Job Dilemma

I have been looking for a job/career with my Bachelor’s degree and it’s been kind of difficult finding one that I would really love. I mainly want to do counseling or working with youth, but I had applied to a law office as a receptionist because I needed a job in the meantime. I recently got a full time job at a law office as a receptionist; the pay is good, my boss is so nice and so are the other staff members. However, I still want to find a job that will start my career, but I feel bad if I look for another job while still working at this place. Is it wrong to leave if I found another job or even just to look for another job? One of the main reasons I feel bad is because my boss (who hired me) is so appreciative and kind. I was thinking that if I did end up leaving, I would offer to still help out part time even couple days for free. Advice??? Thanks!!

No, it’s all a part of the real world and ultimatly your current employers will understand when you get your chance to start your chosen career and be happy for you. There is nothing wrong morally with searching out a better job when your holding something that isn’t ideal for your skill set, experience and desires.

Go find your big break with confidence! :thumbsup:

Aw, thank you! :slight_smile:

You have to do what is best for you and your career in the long run. Do you think they will feel bad if they decide to fire you because really you are over qualified and it just isn’t fair to have you in such an entry level position. Do you think they are going to worry about whether you can pay your rent or car payment or electric bill?

You are under no obligation to remain in this position if and when the job of your dreams comes around. I would definately keeps my options open

Give your current employer adequate notice and then move into your career. Remember that it is just a job whereby you sell your time for a wage. Any additional gratification comes from the results of what you do but as far as your employer is concerned he hired you for the tasks at hand and your completion of those tasks.

I have been with my employer for 26+ years and now that times are tough they are sitting me at home and they are not considering the devastation that it is causing me. This has nothing to do with liking people. I really like many of my coworkers but if an opportunity presents itself I have to leave. When I was young I too thought that I “owed” something to my employer but as I got older and wiser I have come to the realization that they “owe” you nothing and you “owe” them nothing more than the negotiated wage for the negotiated tasks. This is the harsh reality. Please don’t find yourself regretting your choices years from now when they walk in with your pink slip.

Again, be fair and courteous giving them fair notice and then go and do your thing. God bless you and may the Lord find you your place with the youth…teachccd :slight_smile:

Very true. Thank you so much, God bless you also!

My worries were thinking that I’m taking advantage by working to earn money but in the back of my mind I’m thinking to go work somewhere else. But, I suppose this is not immoral? The reason i was thinking is because i’m sure if they knew i was looking for another job than they wouldn’t hire me.

Some times, we all just need something to get by. We all understand this… Some employers “protect” them selves from this by not highering someone who is “over qualified” for the job. What that means is that based upon their experience and education they could not possibly want to do that job.

Others, like your law firm are OK with finding someone to get by until they need to find someone else. I’m sure that in particular they are used to your position being a little bit more “transiant”. That is, people come in for a while, then they find something else better and move on.

So even though I started this new job 2 weeks ago, it’s ok to leave within let’s just say a month or two if i found something else?

I would say this, just don’t worry about it. This is the small stuff in life, God wants you to use your talents. Just be honest about who you are, and what you do at work. You might get your big break next month, you might not get it for another 3 or 4 years. You have no way of knowing, and you need to be doing something in the mean time.

My best advice?
Stay with the current job for awhile.
Pull in some savings and get a six-month slot
for your resume along with some good references.

As for working with youth: look for volunteer activities.
All agencies can use some extra help. If you’re good
at the volunteering, the agency will let you know that.
You can get a good reference out of the volunteer work
or something (a job) might open up at that agency.

Only check into volunteer work at agencies that
you know are very reputable. Check carefully!

(Retired from 40+ yrs of social services with children/youth.)

Yep.

Although see below:

Pretty good advice.

Sometimes employers (I’m one of them) can look disfavorably on short-term employment on a resume. While we were probably in a similar position at one time in our careers and can be understanding, it’s frustrating for an employer who has to fill a postion over and over again for short-termers.

That being said, you are under no obligation to stay at a certain job. However, it is nice to let your employer know that you may be looking for something more in your field of interest, and also if you find something else suitable give him or her at least two weeks notice.

If you are just out of college and you are only planning to stay there a couple of months then you do not even need that job on a resume. I still stand with my opinion that if an opportunity comes up for what you are looking for longterm then go for it. You have to trust me that your employer will find others to replace you in a heartbeat. You should know more than anyone how hard the job market is these days. It’s not like there are not others exactly like you out there. In fact, you might be taking the job of someone who is looking for the postition that you are holding now. So go with your leads and again my best to you in your future. Give ample notice and then move into your future job. No guilt needed… teachccd

Unless you have a contract or some other agreement to stay a certain length of time, there is no obligation to do so. Yes, it is quite possible your present employers will be disappointed in your leaving, but disappointing people is not a sin. Give apprppriate notice and move on if your dream job comes along.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.