Joel Osteen?

Im curious as to what other Catholics think about Joel Osteen. Im sure hes a good person and all but the community Im in loves him. They even quote his bible prayer everyday. ( At the moment im in a Christian program - however, it is a pentecostal Christian program. < I don’t want to say anything bad about it because it was a stepping stone that reconnected me with God. However, it also reconnected me with my Catholic Faith < Their ways opened my eyes to see what was true and what is false. They seem to idolize these millionaire pastors who profit from the word, but denounce the priests and nuns who live only for God - don’t indulge in worldly pleasures (Note: of course there are corruptions in every faith) But the “real” preists and nuns who made a solemn vow to the Lord and aren’t paid millions of dollars.

He tells people what they want to hear. Makes people feel good about themselves. Personally, I think his style is dangerous for those souls who entrust him with their salvation

Most priests and religious aren’t even paid thousands of dollars. This past week there have been episodes of The Vortex where Michael Voris describes a bit of what goes on behind the scenes at churchmilitant.tv. The people who work there are not religious, but they don’t get paid very much. They have a staff of about 20, who work there to make a living, but more so because they understand the sorry shape our Church is in and want to do whatever they can to teach the faith to those who subscribe to their website. Churchmilitant.tv

His father was one of the creator’s of the Prosperity Gospel and he maintains that doctrine. It’s a man made ant biblical idea that if your a good Christisn God will bless you with wealth.

He is one of those feel good surfacy pastors who promoted a sort of easy Peasy Christianity that may introduce people to the faith like you, but 95% will never make a radical life change we are called to. It fosters selfish attitudes contrary to Christianity snd as such I am afraid many souls could potentially be lost.

I would stay away.

Ross Dougarth’s book “Bad Religion; How we became a nation of heretics” may help you with this issue.

Joel Osteen is not a true sheperd of Christ. Osteen preaches about material possessions (visualizing it in your head and you will receive it). These are not the teachings of Christ. This is from the New Age Christianity which is a cult. Jesus taught us that we must deny ourselves and pick up our Cross. Osteen preaches about feeling good about ourselves. Christ taught us that we would suffer as Christians. Christ taught us to humble ourselves and serve others, not ourselves.

Matthew 7:15
“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

I like him. Seems like a nice guy who loves Jesus.

Preachers who do not talk about picking up our cross and following Jesus are not telling the whole truth.

Where this came from was a preacher named E.W.Kenyon, who died about 65 years ago. He saw so many people leaving traditional Christian communities and gravitating to the cults that taught about healings, miracles, etc. He began to study Christian Science, as founded by Mary Baker Eddy, took many of her teachings and “baptized” them by taking biblical verses out of context, purporting that he was teaching some " forgotten" ancient Christian doctrine. It eventually caught people’s attention, especially some young preachers like Oral Roberts, Kenneth Hagin, and others. So what it is is Christian Science reworked to appear like real ancient Christianity which it is not. I heard a tongue in cheek definition of Christian Science which goes like this: Christian Science is like Grape Nuts which is neither “Grape” nor “Nuts.” Christian Science is neither “Christian” nor “Science”!:):slight_smile:

Caveat: I know little about Joel Osteen, apart from what is in this thread.

I recommend that you continue to be grateful to him for what you have gained from his ministry, while, of course, you deepen your faith with the sacraments and fullness of faith in the Catholic Church.

I was brought back to faith by a Protestant minister, and am always grateful for that. This particular minister was, however, an evangelical rather than a prosperity minister. I share some of the concerns expressed here about the Joel Osteen and the “Prosperity Gospel”. Still, if you had an encounter with Christ through it, then make the most of it.

He reminds me more of a motivational speaker than a minister. I’ve always been a little suspicious of tv evangelists. I do believe the Holy Spirit can use anyone, priest, nun, protestant minister, etc., to carry a message and bring you closer to God. The spark can come from anywhere, it’s what we choose to fan the flame with that will ultimately bring us to a deeper love and understanding of God. I didn’t get that spark from the Catholic church initially, it came from spiritual people I’ve met from different denominations and some not even particularly religious in the conventional sense. For me it was inspiring to witness that whatever they had was working for them but I still had so many gaps in my belief system that I couldn’t seem to get it. Catholicism seems to work for me on an intellectual level and that’s something I could never find anywhere else.

