Job Shadowing

Does anybody know of any programs where I could job shadow a priest, or spend time in a monastery to see what its like.

Most monasteries have “Come and See” type observational retreats. Just check the website(s) of where you may wish to visit.

If you’re interested in being a Religious Priest, the various orders have similar types of opportunities as well.

If you happen to be 13-18 years of age, see if your (Arch)Diocese offers a Quo Vadis Days experience for youth. If you are older, simply talk to the vocational director to see what they can offer you.

Oh, and this may go without saying, your Priest is obviously an invaluable resource in this matter, huh?

[quote="Anian, post:1, topic:205315"]
Does anybody know of any programs where I could job shadow a priest, or spend time in a monastery to see what its like.

[/quote]

You know it's sad that you have to ask for help to find out about opportunities like this. With the lack of new vocations to the priesthood, it would make sense that such opportunities should be common knowledge doesn't it? Our diocesan vocation directors could do more to get the word out I would think.

Most religious orders have a type of aspirancy where you could do a “Come and See” and/or a live-in to get to know the members and see what their life is like. I’m discerning with 3 Dominican religious orders and 2 of them require a live-in before you can apply to the postulancy.

As for the priesthood, I guess it would depend on the priest and/or the diocese. I would ask a priest that you know for advice and see what he says on the fact. :slight_smile:

You could try: daily-word-of-life.com/Monastery.htm

Good luck, and please keep us posted :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.