Joel Osteen Radio

I know there is a general distrust of guys like Pastor Osteen, however, I find that I benefit a lot from listening to his talks. They just started up Joel Osteen Radio on SiriusXM and I have been listening and I think there is a lot a Catholic can take from Mr. Osteen.

Now, of course, he isn’t Catholic and at times he’s going to say things that don’t jive with our faith but his very positive motivational style and how he works the bible into solving everyday problems is something that I have enjoyed.

Now, like I said, you have to be able to tune out the stuff that doesn’t work for Catholics but I’m one who believes that Catholics can learna thing or two from our non-Catholic Christian brothers and sisters. I don’t find any shame in borrowing from other faiths so long as it doesn’t offend my Catholic faith.

What say you?

In my opinion, Joel Osteen is the definition of a fake preacher in that while yes his message can be positive and extremely motivational, he just has this aura of having a fake smile, while making millions of dollars on other people’s beliefs. I’ve watched his show a couple times though, and I would be willing to listen to his radio show. But I particulary didn’t like his one speech about how “Jesus wants you to be rich” in a money/physical sense. Jesus cares not about money.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that he comes of less “fake” on his live radio show. I don’t know if he is being fake on TV or if he just comes off that way on TV but on the radio it seems more real.

Yes, like I said, at times he will say things I don’t agree with but I’ve come across preists and sisters that do that as well.

I think, for me, I just take what is useful from him regardless of his intentions. Whether fake or real some of the stuff he talks about is really good stuff. I just wouldn’t buy into him as a person, that’s all.

Several years ago I watched a talk show in which he & his wife were being interviewed about their ministry. Sorry, I do not recall the name of the show. The man never uttered a word, his wife did all the talking. That told me volumes about Mr. Olsteen.:rolleyes:

I don’t know. His “prosperity gospel” seems like the definition of a “false gospel.” St. Paul had a little different take than you on those who preach “false gospels”

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! (Galatians 1:8)

Don’t you think his message is more or less modern pop-psychology dressed up in (semi) religious clothes? I stay away from him.

By the way, do you ever read the blog “Shameless Popery?” The author has a post on Osteen that you might find interesting: catholicdefense.blogspot.com/2014/09/joel-osteen-judas-iscariot-and.html

“Heretic” is not too strong of a word to describe Joel Osteen. Nuff said.

themattwalshblog.com/2014/09/04/joel-osteen-wife-heretics-thats-america-loves/

IDK, when I listen to him most of the time he doesn’t sound like he is promoting a “prosperity gospel” so to speak.

Yes, I think he is much more of a motivational speaker that splashes a little religion on it than a full blown preacher. That’s why I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Like I said, I don’t believe in his version of Christianity but I think there are nuggets in some of what he sayst that Catholics can use.

Granted, I’m pretty well versed on Catholic Faith so I know what is and isn’t compatible so I’m able to parse things out.

Again, I’m not listening to be a believer in his Church. I think ther are bits of interesting things he says or bible references that he makes more obviously relevant in his talks. That’s as far as it goes for me. I don’t take anything he says as being an example of what to believe (have a bible and catechism for that).

So you listen to a bunch of gobbledygook to find bits? Why don’t you just find a plain old motivational speaker that does not pretend or better yet read or listen to Anthony Destefano a Catholic motivational speaker true to Scripture and the Catholic Church.

anthonydestefano.com/

I listen to many different programs, some Catholic and some not.

I think you are wrong if you think you can’t learn something from other Christians.

It’s not like I sit here for hours listen the Joel Osteen, it is just something I’ve flipped to when nothing else interesting is on. I listen the Catholic Channel, EWTN and Relevant Radio, plus various Catholic podcasts. I don’t listen to any particular one all the time, just check and see what they are talking about at various times, sometimes all the Catholic channels have something on that doesn’t interest me, so I will listen to Osteen for a while.

I suppose pretty soon you’re going to say that I’m not Catholic or need to go confess this…lol. :shrug:

I have essentially no exposure to Olsteen (other than from the links in this thread). However, I’ve listened to other contemporary televangelists because their shows are often on the television at the gym. (people don’t tune in to them, the televangelists come on after The View.) Televangelists frustrate me, because there’s never any There, There.

