Job yet again

2nd Sept. is the end of my current employment. They have already betrayed that they want to give me another period - it popped up when I asked for a bit of leave so that I could study for attorney training entry exam (here you need to pass an exam to become a trainee attorney after graduating from university and training takes 3.5 years before bar exam). I am suspecting that they will offer me completely unchanged conditions like they did the last time, no matter what they told me about raises when signing the first one. As for assignments they give me, they tell me how important they are when I get them, but then the same assignments are suddenly collateral, mundane and not enabling assessment of me as a worker when it comes to it. Since I’ve seen this law firm lie in court letters, I can’t really force myself to give them the benefit of doubt here. Also, work conditions and general disrespect have worsened to the point that when I made an unconventional move that possibly prevented the firm and the client from being issued an anti-suit injunction in a 6 billion dollar suit, the boss said publicly that I did truly well for the first time ever. The 12-13 hour days, which had stopped for a while, are returning, and the work isn’t about writing motions but it’s mostly paper work they could hire someone (more people) to do. I can’t take any more of it, but all the law firms where I’ve sent my resume are ignoring me. No reply whatsoever, not even a “thank you, but no”. I would drop this job on the spot and tell them exactly why I’m doing it, if only I had another in sight, but nothing. I’m going to have to talk to them about the new contract and I don’t really know what to do. I must tell them some things, but I don’t know how much, since if I said this all, how would I look signing another contract with them?

Every day or rather night I come home, I’m dead, I can’t study for the professional exam or write anything for my Ph.D. course and yet they would give me more and more work, to the point I can’t or can barely have 8 hours for sleep before coming back, this already after downright refusing some assignments. I can’t keep up and I don’t want to give away all my time in my 26th year of life like this.

So far I’ve decided to talk to them, tell them what I think about the tasks and the way they talk to me or go about the assessment, and contradict every lie and call them on every inconsistency, even if it’s going to make me unemployed. But I won’t make it easier on them by walking out. I’ll stay and see what they do to this. Another decision is to refuse to sign another contract if they don’t guarantee even that little leave and an uninterrupted one, since the exam matters more to me than the current job. And since my exam doesn’t matter to them, they matter to me all the less. But this is going to get me in trouble as nearly no firms talk back to me no matter what.

If you wouldn’t mind a short prayer during these days, I would be grateful. One of these days I will have to talk to the boss.

You got it :gopray2: St Thomas More, pray for us. St Joseph the Worker, pray for us.

+JMJTJ+

Joining in prayer for your needs.

***Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen

Holy Spirit please give Your inspiration and guidance to Chevalier in dealing with these oppressive work conditions. Help Chevalier to clearly see what should be done and said, what choices should be made to promote a wholesome life.

Holy Spirit please open the minds and spirits of those who oppress Chevalier [and similarly others in their employment and the workplace] Holy Spirit You know I’m well aware of the consequences of such a life as my ultra-conscientious husband ended up with stress-breakdown and has never recovered. Please deflect this valuable person…and others…from such consequences, which include relationship challenge as well as loss of quality of life.

Chevalier as I’ve mentioned before, Pope John the 23rd used to send his angel ahead to negociate with difficult people. Maybe you could check out that possibility…but you are a precious person and to be treated as you are…for anyone to be treated as you are…is a potential murder of your well-being. God flood Your merciful care upon all these hardworking beleagured people.

Praying for you, as one who empathizes (have started a couple prayer threads of my own on this sort of topic, and am still seeking employment).

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

I will be praying for you.

Please know that I am praying for you and a most positive outcome

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thy
Blessed are you amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary Mother of God
Pray for our sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

Prayers promised

Praying very hard for your success!

Praying for you.

God bless,
Ut

P.S. Have you thought of applying to firms in another city? For example, in Toronto, lawyers usually work 80 hour work weeks, but where I live, it is much closer to a 50 hours. The salaries reflect this, but in my opinion, no amount of money is worth an 80 hour work week which is what they seem to be laying on your shoulders.

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thank you, everyone. :slight_smile: For prayers and for your kind support as well. :slight_smile:

…On Friday, I had the biggest clash I’ve ever had in my short work experience. It pretty much prevented me from doing anything productive over the weekend or even sleeping right. But I asked God to let His will happen - not mine, not theirs - with regard to that clash, to my much needed and desired leave, and to my next contract.

I was surprised how it turned out. The same person explained things to me constructively, putting genuine effort into it, and actually smiling in the end.

The application for leave got simply signed. I was jaw-dropped. No obstacles, no mention of having to keep an eye on the courts, nothing.

Don’t know about the next contract, other than it needs to be signed, they’re willing but not taking for granted that I’ll sign it. Don’t know about the conditions.

I’m still decided to change the job - for survival reasons and because I can’t be happy in it, but this has been so good today.

This is the capital city, so it has the best salaries. The difference between salaries is much higher than the difference between the costs of living… And those would increase if I were to move and live in a different city, also far from everyone I know and my university where I still try to make a Ph.D. I know a guy who owns a law firm in a smaller city (he’s also working on a Ph.D. here, that’s how I met him), though, maybe I could write things for him and work via the Internet or work with some clients that would wind up here.

I’ve honestly been thinking about changing my line of work at this point. I wasn’t that bad teaching Latin or English… Done a lot of translations, as well. I make nice websites too (always been into IT). I often like those much more than I do law jobs, but I have no degree there. I’m more and more inclined to think about a modest income achieved by reasonable work hours and allowing unpaid academic activity (I pay tuition, I don’t have a scholarship or any grants… for now I don’t have any time, either).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.