Joe Biden: ‘Dregs of society’ support Donald Trump

Do they not learn?

I would hope this is a misquote.

This is shameful, to speak of a large portion of the population this way. It is bad

enough the denigrate one person simply in defense of your cause.

what an arrogant elitist!

He is right.

“They’re a small percentage of the American people, virulent people,” he continued. “Some of them the dregs of society. And instead of using the full might of the executive branch to secure justice, dignity [and] safety for all, the president uses the White House as a literal, literal bully pulpit, callously exerting his power over those who have little or none.”

A small percentage.
And the Trump fans would like to pretend that this is a swipe against them rather than that “small percentage”.
It is baloney and they know it. But a small percentage gets excited about this.

Always good to see the context.

So the different is small percentage versus half:

???

Half of Trump voters is about 12% of the voting age population of America and 9% of the population of America That is a small percentage.

So when Hillary says “half of Trump voters are deplorables” that’s the same, math wise, as Biden’s “small percentage of Trump voters are dregs of society”?

Because that worked so well for HRC:

I regret saying ‘half’ — that was wrong

Hillary Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook acknowledged the former secretary of state calling half of Donald Trump’s supporters “deplorables” alienated voters

She apologized, to be sure, but no-one will believe her:

Let’s get straight to it: Hillary Clinton’s comments Friday at a fund-raiser that half of Donald Trump’s supporters could be put in a “basket of deplorables” wasn’t a smart political play.
Candidates do themselves a tremendous disservice when they attack voters rather than campaigns. Whatever advantage is procured through the rallying of one’s own base is outweighed by what will be read as divisiveness and disdain.

Whenever you says things that lend themselves to easy distortion by your opponents, that is a bad move politically.

I’m confused. I thought the Democrats claimed to be the party that supports the lowliest of peoples? I thought they were the party that has the compassion to help the untouchable caste? I guess Biden forgot the script.

You may be confusing people of low estate with people of low character.

If you go by the assessment of Trump supporters by liberals on CAF, it’s a whole lot more than half.
But maybe they’re just more vocal in their condemnation than Biden, or even Obama with his “bitter clingers”. But Obama never quantified who he disparaged.

Please link to posts, if there are any, that support that conclusion.

No point. I think those who have felt the brunt of it know it. Those who inflict it probably think it’s righteous to do it

I think that there is no real support for this idea, that defames those that you idiosyncratically label “liberals on CAF”.

Those on the receiving end know it.

Yes. And I think what really got her in trouble is that she gave the appearance of judging “them” instead of their “behavior”. She left herself wide open to being called arrogant/condescending/holier than thou (whatever you want to call it).

It looks like Biden is going down that same path. He did narrow it down to “small percentage” rather than “half”. Looks like he was trying to cover his self on that. But didn’t he learn from Hillary that the judging language engerizes the opposition more that his base?

Know “it”? Sounds like the start of dissembling.

Your premise was that “[i]f you go by the assessment of Trump supporters by liberals on CAF, it’s a whole lot more than half”. Although “it” is again vague, the context is “small percentage of the American people” that Biden described more fully in his remarks.

Not withstanding your feelings, there is objective no support for your defamatory remark.
But I am curious, when you feel that you are on the receiving, how do you “know” what fraction of Trumps voters (~9% of the population) are implicated?

Perhaps. But when I see Trump supporters seeking to include themselves under the banner of “deplorables”, I ask if they are racist, sexist, homophobic, or Islamophobic.

That’s hyperbole to show their dissatisfaction with being judged and looked down upon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.