That being said, I think you’d be hard pressed to find much of value in what he’s saying that you wouldn’t get from any other motivational speaker or self-help book.

Which is to say, you may as well listen to him if you feel like it. :shrug:

Sure, I wasn’t saying you couldn’t get elsewhere just that I didn’t think there is anything wrong with listening to him. So long as you keep in mind that he’s not always going to be comptible with Catholicism. Also, you will probably find things in non-religious speakers that are not compatible with Catholicism as well.

My point is that if we’re going to be like this we will be left with only listening to Catholic radio, Catholic TV …ect and nothing else.

I too will listen to Joel Osteen at times. I enjoy a few different Christian radio programs that I can listen to in my area. I do wish that we can a Catholic station and would certainly prefer one if we did. Btw, I really enjoy Dr. Jay Vernon Mcgee, an old time preacher, I could listen to him for ages.

The only problem I have with your post is at the end where you said something along the lines of, “we borrow from them.” The way I see it, is that if it is the truth, then they borrow from us.

I’m not talking about theology. When I say borrow, I mean the way he tells a story to make the bible seem more relevant. It’s more about how he/they can tell a story based on something from the bible to make people think about the subject differently.

The way I see it, if we’re talking theology all other Christians are off shoots of our church and thus are borrowing from us pretty heavily.

What I’m getting out of it is more the method of messaging and some of the biblical nuggets. Whether you like him or not he does have a talent for using story to commincate many of the basic universal teachings christians of all stripes generally agree on.

Sure, sometimes he might come off as focusing a little to much on how to improve your self and not enough on praising God and repenting sins but I get plenty of that with the Catholic programs I listen to and in Mass on Sundays.

Joel Osteen is not a heretic. He just practices a different brand of Christianity. Actually, most of what he preaches are good rules for living. I don’t mean just following the Ten Commandments. He a lot of good advise about handling day to day problems.
A little background. It was his father who was the minister. He used to produce the TV shows. His father died suddenly and he took over the position. Most people, including clergy are actually jealous of him more than anything else. A few months ago they had a theft of their weekend collection which amounted to $600,000. That was one weekend. Most clergy would be happy to see that in a whole year. People who go to his church or support it are not interesting in being harassed about how sinful they are. They want to hear the good news, so to speak. I am sure that his followers are just as charitable, kind and law abiding as any who go to other churches.

I forgot about that theft. Did they find out who took all the money?

I don’t care for Joel O’Steen, but there are so many people that attend his church that he must be filling some spiritual need they have. I have never seen an entire service. He does seem more like a motivational preacher and I think he likes prosperity.
He has written many books none of which I have read.
His radio show will no doubt be a success.

I have read two of his books, you could easily take out the scripture quoutes and religious stuff and it would be a motivational/self help type of book.

I have found though, that if you’ve read one of his books you’ve read them all.

I use to be in the WoF stuff before becoming Catholic. When I attended w WoF Church back in the 80’s, it was his father John Osteen who was one of the big names in that movement. He has since passed away and now his son Joel has taken his place at that church and ministry. I understand his appeal, he has a positive upbeat message. He seems like a nice smiley guy and presents Christianity that way. I would image that the upbeat message is what is appealing to you. I liken Joel to cotton candy, a lot of sweet fluff but no substance. There is no depth to his teaching or theology. He presents God as one big happy Santa Claus type of guy who has a bag full of goodies for you, all you have to do is claim it. There was a recent video with Victoria Osteen which made the buzz because she claims in it that God’s plan is for you to be happy. There is so more and better Catholic material to read, learn and listen too that I am not sure why bother listening to cotton candy. After all, too much cotton candy is going to make you sick.

I listened to about 45 minutes of one of Osteen’s messages on XM Radio.

It really is all about how you can receive Earthly rewards in exchange for believing in God.

A woman lost her wedding ring. She gave up searching for it. That night, she handed the situation over to God. A day or two later, she found her ring. Therefore, God rewarded her for believing in him.

Sorry. That doesn’t wash with me. God doesn’t work that way. At least, as a Catholic, I don’t believe God works that way.

Osteen’s message, over and over and over again: hand your life over to God and you shall prosper and achieve whatever you want–but “whatever you want” isn’t based on spiritual growth, or closeness with God through service to others–but is based on implied wealth, happiness, wealth, success, wealth,…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.