It’s unfortunately rare that I as a non-Catholic can wholeheartedly join in the consensus of posters on this site, so I figured I’d take advantage of the opportunity to express my profound agreement. I find it sad that Pastor Osteen is so unaccountably popular. It’s a tragic commentary on the state of the faith in contemporary (American) society.

CThomas

The Holy Spirit even used a donkey once to get a message through to the prophet Balaam

One thing that stands out to me as a “red flag” about Osteen is that when he preaches on his stage, behind him he has that big spinning globe of the world…icons of Christ or his Holy Cross are nowhere to be found in the building as far as I know.

LOL, now where is that in the Bible? I’ll have to look it up.

Numbers 22:21-38
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
21 So Balaam arose in the morning, and saddled his donkey and went with the leaders of Moab.

The Angel and Balaam

22 But God was angry because he was going, and the angel of the Lord took his stand in the way as an adversary against him. Now he was riding on his donkey and his two servants were with him. 23 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way with his drawn sword in his hand, the donkey turned off from the way and went into the field; but Balaam struck the donkey to turn her back into the way. 24 Then the angel of the Lord stood in a narrow path of the vineyards, with a wall on this side and a wall on that side. 25 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, she pressed herself to the wall and pressed Balaam’s foot against the wall, so he struck her again. 26 The angel of the Lord went further, and stood in a narrow place where there was no way to turn to the right hand or the left. 27 When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, she lay down under Balaam; so Balaam was angry and struck the donkey with his stick. 28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” 30 The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.”

31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way with his drawn sword in his hand; and he bowed [a]all the way to the ground. 32 The angel of the Lord said to him, “Why have you struck your donkey these three times? Behold, I have come out as an adversary, because your way was **contrary to me. 33 But the donkey saw me and turned aside from me these three times. If she had not turned aside from me, I would surely have killed you just now, and let her live.” 34 Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned, for I did not know that you were standing in the way against me. Now then, if it is displeasing to you, I will turn back.” 35 But the angel of the Lord said to Balaam, “Go with the men, but you shall speak only the word which I [c]tell you.” So Balaam went along with the leaders of Balak.

36 When Balak heard that Balaam was coming, he went out to meet him at the city of Moab, which is on the Arnon border, [d]at the extreme end of the border. 37 Then Balak said to Balaam, “Did I not urgently send to you to call you? Why did you not come to me? Am I really unable to honor you?” 38 So Balaam said to Balak, “Behold, I have come now to you! Am I able to speak anything at all? The word that God puts in my mouth, that I shall speak.”

EDIT: CAF does not like the KJV for its word for donkey…**

Firstly, I would simply like to comment that perhaps learning the Scriptures from those in error is not recommendable, and that you should find yourself an orthodox Catholic community. Secondly, Joel Osteen, from what I have seen (and I have seen a lot - family is all Protestant and goes googly-eyed for him and Joseph Prince :banghead: ), is just another prosperity preacher who makes his flock feel good about themselves by puffing up their sense of pride and feeding them New Age lies masked as the Gospel. Stay away from him, if you value your Faith.

No I guess they probably wouldn’t.

Thanks.

I think he has helped many people, if not with God, at least to have a better outlook on life.
I look at him as a stepping stone for those who are spiritually starving. He is feeding them pablem but then when they grow a little stronger, they may just look for some adult food.

I like him and his appeal has brought many to acknowledge Jesus, and that is something good. Otherwise, they might just continue to never even look at Jesus.

He has a lot of good suggestions about self emprovement and that God loves everyone. It isn’t the full deck but it is a start.

Many are not ready to become John the Baptists, but they are capable of wanting to start something good.

Besides he has a great smile, something we could all learn from.

Just some thoughts.

Ps. No, I’m not ready to join.

Here is a photo of the temple to Joel:

http://mommylife.net/archives/2008/08/11/olsteen-auditorium-screen-slide.jpg

It just really raises red flags to me when you see this many people surrounding a man. If he wasn’t there none of the people would be either. They go mainly for the preacher not for God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.