Joel Osteen

What do you think… as a Catholic, is it harmful to watch Protestant services like those of Joel Osteen?

joelosteen.com/Broadcast/Pages/ThisWeeksMessage.aspx

I’m in RCIA right now… do you think this would be harmful to my education?

God bless all!

Honestly, be very careful. He is known to preach a Gospel of Prosperity. Many mainline Protestants do not agree with his teachings. If I were you, I would merely stick to the RCIA material and focus on the Catholic faith and doctrine. Do not get your head all mixed up with Catholic teachings and Joel Olsteen.

I think as a Protestant it could be harmful to watch him on TV! :eek:

JOEL OSTEEN:eek:??!?!
Let me put it this way - Joel Osteen is not healthy. Like eating hot dogs full of filler, by-products, raccoon claws, wolverine innards, you name it.
Joel Osteen is one of those prosperity gospel goofs if I remember rightly. If you want to read good Protestant authors, read John Wesley, Karl Barth, Billy Graham, John Bunyan, Jonathan Edwards, good grief.
But the question must be asked…why bother with Joel Osteen when you have 2000 years of rich Catholic history and all of its saints to read?
I just came through RCIA, and I would say that it’s incredibly important during the formative years to stay as close to orthodoxy as possible, especially if you are easily shaken. I’m speaking from experience.
God bless on your journey:thumbsup:

I agree. Avoid Joel Osteen like the plague! He definitely teaches a Prosperity/‘Feel-Good’ gospel that is very dangerous, especially to a new Christian! Like theidler said, the Catholic Church has 2000 years of writings by various saints, many of whom were absolutely brilliant (St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Francis, just to name a few). Also, as to watching services on TV, its really not a good habit to get into, trust me. I went through a phase where watching TV preachers was ‘going to church’ for me. Honestly, nothing compares to the Mass. :slight_smile:

In short - Yes I think it would be harmful to listen to any non-catholic services, preachers, ministers, teachers etc…
Avoid confusion…For now…stick with Catholic teachers.

Try Father Barron

Peace
James

I agree with the others- don’t watch. I’ve caught parts of his programs before and he just rubs me the wrong way…

As a Lutheran, I think its harmful, whether your in RCIA or not. :wink:

EDIT: Just to add, I think if you are in RCIA, I agree with James that it is best to narrow your focus on just that.

Jon

I’m going to throw my two cents in: As an Evangelical, Protestant, Pentecostal Christian coming into the Catholic Church, I am personally disgusted by Joel Osteen’s message… I’ll put it this way (My opinion): Mainline Protestantism is ROCK SOLID in comparison to Joel Osteen’s Gospel message…

Something seems a bit theatrical about his sermons.

I would second that. Until you are spiritually mature, so to speak, wait until you grounded in your faith, then branch out and read other non-Catholic writings. I have found some Protestant writings to be some of the best, and very helpful for strengthening my faith life. Our brothers and sisters in the Eastern Orthodox have some of best, deepest, and most profound spiritual writing out there.
But for now, stick to the basics, and stick to the Catholics. Fr. Barron is great, and everyone raves about Scott Hahn (I’m not huge on the guy myself, but he is good). Peter Kreeft is a great writer too. And if you have been at all taught some of Osteen’s prosperity gospel stuff, read the Little Flowers of St. Francis or the Life of St. Anthony by St. Athanasius to quickly cure your mind and heart of it. :wink:

If you are going through RCIA currently, I believe it would be easier to stick to the materials at hand and keep your focus there as that is what you are studying and how you are personally growing.

Regarding Joel Olsteen: in general, he can be very uplifting, has a true belief in our Lord and shares the word of our Lord to many who are unable to get out or go to church and have no access to televised Catholic channels(and are possibly in need of someone uplifting their spirits) yes, his focus is on prospering, but our Lord never said we are here only to suffer. Our Lord is a giving and good Lord. Yes, our lives and those of many saints are filled with sufferings, but that is not all He has planned for us and many people suffering so much today who don’t know the Lord the way we do are in need of learning the good and happiness He wants us to obtain. Scripture says, He will withhold no good thing.

However, going through RCIA - I would avoid any confusion at this time as you probably have more than enough to study and ponder as is … :slight_smile:

Me too.

Solid catholic teaching is much better than the prosperity gospel that Joel Osteen teaches

Yeah…how much of the Lord’s work could have been done with what his “church” paid for that silly giant spinning globe? However, he’s not the worst. I caught a “preacher” on tv once while channel surfing that had a Bentley on stage with him.

I think that there is no harm in observing any of these Protestants…Joel is not as good as his father. I liked his father better. Joel you know is not ministry trained…Listen to his dad and compare and contrast with his son…

youtube.com/watch?v=1kjwXjNHST0

I used to like Reverend Ike when I was young…he was the early health and wealth guy…

revike.org/

youtube.com/watch?v=lE-dXg5fChI

I like Charles Stanley…he is easy to listen to…

youtube.com/watch?v=CjilgJPjTNA

You ought to watch Kathryn Kuhlman…this is the person that Benny Hinn, Oral Roberts and the like hold in high esteem…

youtube.com/watch?v=mre2egig3Mc

Check out Billy Sunday…

youtube.com/watch?v=rVZ-J3c8_AY

Aimee Semple McPherson was one of the first megachurch builders…she was gonna Protestanize the world…

youtube.com/watch?v=ekQqSmIykRo&feature=fvwrel

this is the website of Angelus temple today…the fate of the megachurches of today…you probably never heard of matthew barnett…

angelustemple.org/

One of the best and for a compare and contrast would be Fulton Sheen…after you amuse yourself with all of the above…check out fulton sheen and watch every one of his videos to see what a Catholic Preacher can do…

youtube.com/watch?v=VX2NZTcqreY

The only safe way to watch these guys is if you are laughing at them. Look carefully at Osteens stage; not a single Christian symbol any where.

Be sure and send him lots of $$$$$ because God will reward you 10 times over.:smiley:

Does he teach the law of the seed based on the windows of heaven from Malachi too…I thought only Murdoc did that…:eek:

Know this verse from Malachi…I hear it over and over again as a reason to send money to Mike Murdoc and every other preacher asking for money…

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts,** if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, **that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

Mike Murdoc says that if you give and don’t expect a blessing that he has a special song for you…sung to the tune of How great tho art…and it goes…

How dumb thou art…How dumb thou art…

Thank you everybody for your input!!! I think you’re probably right… I will steer clear of Joel Osteen for now. Thanks for helping me make this decision!!!

Take care & God bless
Sarah

No problem Sarah - God bless you in your RCIA journey!!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.