Joe Pesci and the Pope

Remember when Sineade O’connor ripped up the picture of Pope JPII on SNL in some lame protest attempt? Then the next week Joe Pesci held that picture up, taped back together, and defended the Pope? I do, that was a really cool thing.

Does anyone have a copy of the video clip of that, or know where I can get it? I tried you tube, no luck.

Thanks!

I couldn’t find the video clip, but I did find a news article detailing the event:

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE7D6113DF931A25753C1A964958260

It’s nice to see that there are still some good Catholics in Hollywood…

Joe Pesci…The next Bill Donohue? haha

That is awesome.

I wouldn’t want to mess with Joe Pesci, he’s been in too many mobster movies:thumbsup:

But he was also outsmarted by a 10 year old in the Home Alone movies.:slight_smile:

I’ve always liked Joe Pesci (my father has made me sit through many mobster movies) and it makes me smile to think that he defended our beloved Pope JPII after O’ Connor’s horrible and very lame protest statement. :slight_smile:

What impresses me the most is that he did it 15 years ago when it was very un-hip to do so. It made me very proud and happy to be catholic, even back then.

Oh my gosh! Didn’t you just love Joe P in My Cousin Vinny? One of my all time fav’s.

From the article:

The singer [O’Conner] said she was protesting religious oppression. Mr. Pesci said that if it had been his show, “I would have gave her such a smack.”

Way to go Mr. Pesci. :thumbsup:

I do not know if he is a good Catholic or not, but I will say he is at least respectful of a person deserving respect.

I bet Joe P. would have given her a good smack! Ever see what he does in those mob movies of his! :eek::smiley:

Smack? More like a ‘whack’.

I hope not, I love Joe Pesci.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.