Joel Osteen?

Joel Osteen is the king of the new denominational churches among us, he now preaches in the Houston, TX compact center where the Rockets used to play basketball games, he pulls in thousands at a time for a chance to hear him speak. He travels to large cities like the Billy G revivals.

Not to take anything away from his ministry, but he is not an ordained minister, but he is a great motivational speaker? He does speak a christian message on how we should live our lives from a moral standpoint.

In my opinion he is a Disciple of Christ, sharing his testimony about his faith and his passion to preach a good message, I believe he has good purpose.

But didn’t Jesus set up Disciples and Apostles?

What is the difference between the two?

Wouldnt all preachers and Priest outside of the Church be just simply Disciples?

And the Catholic Church priesthood all the way up to the Pope since the time of Peter, the appostlic traditon?

I wouldn’t question anyone who is bringing people closer to God…BUT!

Is Joel Osteen doing that? I’ve looked at a couple of his books (just the synopsis) and it seems like Mr. Osteen preaches that God wants us to be financially successful. Is this true??? I really don’t see that message in any of the gospels. Matter of fact, I feel that runs contrary to what Jesus preaches.

Notworthy

He preaches what is called the “health and wealth Gospel” You can do a google search on it to find out more.

Spiritual Health and Wealth?
or
Material Health and Wealth?

Which God does he follow?

Notworthy

I’ve heard him referred to as the ‘smiling preacher’ on Larry King. He seems very personable and smiles a lot.

[quote=NotWorthy]Spiritual Health and Wealth?
or
Material Health and Wealth?

Which God does he follow?

Notworthy
[/quote]

Both spiritual and material. From what I understand he teaches that if you love God and invest in God both monetarily and spiritually, then God will reward you in kind.
I think it is along the same belief system that thinks any sickness is from the devil, and if you are homeless you did something to deserve to be. These people don’t believe in redemptive suffering.

You can’t preach both and follow Christ. Jesus talked numerous times about serving two masters. If your trying to achieve material wealth (even through spiritual means…no, no, especially through spiritual means), you have misread what Christ taught.

Why do people buy into this stuff???

Notworthy

To me…he is purely motivational. I watched him once on T.V. and he was basically teaching how to undo bad habits…eating right, exercising, stopping other habits such as smoking…all good. But not a lot of “God talk”…it was all on the basis of re-programing your brain and how you do such a thing…by making mental and physical notes, doing things differently on purpose and before you know it…those bad habits are gone. You are a perfected human being with no faults.

I see nothing bad here…I just would not put him at the same level of Billy Graham.

He gives me the heebies…I want to go up to him and toussel his hair, or offer him a cupcake

[quote=Elzee]I’ve heard him referred to as the ‘smiling preacher’ on Larry King. He seems very personable and smiles a lot.
[/quote]

Yeah, and he has a fancy stage, too! :smiley:

But is he bringing people closer to God… or is he bringing people closer to himself??? Or just their pocketbooks?

Notworthy

I think that in small doses he can be a help. He is very, very upbeat and positive. SOmetimes we all need that. There is also something to be said for trying to break free of a negative thought pattern.

But I think there would be a danger if you bought into the whole 'God wants you to be prosperous, just trust God and nothing bad will happen." theology. It has always angered me to hear Christians claim that God will protect them from all harm, even when they act in a stupid manner. I knew a woman once who refused to lock her front door because she said that God would keep her safe from harm.

Osteen reminds me of an overly eager car salesman.

[quote=Lillith].

I want to go up to him and toussel his hair, or offer him a cupcake
[/quote]

I do too. I want him to get dirty or look less well put together.

I live in Houston and saw the transformation of the Compaq center. I found it odd that blazooned on the side of the bldg. a huge sign Joel Osteen Ministries. I’m more used to seeing honorable people whom have passed away on blgds. such as St. Anne, St. George, etc.

Saw the Larry King interview and what bothered me by it is that when he was asked serious questions (doctrinal), his insistent reply was ‘I don’t know.’ Given the perfect opportunity to draw the line for thousands of his followers he doesn’t take it and simply leaves it up in the air. IMHO if he’s leading that many people, he should know.

On the other hand, people who need the pep talk and improve their lives and start a relationship with Christ via Osteen is a good thing.

in XT.

