virginia. At the end of the video, the vice president is heard saying, “Well, can I carry the empty ones? Just for the camera?”

Kimmel accused the vice president of faking the whole event. “Mike Pence pretending to carry empty boxes of PPE’s into a hospital is the perfect metaphor for who he is and what he’s doing — a big box of nothing delivering another box of nothing,” he said on air.

The spot went viral on Twitter and was retweeted by celebrities and left-wing political figures.

But C-SPAN’s longer video of the same event has since shown that the vice president never carried the empty boxes and was apparently only joking with his associates. Kimmel was slammed by reporters from NBC News and Buzzfeed, who called Kimmel’s video “misleading” and “selective” in its presentation.

Kimmel acknowledged the massive error in a tweet that he laced with sarcasm.

“It would appear that @vp was joking about carrying empty boxes for a staged publicity stunt. The full video reveals that he was carrying full boxes for a staged publicity stunt. My apologies. I know how dearly this administration values truth,” he tweeted.

Kimmel’s deceptively edited video went viral thanks in large part to a tweet by a pollster named Matt McDermott who wrote, “Mike Pence caught on hot mic delivering empty boxes of PPE for a PR stunt.” . . .

Kimmel is a comedian. Of course he was sarcastic. The crisis was a bonus comedy moment

1 Like

" the vice president is heard saying, ‘Well, can I carry the empty ones? Just for the camera?’ "
What’s to be sarcastic about? Pence’s actually suggestion a literally empty gesture for a good photo op.

Perhaps you were referring to Kimmel’s apology. Yes, I agree, that was sarcasm.

I suppose that depends on whether you think Pence was joking or not. Either way, life is just too short to be outraged about twitter drama.

I think that he was joking. Probably a little self-deprecating. But it was a photo-op.
and as we will have 80k dead by the end of the day, it is not surprising that patience for photo-ops like this wears thin.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.