Joel Osteen

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows a priest like Joel Osteen around Sun Valley, CA area??? Thanks

What exactly do you mean like Joel Olsteen?

M

Joel Osteen is a Protestant Evangelical to my knowledge. He is often found on TV. (from Houston, TX) If this is who you are referring to... he is a upbeat, prosperity type preacher in my opinion.

mlz

Why would you want a priest to be like Joel Osteen? Shouldn’t a priest be like Jesus Christ?

[quote="Cara_Serrano, post:4, topic:247712"]
Why would you want a priest to be like Joel Osteen? Shouldn't a priest be like Jesus Christ?

[/quote]

Right on Cara Serrano thay is exactly what I was thinking. We need more priest who will be like Jesus Christ we don't need anymore Joel Osteens I mean really We already have enough preachers on Television that preach the false gospel of prosperity

Jeol Oslteen represents the prosperity theology line of something, not Christian. The mere fact he pushes this agenda should discredit him automatically. However, I know many Catholics, mostly unfaithful, that buy into this fake religion. I pray that you never find a priest like him. And if you do, turn him into the bishop immediately so that he can be stripped of his office.

Joel Osteen is not a priest, so my guess would be, no.

Saw him just now. Yep. But between the National Debt Crisis and Joel Olseen, the National Debt won out.

Maybe Joel Osteen could fix the National debt with his "Prosperity Theology" and leave true theology to Catholic Church.

[quote="Cara_Serrano, post:9, topic:247712"]
Maybe Joel Osteen could fix the National debt with his "Prosperity Theology" and leave true theology to Catholic Church.

[/quote]

Don't worry, Joel Osteen has nothing to do with true theology. And his father would be horrified at the direction his son has taken the Lakewood Church.

And he's not concerned with the national debt, either, except as it affects the contributions to the Church of Joel Osteen and Company.

:mad:

[quote="jimmybg, post:1, topic:247712"]
Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows a priest like Joel Osteen around Sun Valley, CA area??? Thanks

[/quote]

If there is such a person, he is heretical, because Joel Osteen has nothing to do with the Catholic Church.

[quote="Cara_Serrano, post:9, topic:247712"]

[/quote]

Maybe. ;) But it would be at the expense of dragging how many Catholics away from the Church and placing impediments in front of those that might otherwise recognize the true gospel.:shrug:

I went to a mega non-denominational Bible Church for about 6 months during our transition from Church of Christ to Catholic. We were shocked by the poverty of their teaching, beliefs. I also noticed at significant Catholic presence - somewhere between 20% and 30%. I watched them sign themselves. I know from my studies that around 40% of Catholics have flocked to such ecclesial communities in favor over the Eucharist. Those folks believe and teach - proselytize - that we don't have to do anything to be saved. Despite the "RONCO" sales pitch style preaching that actually works in the arena of marketing, insurance salesmen, used car salesmen, high pressure marketing styles as well as deceitful sales practices that "smooth over" discrepancies.

[quote="thequeen, post:5, topic:247712"]
Right on Cara Serrano thay is exactly what I was thinking. We need more priest who will be like Jesus Christ we don't need anymore Joel Osteens I mean really We already have enough preachers on Television that preach the false gospel of prosperity

[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing!!! He does not only preach the false gospel of prosperity, but he does not preach on sin, I mean who in their right mind would want to follow a preacher that tells us we are sinners!:D

He is good in convincing people and we need priests to do the same.

[quote="jsaldar, post:14, topic:247712"]

[/quote]

Convincing people of or to do what may I ask?

I think what the person that started this thread might be asking is if anyone would know a more charismatic priest who is upbeat in the area he mentioned. It wasn’t what we think of Joel Osteen. Although I’m not a fan of prosperity preaching I believe he is still a brother in Christ and needs our love and prayers.

mlz

The OP is probably Joel Olsteen taking a litmus of Catholic culture to see if we are open to his big book and puffy hair. [Max Lucado used this term visitin him in San Antonio when we were "looking for a church home" in 1994]

Its tough when a preacher talks only sweetness and apple pie! I dont see where he preaches what happens when you fall short. Satan has a stronghold here in this world and all need to know it!

He is a false teacher and the ones who follow him have itching ears. His “preaching” is like honey for their itching ears.

I pray for all people deluded by false teachings.

[quote="jsaldar, post:14, topic:247712"]

[/quote]

Its not a priest's job to be "convincing".

A priest's job is to teach the Faith, preach the Gospel, and celebrate the Sacraments.

The "convincing" people would be the job of an apologist.

While some priests may be apologists, not all are as that is not what their job is nor where their training is.

As for Joel Osteen and his prosperity message, it is easy to convince people when you tell them what they want to hear.

My view of the priesthood is that they (God willing, someday that will be we) are called to tell people what they do not want to hear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.