Job frustrations - Help!

Hi All,

I don’t know if this is the correct forum, but I need some advice. I worked at a company for 15 years. I gained lots of good experience during that time. Unfortunately, the company changed my job and told me that I needed to go on the road and do sales for the company. I had 2 preschool kids and I could not do that.

So I left that company and started all over… and I mean literally started over. I took a job in assembly and now have worked my way into a nice office position and I finished my bachelor degree. I am a single parent trying to better myself because while my job is nice I need more money to run my household. I have been with my new employer for 8-1/2 years.

My problem is that now people tell me that they are looking for candidates with “recent” experience. I have the experience and they can see that - but my experience was from my previous employer.

Any suggestions on how I can counter that we need “recent experience” thought?

Please let me know

Thanks

Terri

**Can you do the job? Or do you need to update your skills?

If you know you can do the job, sell that in your interviews! Tell them to give you a chance to prove it. I think, aside from a good resume, employers like to see confidence…

If you can’t do the job and would benefit from an upgrade in your skills, try to do that and then find a job in your field…

I don’t know anything though so:shrug:, lol

Malia**

Did they give any feedback at to why they need “recent” experience. I thought experience was experience. Unless of course the field is one that is constantly updating and being out of it for several years may affect what you know. Certain technology fields come to mind where new forms of that particular technology have come about or been replaced and one may not be familiar with it if they have not been working with it. Just an example though. Did they say specifically what you are lacking due to the gap from your previous experience?

Thanks for your replies.

I am trying to get the interview. It was an email correspondence and he did not say what I may be lacking…but that would be a good question to ask.

Hi Terri;

You could put together a business plan, outlining the experience you gained from your last employer, and how you can be an asset NOW using that very same experience. How you are a quick study, etc…Business plans are common where I work when people go for promotions in different depts, etc…so, if you put together a solid business plan, showing perhaps what you will potentially do for the company’s bottom line if given the opporuntity, they may take a more serious look at your credentials. Good luck to you! Prayers are going out to you.:slight_smile:

I’m afraid that he will not give me an interview to allow me the chance to sell myself. I can do the job and he will not be sorry if he hired me, but I’m afraid I will not get the opportunity to sell myself.

I want to respond to his reply before the end of the day

Yes great question to ask is always where you can improve. Both my husband and my father are very upfront with this kind of situation. Just let them know you mean business and what do you need to do to get this, then start working on it. Many employers are glad to let you know what you lack that another can provide. I agree with the other poster too on the fact that they like confidence :thumbsup: I will pray for this opportunity for you.

Oh I see. Maybe put some bullet points together, in an email…or verbally express them to him. ‘I know I can do the job,’ is too vague, but if you have some specific things that you bring to the table to put in the form of an email–hopefully, that will help him see you can do the job. (maybe show an example of how you did the very same thing, and what it did to help your dept or company, within your prior employer–in an email) Also the outstanding work you have done presently at his company can go a long way as well!:slight_smile:

I’m assuming you are talking about replying to him through email?

Diosa25… You are right! experience is not recent experience… especially in the technology fields. If I got out of the computer field and took some time off I would be lost as things change very quickly in this field.

Have you done work in the interim that you CAN list as recent experience?

During your studies, did you do any lab or projects that relate to the experience needed?

Have you done volunteer work that requires some of the skills for this job?

Thank you for your thoughts. I replied via email yesterday before I left work. I don’t think I persuaded him much.:o

I am starting to get discouraged. I have not gotten even one interview since I finished my degree. At least if I get interviewed I feel like I must look interesting. I was applying for a position in purchasing - and I have 8+ years experience in purchasing…has that field changed so much???

I have always worked, but I was senior management at a company and now I suppose I have to prove myself all over again. Which I have done, but there is no career path in my department. I will not get any better job as long as I stay in this department. Even though my manager gave me the best evaluation I have ever received recently - there is just no where to go with him.

Maybe you can read what I replied and give me some thoughts on how I could handle that situation next time??? please…

Thanks for getting back with me, and I do appreciate that you will review my resume. As I continue on my career path, I realize that different experiences actually help to broaden, and even strengthen my overall business knowledge. Please be assured that I am a quick study and a hard worker. My work ethic is what allowed me to receive an Exceeds Expectations rating on my most recent APEX evaluation.

Please be assured that I do have solid purchasing experience from my previous employer. I hope that my recent years working at xcompany is not seen as a gap in my experience. While my time at xcompany has given me a different type of experience, it is still valuable experience. I am looking to build on my xcompany experience and sourcing is a direction I would like to go.

I look forward to an interview to discuss my strengths and any concerns that you may have.

What do you think I should have said differently??

I think that you wrote a very nice email.

Eight years is a lifetime in any field. While the fundamental concepts of purchasing may not change, many companies are embracing new software technologies for purchasing and financial analysis, using Six Sigma, and deploying the latest innovations in supply chain management.

So, yes, your skills could be out of date.

Sometimes you can hire people with the expectation of training them on what they do not know, and sometimes you need someone who can hit the ground running. Maybe he needs the latter right now.

You might want to look at the Institute for Supply Management, American Purchasing Society, or Association for Operations Management.

If you are serious about returning to the field, each of these has professional certifications available-- likely via a study course and exam process. Having a recent certification might compensate for your gap in the field.

I would ask what specific skills you need to return to this field.

One bit of advice - try to speak with a bit more authority. The idea in your resume, cover letter and interviews is to SELL that person on the idea that hiring you will make them look good. That you are the best asset for the company.

While you seem very polite, it could be read as sort of saying “please hire me”.

Show what you have done, brag, and always show how you have saved money or increased profit.

Phrases like:

As Unit Director, successfully managed annual purchasing budget of 150,000 resulting in a 24% decrease in OpEx between 2002 - 2005.

You might want to look at the Institute for Supply Management, American Purchasing Society, or Association for Operations Management.

I have thought about these types of certifications, because the training that is offered at our company will not help me. Its too broad - like team building and topics like that.

Thanks for your responses.

Terri

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.