John 12, 1-8

1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus went to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom he had raised from the dead.
2 They gave a dinner for him there; Martha waited on them and Lazarus was among those at table.
3 Mary brought in a pound of very costly ointment, pure nard, and with it anointed the feet of Jesus, wiping them with her hair; the house was filled with the scent of the ointment.
4 Then Judas Iscariot – one of his disciples, the man who was to betray him-said,
5 'Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?'
6 He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he was in charge of the common fund and used to help himself to the contents.
7 So Jesus said, ‘Leave her alone; let her keep it for the day of my burial.
8 You have the poor with you always, you will not always have me.’

Was Judas a communist?

I don’t think Communism was even thought of it those days

Right, it would be rather anachronistic to call Judas Iscariot a communist by our terms.

Sure, I mean this is exactly the same thing that big part of the communists try to “explicit” their pseudo-goodness, I received these words on a Catholic newsletter I participate.

What Catholic newsletter are you talking about???

It’s one from Brazil, I assure you this newsletter is serious, certainly was my fault on express what I would like to say.

What I want to know is if John 12, 1-8 is a good part of the Bible to prove to neo-communists (I live in Latin America) that Jesus was not “the greatest Communist” ever in history, as they usually try to persuade the poor citizens.

I think now it’s better written:cool:

How did you come to the conclusion that Judas Iscariot was a communist???

An interpretation of the verses from the Haydock Bible Commentary

Ver. 1. On the tenth day of the month the Jews were accustomed to collect the lambs, and other things in preparation for the ensuing great feast. On this day, likewise, they generally had a small feast, or treat for their friends, at which time Jesus coming to Bethania, joined his friends in their entertainment. This was most likely in the house of Lazarus, Martha and Mary. Martha served at the table herself, thinking herself happy in waiting on Jesus, whom she considered as her Lord and God. Lazarus was one of them that were at table, to shew himself alive, by speaking and eating with them, and thus confounding the inexcusable incredulity of the Jews. And Mary too shewed her loving attachment to Jesus, by anointing his feet with her precious ointment. (Theophylactus, St. Augustine, and St. Chrysostom)

Ver. 6. Judas did not then begin to be wicked: he followed Christ, not in heart, but in body only. This our Master tolerated, to give us a lesson to tolerate the bad, rather than divide the body. (St. Augustine, in Joan. tract. 50.)

Ver. 8. Me you have not always with you. He speaks of his corporal presence; for by his majesty, by his providence, by his ineffable and invincible grace, he ever fulfils what he said, (Matthew xxviii.) Behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world. (St. Augustine, tract. 50 in Joan.)

:stuck_out_tongue: I did not get any conclusion about Judas and Communism:o , the first post was exactly a copy and paste of the question we received on our discussion group (I’ve said it was the newsletter, my fault, sorry) made by a member, the second post was the post script made by the same member after question:)

5 'Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?'
6 He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he was in charge of the common fund and used to help himself to the contents.

The verses above are the only related to the doubt:)

Judas was a thief who was robbing the “Apostolic Till”, according to John’s Gospel.

He was using the “this could have been sold for 300…” line so that he could have the opportunity to withdraw future funds.

Maybe you could say Judas was a Senator!!! :wink:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Am I correct in assuming that by “communist” you mean one who believes in sharing wealth with the poor?

Judas was not a communist. He was upset about the woman spending the money on perfumed ointment for Jesus only because he wished she would have given Jesus the money instead - which would then go into the purse he was in charge of. Then he could steal it. (Now, there might be some who consider that describes communists - that is, they are thieves. They want the money from the rich, not so they can share it, but so they can get it for themselves! :)) Judas was lying about wanting it to share with the poor.

You got the point I am trying to talk about, as said above asking “Was Judas a Communist?” is really a anachronism, probably the best would be, are the Communists - knowing the reality of Latin America - a Judas wannabe? A Brazilian association called “Cultural Association Montfort” www.montfort.org.br pointed that the last verses express that God made both, rich and poor so surely the economic situation of anybody has nothing to do with their salvation, a non-class society would be anti-Catholic. Adding what happened in Soviet Union, where a minority elite had all the money of the nation and the citizens themselves lived in a big misery, mainly in Ukraine, I can see similarities on Judas’ way of thought and the Lenism-Marxism rhetoric.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.