JK Rowling criticises “divisive and bitter” EU campaigns

JK Rowling criticises “divisive and bitter” EU campaigns

Read more: scotsman.com/news/uk/jk-rowling-criticises-divisive-and-bitter-eu-campaigns-1-4159380#ixzz4C7hEbxzm

**Harry Potter author JK Rowling has said the EU referendum is “one of the most divisive and bitter political campaigns ever waged” and suggested the Leave campaign was attracting “racists and bigots”.

In an essay published on her website, Ms Rowling said the narratives advanced in the campaign have been “uglier than any I can remember in my lifetime”.

Ms Rowling, who announced her support for remaining in the EU on twitter yesterday, said both sides of the debate had “not been afraid to conjure monsters calculated to stir up our deepest fears”, but was particularly critical of campaigning for Brexit by Ukip leader Nigel Farage.**

Amid continuing controversy over a poster unveiled by Mr Farage last week, Ms Rowling said immigrants have been “at the centre of some of the nastiest arguments of this campaign”.

Likening aspects of the Leave campaign to the “post-truth politics” embraced by US presidential hopeful Donald Trump, she said: “With the arrogance of a bunch of mini-Trumps they swear that everything will be glorious as long as we disregard the experts and listen to them. Embrace the rage and trust your guts, which Nigel Farage undoubtedly hopes contain a suspicion of brown people, an unthinking jingoism and an indifference to the warnings of history.”

Ms Rowling added: “It is dishonourable to suggest, as many have, that Leavers are all racists and bigots: they aren’t and it is shameful to suggest that they are.

“Nevertheless, it is equally nonsensical to pretend that racists and bigots aren’t flocking to the ‘Leave’ cause, or that they aren’t, in some instances, directing it. For some of us, that fact alone is enough to give us pause.

“The picture of Nigel Farage standing in front of a poster showing a winding line of Syrian refugees captioned ‘Breaking Point’ is, as countless people have already pointed out, an almost exact duplicate of propaganda used by the Nazis.”

I really don’t have an opinion on Brexit as I don’t live in Britain and don’t know enough about it to express opinion but I wonder why anyone in Briitain would care what JK Rowling has to say about it ?

Here a link to and salient sample from this excellent article by JK Rowling, which for me gets it spot on:

jkrowling.com/en_GB/#/timeline/on-monsters-villains-and-the-EU-referendum

**It is dishonourable to suggest, as many have, that Leavers are all racists and bigots: they aren’t and it is shameful to suggest that they are. Nevertheless, it is equally nonsensical to pretend that racists and bigots aren’t flocking to the ‘Leave’ cause, or that they aren’t, in some instances, directing it. For some of us, that fact alone is enough to give us pause. The picture of Nigel Farage standing in front of a poster showing a winding line of Syrian refugees captioned ‘Breaking Point’ is, as countless people have already pointed out, an almost exact duplicate of propaganda used by the Nazis.

Nationalism is on the march across the Western world, feeding upon the terrors it seeks to inflame. Every nationalist will tell you that their nationalism is different, a natural, benign response to their country’s own particular needs and challenges, nothing to do with that nationalism of yore that ended up killing people, yet every academic study of nationalism has revealed the same key features. Your country is the greatest in the world, the nationalist cries, and anyone who isn’t chanting that is a traitor! Drape yourself in the flag: doesn’t that make you feel bigger and more powerful? Finding the present scary? We’ve got a golden past to sell you, a mythical age that will dawn again once we’ve got rid of the Mexicans/left the EU/annexed Ukraine! Now place your trust in our simplistic slogans and enjoy your rage aginst the Other!..

I’m the mongrel product of this European continent and I’m an internationalist. I was raised by a Francophile mother whose family was proud of their part-French heritage. My French ancestors lived in the troubled province of Alsace, which spent hundreds of years being alternately annexed by Germany and France. I’ve lived in France and Portugal and I’ve studied French and German. I love having these mulitple allegiances and cultural associations. They make me stronger, not weaker. I glory in association with the cultures of my fellow Europeans. My values are not contained or proscribed by borders. The absence of a visa when I cross the channel has symbolic value to me. I might not be in my house, but I’m still in my hometown.

The ‘Leave’ campaign is selling itself as the courageous option. Take a leap of faith, they say. Step off the cliff and let the flag catch you!..Embrace the rage and trust your guts, which Nigel Farage undoubtedly hopes contain a suspicion of brown people, an unthinking jingoism and an indifference to the warnings of history…

Yet how can a retreat into selfish and insecure individualism be the right response when Europe faces genuine threats, when the bonds that tie us are so powerful, when we have come so far together? How can we hope to conquer the enormous challenges of terrorism and climate change without cooperation and collaboration?

Because she is a prominent and talented woman from the UK, with a worldwide fan-base and reputation, who has a right to voice her opinion just like anybody else on the most pressing issue facing her country? :shrug:

Expelreramus!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.