Hello John Paul III,

I would like to get to your question here. If I am remembering correctly, you are knew to the faith. Tell me if I am wrong here. :hmmm:

Anyway, your question was the difference between Apostles and Disciples. Disciples are followers of Christ. During his time on earth Jesus had many disciples or followers. As we see in John 6 many of them leave Jesus because of his hard teaching on the Eucharist. However, the Apostles were the 12 that followed him and were closest to him. (for a list see Acts 1:13 and also add in Judas Iscariot since he is not mentioned in this list because he had hung himself by this time) He gave these men special powers and authority. (for a great article on this with Biblical references go to newadvent.org/cathen/01626c.htm )

Now these powers and authority the Apostles passed on to their disciples and so on and so on until we get to today. Who are these men that still have the authority and powers given to the Apostles of Jesus? These men are the Bishops of the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches.

I hope this answers your question.

PS. I would hesitate to call Joel a disciple of Jesus as he subscribes to some major heresies in opposition to the Church founded by Christ. In other words he is in opposition to the teachings of the Apostles. :tsktsk: These heresies include *Faith Alone * and by Scripture Alone. I am not saying that he is not a Christian and does not love our Lord. But he has some issues he needs to work out.

When I hear Joel Osteen, among others of the “health & wealth” genre, I am reminded of the admonition against false teachers who will tickle the ears.
Unfortunately, my DH and DD are entranced with Osteen. :frowning:

[quote=John Paul III]Joel Osteen is the king of the new denominational churches among us, he now preaches in the Houston, TX compact center where the Rockets used to play basketball games, he pulls in thousands at a time for a chance to hear him speak. He travels to large cities like the Billy G revivals.

Not to take anything away from his ministry, but he is not an ordained minister, but he is a great motivational speaker? He does speak a christian message on how we should live our lives from a moral standpoint.

[/quote]

He is a prosperity teaching minister who really is more into self-help than God help. I’ve looked at his books and watched him on TV. He (like many others) teaches this false gospel of “believe it and you will receive it” and “you just have to pray harder” or “be a better person” and God will bless you materially.

I know saintly people who show their love for God on a daily basis and they aren’t filthy rich. So, I really take offense to Osteen’s message. It’s not only bad theology, it denigrates those who are living their best for God.

For years I watched my father-in-law swim through this kind of mess and he is just now coming around to more basic good theology that leaves all the self-help garbage out of his life. There’s nothing wrong with improving yourself, but everything is wrong when you use Scripture on which to base a false and destructive gospel. It has led people I know to lose faith and fall hard when they didn’t receive “all that God has to offer those who just have to believe and be healed and be wealthy like God wants them to be”.

Osteen is an ordained preacher. His father was the pastor of the church till he died. His son was ordained and became pastor at that point. For ordination, all one has to do is go through a process where the local congregation (along with elders/deacons) declares him to be ordained. You don’t necessarily have to go to a seminary to be ordained.

Peace…

Preaching a prosperity gospel is not friuitful. It brings many false conversions.There is more to the gospel message than feeling good. :eek: God Bless

Thanks, guys. For a while there, I thought I was the only one who thought this kind of thing was Wrong! Health and Wealth (in his packaged way) does not bring one closer to God. It brings one closer to theirself, which brings one further away from God.

Notworthy

[quote=John Paul III]Joel Osteen is the king of the new denominational churches among us, he now preaches in the Houston, TX compact center where the Rockets used to play basketball games, he pulls in thousands at a time for a chance to hear him speak. He travels to large cities like the Billy G revivals.

In my opinion he is a Disciple of Christ, sharing his testimony about his faith and his passion to preach a good message, I believe he has good purpose.

But didn’t Jesus set up Disciples and Apostles?

What is the difference between the two?

Wouldnt all preachers and Priest outside of the Church be just simply Disciples?

And the Catholic Church priesthood all the way up to the Pope since the time of Peter, the appostlic traditon?
[/quote]

Joel Osteen is laughing all the way to the bank. He is a mega-church mogul. He may be a motivational speaker and relatively sincere, but what he is selling I am not buying.

[quote=jim1130]Joel Osteen is laughing all the way to the bank. He is a mega-church mogul. He may be a motivational speaker and relatively sincere, but what he is selling I am not buying.
[/quote]

I watched one of his programs with my mom. He bragged on the fact that because he trusted GOd he was eventually able to buy a bigger house.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.