John 1

1 In the beginning, the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Am i right in assuming :doh2: that we all believe JESUS is the Word in John 1:1, but sola scriptura is not the written Word of God?

Well sola scriptura is NOT the word of GOD! :smiley:

Sola scriptura is a nice way of saying that I do not believe that Jesus founded 1 Church, put a guy at the head of it and ordered it to go a spread HIS words to the ends of the earth.

You see, Jesus did not say “here take this book, read it and everything you need you can find the answer in there”

If that was the case, we would not have different Christians, have diverging beliefs on the same issues. I mean c’mon the Holy Spirit must a really confused spirit if this was true.

Baptism. Is it a Sacrament or NOT
Baptism. Does it make a change / live a mark or NOT
Baptism. Infant or NOT

And this is but just 1 item, the list of diverging theology is huge. This is way there are something like 40,000 Christian denominations. Each claiming to have the truth.

Meanwhile, Jesus did found 1 Church, to it HE gave the power of keys (binding and loosing) and the power to forgive OR retain sins.

Is not that amazing? No High Priest of Israel had such power.

And HE promised HE would remain with HIS Church until the end of the world.

As for the Word of GOD we do say that the Bible is Divinely inspired and hence it contains the word of GOD.

That’s the Word… Logos that was also used by Philo Judaeus of Alexandria…

Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah.

(The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah   3)

In reality the “word” has neither beginning nor ending. The letters of the “word” are those qualities which appeared in Christ and not his physical body.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 149)

I’m not sure i understand. So was he GOD when he was flesh?

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

I don’t understand the question. Sola scriptura is not the word of God. It the written word of God. It is the practice of holding doctrine and teaching accountable to scripture.
Perhaps you could clarify.

Jon

Perhaps St. Thomas can clarify it for you. :wink:

John Chapter 20
20:27 Next, he said to Thomas: “Look at my hands, and place your finger here; and bring your hand close, and place it at my side. And do not choose to be unbelieving, but faithful.” 20:28 **Thomas responded and said to him, “My Lord and my God.” **
20:29 Jesus said to him: “You have seen me, Thomas, so you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Is that clear enough? :thumbsup:

The word in John 1:1 is the Son, the second person of the trinity. Jesus is the historical incarnation of the Son.

So you do not believe the Bible was written by God?

To whom is this directed?

Jon

We need to be accurate when we speak or write.
Neither GOD the Father nor GOD the SON wrote anything.

Now GOD the Holy Spirit INSPIRED the sacred authors of the Old Testament and the New Testament to write the books, letters, songs that make up the Bible.
THEN the CHURCH founded by Jesus Christ collected all the books that SHE deemed inspired and Canonized them to the form we have now days.
Which is amazingly soo similar to books that have been discovered thousands of years after they were written and confirm the accuracy of the copies we have now.
So in Short we say that the Bible is inerrant (No errors) inspired (by GOD) but written by humans.
We can then say and affirm that the “Author” of the Bible is GOD as HE provided the inspiration and guide to the people that did write it.

Strongs

3056 lógos (from 3004 /légō, “speaking to a conclusion”) – a word, being the expression of a thought; a saying. 3056 /lógos (“word”) is preeminently used of Christ (Jn 1:1), expressing the thoughts of the Father through the Spirit.

[3056 (lógos) is a common term (used 330 times in the NT) with regards to a person sharing a message (discourse, “communication-speech”). 3056 (lógos) is a broad term meaning “reasoning expressed by words.”]

Faith Data base

logos
logou
3056 logos {log’-os} from 3004; TDNT - 4:69,505; n m 1) of speech 1a) a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea 1b) what someone has said 1b1) a word 1b2) the sayings of God 1b3) decree, mandate or order 1b4) of the moral precepts given by God 1b5) Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets 1b6) what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim 1c) discourse 1c1) the act of speaking, speech 1c2) the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking 1c3) a kind or style of speaking 1c4) a continuous speaking discourse - instruction 1d) doctrine, teaching 1e) anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative 1f) matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law 1g) the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed 2) its use as respect to the MIND alone 2a) reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating 2b) account, i.e. regard, consideration 2c) account, i.e. reckoning, score 2d) account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment 2e) relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation 2e1) reason would 2f) reason, cause, ground 3) In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world’s life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man’s salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds. ++++ A Greek philosopher named Heraclitus first used the term Logos around 600 B.C. to designate the divine reason or plan which coordinates a changing universe. This word was well suited to John’s purpose in John 1.

Allright, getting a touch particular there (we do know GOD did not physically write the Bible but he did physically write), but you do believe GOD was the author so we can say He in fact did write it as He instructed in both the OT and NT. KInda like an autobiography. Even if it is allegedly only inspired, these are the works and sayings of our LORD. And that makes sola scriptura fine for instruction as in 1 Tim 3:16. And this is directed at any who want to answer the previous question i posted. JESUS* is *coming!

What’s the difference whether it was written or oral? I think what you are saying here is there is a difference. It’s the Word of GOD. JESUS is the Word that became flesh. Amen?

Footnote from the NAB

1 [1-18] The prologue states the main themes of the gospel: life, light, truth, the world, testimony, and the preexistence of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Logos, who reveals God the Father. In origin, it was probably an early Christian hymn. Its closest parallel is in other christological hymns, ⇒ Col 1:15-20 and ⇒ Philippians 2:6-11. Its core (⇒ John 1:1-5, ⇒ 10-11, ⇒ 14) is poetic in structure, with short phrases linked by “staircase parallelism,” in which the last word of one phrase becomes the first word of the next. Prose inserts (at least ⇒ John 1:6-8, ⇒ 15) deal with John the Baptist.

2 [1] In the beginning: also the first words of the Old Testament (⇒ Genesis 1:1). Was: this verb is used three times with different meanings in this verse: existence, relationship, and predication. The Word (Greek logos): this term combines God’s dynamic, creative word (Genesis), personified preexistent Wisdom as the instrument of God’s creative activity (Proverbs), and the ultimate intelligibility of reality (Hellenistic philosophy). With God: the Greek preposition here connotes communication with another. Was God: lack of a definite article with “God” in Greek signifies predication rather than identification.

Are you saying that the bible is God? :hmmm:

No. What I’m saying is that sola scriptura is a practice, a practice of the Church to hold teachings and doctrine accountable to scripture. That’s all it is. It isn’t scripture itself.
Perhaps you can help the discussion by clarifying two things:

1. what is your definition of sola scriptura?
  2. what communion are you a member of? The use of the term “protestant” in your profile tells us nothing.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.