Joel Osteen?

What should be the Catholic attitude towards Joel Osteen?

[quote=mikeledes]What should be the Catholic attitude towards Joel Osteen?
[/quote]

Run for the hills and don’t look back! :smiley:

I think he’s overrated and just kind of boring. I’m sure he has a positive message for those looking, but I just wish they would look toward Rome…

[quote=mikeledes]What should be the Catholic attitude towards Joel Osteen?
[/quote]

As a baptized protestant Christian, he is a “separated brother.” So we should love him and pray for him. As a religious teacher, we should take what he says with a grain of salt. There are good protestant theologians who have good insights (though they should be read with caution). But Olsteen’s christianity is the shallow, conceited, mega-church kind that appeals to self centered, suburban, middle class yuppies.

Christianity which lacks a sense of intimacy with the divine is useless to me.

Personally, I think his message is a bunch of fluff with no substance, and i think that the health and wealth gospel that he preaches is dangerous.

However, I don’t find him to be anti-catholic as other ministers are. He appeals to the feel good people who want a nice message from their comfy reclining seats.

Other than that, I think he’s far better than some of the other TV preachers out there. If i had to watch a tv evangelist, i think Joel Osteen is probably the best among the group. although the Rev. Shueler is ok too.

Ive seen him a few times. I tend to think of him more of a motivational speaker with a christian twist rather than a “preacher”.

I used to like listening to him from time to time. But I did worry for his church. He always used to seem to be speaking on one subject - basically God loves you so be happy. I thought that if this is all the church is getting from him everything is very, very lopsided.

I think the guy is nothing more then a con artist. I watched him on larry king live one time and couldn’t help but roll my eyes everytime he opened his mouth.

[quote=DreadVandal]As a baptized protestant Christian, he is a “separated brother.” So we should love him and pray for him. As a religious teacher, we should take what he says with a grain of salt. There are good protestant theologians who have good insights (though they should be read with caution). But Olsteen’s christianity is the shallow, conceited, mega-church kind that appeals to self centered, suburban, middle class yuppies.
[/quote]

Yep. I’ve seen him preach once or twice - both times he was talking about how to pray for more wealth or something? :confused: I didn’t understand - I would think Jesus would want us to lessen our attachment to material things and not pray for bigger houses, fancy cars, whatever…

[quote=Celia]Yep. I’ve seen him preach once or twice - both times he was talking about how to pray for more wealth or something? :confused: I didn’t understand - I would think Jesus would want us to lessen our attachment to material things and not pray for bigger houses, fancy cars, whatever…
[/quote]

That’s the hip Christianity today. I think its largely influenced by the success of american capitalism and the idea that God wants you to be materially blessed in this life. The more twisted of these t.v. preachers even claim that poverty is a sin and a bad witness.

He’s using God to legitimize his self help teachings. He’s piggybacking on God’s reputation or something. Like Dr. Phil did with Oprah.

I started a post a while back on him, and I learned quite a bit.

Prior I knew he did not have a ministers license but his father does.

I don’t even know if he has a good moral christian purpose in what he is doing, I think personal wealth has overcome him, I would like to see the breakdown of his charities vs persoanl income, I will not make any assumptions here.

We have a business news channel here (actually we don’t have it as we’d have to pay for it but we can see what’s on it when channel browsing).

I was surpised to find yesterday morning when flicking between news channels looking at oil blast news that the current programme was “Joel Osteen”.

I want to mess up his hair and feed him a twinkie… :smiley:

I have a Catholic friend who is a Joel Osteen fanatic. While I think he is harmless, I would like to know how what he teaches contadicts Catholic teaching.

God Bless

[quote=mikeledes]I have a Catholic friend who is a Joel Osteen fanatic. While I think he is harmless, I would like to know how what he teaches contadicts Catholic teaching.

God Bless
[/quote]

Well, besides the fact that he teaches general protestant doctrines as opposed to Catholic doctrines concerning the nature of the Church and the Sacraments; he also teaches the “health and wealth” gospel. The health and wealth Gospel holds that God wants everyone to be materially blessed and healthy in this life and that all we have to do is claim health and wealth in the name of Jesus and it is ours. Also, it seems to me that much of his preaching is focused on self fulfillment and happiness; rather than on embracing the suffering of the cross. Any Christianity that tries to avoid suffering is a Christianity without the cross. A Christianity without the cross is another gospel.

I hate to resort to ad hominem,
but something about Osteen’s shiny face, slicked back hair, and huge toothy smile reminds me of a huckster.
I can’t even stand to listen to him.
Love, Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3).

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.